The Dreaded Plateau

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcohen85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sigh, I've unfortuantely encountered a plateau in my practice scores, and it is 5-6 points below my overall goal score!
I study 4-5 hours every day, and lately have been doing a lot of Kaplan topicals.
any advice to help me bump up my score?? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was stuck before the test too, and I hit my problem areas hard core for the last two weeks. I also took the Thursday and Friday before the test off to give myself time to relax, and I think that helped a lot. I was super calm that day.

:luck:

shantster said:
I was stuck before the test too, and I hit my problem areas hard core for the last two weeks. I also took the Thursday and Friday before the test off to give myself time to relax, and I think that helped a lot. I was super calm that day.

:luck:

those are both good ideas! i definitely think i need to relax more too. the night before i take practice exams i literally get sick b/c i am so nervous, and then i toss and turn all night :-\ how is it possible to relax before taking the mcat though??? haha

also, i saw your mdapplicants profile, congrats on that score!!! :) jeez i wish i was in that sort of plateau. in my dreams maybe!

Have you thought about why you get nervous before practice tests? Maybe you're approaching them with the wrong mindset? What if you thought of them as opportunities to expose your weaknesses so you can improve...?

I usually get pumped before practice tests, cuz I wanna see if I can beat my previous score. Maybe you could try that?

What I'm trying to say is that there's a good kind of stress that makes you push yourself, and the bad kind that's disabling (i.e. the kind that makes you sick). Adjust your mental game so its all good stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
superwillis said:
Have you thought about why you get nervous before practice tests? Maybe you're approaching them with the wrong mindset? What if you thought of them as opportunities to expose your weaknesses so you can improve...?

I usually get pumped before practice tests, cuz I wanna see if I can beat my previous score. Maybe you could try that?

What I'm trying to say is that there's a good kind of stress that makes you push yourself, and the bad kind that's disabling (i.e. the kind that makes you sick). Adjust your mental game so its all good stress.

hmm you know, i never really considered that. i guess since it was such an unconscious reaction [and it happens before anything big, like back when i took the SATs] i just accepted it. i'll try your method though, hopefully this is what is keeping me from improving and i can use the pysch-yourself-up method to help! thanks! :)

jcohen85 said:
those are both good ideas! i definitely think i need to relax more too. the night before i take practice exams i literally get sick b/c i am so nervous, and then i toss and turn all night :-\ how is it possible to relax before taking the mcat though??? haha

also, i saw your mdapplicants profile, congrats on that score!!! :) jeez i wish i was in that sort of plateau. in my dreams maybe!

Thanks! My score was a jump from my plateau so it was definitely a surprise.

Anyway, to relax before the test, I made sure that I kept up with taking care of my body - eating right, exercising, getting sleep. About two weeks before the test I began getting up earlier so that I'd be going to bed earlier. That night before, I went to Maggiano's with my family and family friends, and had a big Italian dinner and some wine. Definitely good for relaxing.