1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

The dreaded abortion question.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by lurker884, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurker884

lurker884 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm having trouble deciding on what to say when they ask me about my thoughts on women getting abortions. I just can't understand why any woman would murder her child. I think it's terrible what feminists are doing to their children stripping the father's of all their rights and murdering children.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/Feminism/feminism_is_evil.htm

But I feel if I say my true, conservative views, I will be called racist/sexist/misogyn etc. which is terrible. Why aren't feminsts called sexist when they try to desprive men of their fatherly rights?

I thought feminism and liberalism was about respecting other people's opinions. Why am I so afraid of saying what I truly believe when I'm scared that they will reject me for my personal beliefs?

What should I do in the interview? What would other premeds recommend?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. QuantumMechanic

QuantumMechanic Avatar=One of the Greats
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    oh gawd

typical conservative making unfair generalizations

4. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I see a lot of ethical dilemma and political contravercy questions coming up... but this one doesn't seem that high on the list to me.

EDIT: Oh wow, just clicked on the link. Never mind, joke topic. :laugh:

5. rajad10

rajad10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    at least ashley judd is beautiful, even with her" "this is what a feminist looks like" shirt

6. QuantumMechanic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    man i thought i had a chance, but i guess since she's a feminist, she's not straight :(

7. sfnix

sfnix Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    can we please not take this seriously and not make a big deal about it, like lurker's previous post concerning women in medicine???

8. lurker884

Removed

Why do people think I am joking about this? These are honestly my views and I want to know if i should tell people how I feel or hide them?

9. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

You aren't required to check your personal beliefs at the door. At the same time, the patient isn't required to accept your beliefs when they enter your clinic. To practice medicine you must understand that none of your patients will agree with you on all things religious, political, and social. Can you treat them equally and provide them with the best medical care you have to offer?

Would you work in a practice where other physicians didn't share your views on abortion? Would you refer the patient to one of these physicians in the interest of your patient? Would you refuse to assist your patient what-so-ever in the pursuit of the procedure?

Don't be afraid of what you believe but understand how your views impact your practice of medicine.

10. MinnyGophers

MinnyGophers Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Because you're a troll who will be banned shortly if you keep this up.

And I'm sure those women who were raped are thinking about whether or not they are depriving the "father" from his "fatherly rights" :rolleyes:

I sincerely hope I never have to work with you, or be a patient of yours... It's fine to have differing views if you have informed reasons, but you are just plain ignorant.

TROLL.

11. QuantumMechanic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    because you incorrectly referred to a fetus as a child

12. LauraPaz

LauraPaz Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Glad someone else picked up on the correlation as quickly as I did. Don't feed the troll!

13. pufferfish

pufferfish Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

phht...you'd have a better chance with whoopi... with your mug and all...

14. Captain Fantastic

Physician 10+ Year Member

I took the bait. :oops: Maybe I should change my moniker to ed2gullible. Doh!

15. QuantumMechanic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    chicks don't dig physicists :(

16. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    everyone let this thread die.
    Take this to the everyone forum @ the dr's lounge. consider your viewpoints to be more damaging to your chances of getting into med school then it is beneficial.

17. lurker884

Removed

The human cell is the basic unit of human life. When a sperm fertilizes an egg the new cell is human life.

Murder = destroying human life.

Therefore, abortion = murder

18. Vincir

Vincir Well blah blah fishcakes
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alas, that website is actually not a joke and that's what makes it even more sad.

If you really are serious in asking whether or not you should speak your mind, whether on the topic of abortion (denying fathers' rights) and women in medicine (denying man's rightful place), realize that the way you frame your argument and your opinions seems to be very one-sided, something that medical school interviews or essays really don't value. They want to see that you at least have some sort of understanding of why these issues are contentious from other angles and they want to know what you would say to address the concerns of people on the other side, rather than simply coming out with blanket statements or condemnations to say "this is where I stand."

(just trying to add some rationality to the flames that are sure to engulf this thread soon enough.)

19. rajad10

rajad10 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    is that the transitive property of mathematics?

20. VPDcurt

VPDcurt 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hmmmm

21. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator

Medical Student
    :laugh:

22. QuantumMechanic

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    for the record: that was supposed to be ironic

23. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    We should all advise him to aggressively express his belifes to the adcoms. Always argue personal viewpoints vehemently! :smuggrin:

24. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    I am someone who is firmly in the pro-life camp, but the way the original poster worded his stance is self defeating if he or she is going to a medical school interview.

Please look carefully at the sentence structure of your argument. You treat the people who are pro-choice as if in a black and white situation. The whole argument over abortion is far from black and white and there are many shades of gray were exceptions must be made etc. It is like the debates over slavery. The Northeners treated the Southerners with utter contempt and scorn - but in reality, things were very comlpex and complicated. Whenever I read a history book, I avoid the ones that are loaded with propaganda and get straight to the facts. There are numerous amounts of Pro North and Pro South books out there ~ just visit your major book store. It is harder to find a book that is objective.

The same can be said for abortion. What about situations of rape? What about situations of ectopic pregnancy? What if you are in Uganda and the mother who is pregnant has 4 other children to feed already and there is a desperate famine in the land already? ~ that sort of thing.

Sure you can tell the adcoms how you feel about abortion. But make certain it is done in a way that respects the other side's opinion. Don't be a one sided person who is non receptive to the other side's argument - otherwise you will look like a poor medical canidate just like the "feminist" you constructed in this thread. In philosophy there is something called, argumentum ad homenim which basically means that instead of dealing with the merits of an opposing side's argument, you fallaciously resort to attacking the reputation and moral character of the opposing side or reffer to his low intelligence, lower social status, lack of education, or similar short commings.

The adcoms are not going to like hearing someone who paints the other side as being ad homenim. This doesn't mean the adcoms are prochoice or prolife - they just want someone who is level headed and can come to his or her conclusions based on sound evidence from both sides.

Trust me, I am very prolife - but if I were the adcoms and someone who is pro life walked into an interview and started spewing out all sorts of retorical language on how the other side is ad homenim that canidate would be a red flag. Likewise, if you are pro-choice and walked into the interview and spewed out all sorts of biased language, that too would send a red flag.

If you are asked this question on an interview, my advice to you is to use Kantian/Rawlsian methods of arguments to state your position. Remember this is medical school, they aren't going to tolerate half baked opinions. Your arguments, whether they be pro life or pro choice must be solidly grounded in reasoning. The mediocre prolife or prochoice stuff we often see on SDN won't cut it.

C&C

25. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Looks like Lurker884 was banned.

Well I don't know this poster too well as I do not regularly post in the pre-allopathic section, but I will take it with good faith that the moderators banned him not for his prolife stance, but for his past threads/post which might have been inappropriate.

And it looks like a wasted my previous post too :p

C&C

26. sfnix

sfnix Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i think it should be clarified that there exists no scholarly debate concerning any sort of justification for slavery. there is a debate over the inferred idea of "Northerners" being some sort of freedom fighting group looking out only for civil rights and "Southerners" being idiots who just wanted to enslave the "inferior race." There definitely existed a significant number of people in the south that fought for the abolishment of slavery (southern shakers for example), but the problem, IMO, was some racism coupled with a bunch of $$$$. too many rich slave owners stood to lose too much money by abolishing slavery. anytime the rich might lose $$$, there is hell to pay for poor people (principle applies to nearly all human rights problems that currently exist in the world).

27. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet

This thread is pointless now so I'm closing it.

Anybody who wants to discuss this issue is more than welcome to do so in Topics in Healthcare or, if you possess a flamesuit, in Everyone.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.