The Down Time between Pod. School and Residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DVMDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are trying to plan a trip for after he is done with podiatry school. He is a first year, but his summers are taken up until he graduates in 2020 so we were trying to plan for something after that.
I just wanted to know, how much "down time" did people have between graduation and starting their residency? We would need like 3 weeks, roughly, is this even possible or do you take your boards and then start residency and not get any time off?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Its very possible, but a bunch of things have to fall into place.

Ideally, he'll match
(1) where he wants to match
(2) at a program with a communicative program director who will indicate exactly when he wants him to start and shares this as early as possible
(3) at a program that doesn't require a bunch of early visits between graduating and residency to do paperwork / EMR training
(4) in a town where its easy to find housing and get things set up (and you ended your lease / housing arrangement at your last home with perfect timing)
(5) and nothing will go wrong in between (like a family member dying)

I was planning an international trip between graduation and residency. It didn't happen.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to echo what @heybrother said, it is possible but only if things work out perfectly. A bad way to start off your residency is telling your director you can't be there for the mandatory orientation because you're on vacation. 3 years in advance is a long time to plan and 3 weeks is a long time for a vacation

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all the above. The time between school and residency can quickly become spoken for by your residency program/other necessary commitments. You will probably have a better idea after match once you start hearing about orientation/etc. I personally wouldn't make hard and fast plans this far in advance.

I went to Europe. It was amazing. Do it if you can. 3 weeks is probably too long though.