the dumbest essay questions....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moo

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Geeze, I hate writing about why I want to attend a particular school. I mean, aside from the top few schools, there is really no one reason that makes one school stand out from the rest. Ok, Mt. Sinai I applied to cuz they are the only ones to have a Dept of Geriatrics, and I really like taking care of the elderly. Yale, I like the philosophy. Harvard, I can write a lot about their HST program, cuz I've researched it thoroughly, but schools like Georgetown, what am I supposed to write? It's a medical school, and I feel lucky to get into it. I mean there isn't really anything that unique to that school. How are the rest of you handling this? I've looked at Gtown's website but there really isn't anything unique. PBL... blah, half the schools have that.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by moo:
•Geeze, I hate writing about why I want to attend a particular school. I mean, aside from the top few schools, there is really no one reason that makes one school stand out from the rest. Ok, Mt. Sinai I applied to cuz they are the only ones to have a Dept of Geriatrics, and I really like taking care of the elderly. Yale, I like the philosophy. Harvard, I can write a lot about their HST program, cuz I've researched it thoroughly, but schools like Georgetown, what am I supposed to write? It's a medical school, and I feel lucky to get into it. I mean there isn't really anything that unique to that school. How are the rest of you handling this? I've looked at Gtown's website but there really isn't anything unique. PBL... blah, half the schools have that.•

Hey moo.

Georgetown may be unique because they don't discriminate against Canadians! :) ;)

I've answered those questions by talking about the reputation of the school (even if they don't have one), the school's mission statement, the match list, my interest in living in the area, tidbits about the curriculum, even crap about sports teams (although only add this type of stuff after talking about other stuff). Try to sound informed. If you are uninspired or just force out generic crap, the schools can sense that. Take some time to research, and it will pay off in better essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out Peterson's "The Insiders Guide to Medical Schools" It's reviews by students, who, of course, loved the school. Then you get insider info like special programs, hospitals, cool things about the curriculum, etc., Then check the website for philosophy info. Mush all this stuff into some essay about why you are pumped about all these wonerful things the school has to offer.

Contact students who are in or who have recently graduated from the school and see what they have to say about why their school is unique.

Together

I agree with together.

If researching and reading about Georgetown does not give much insight into the school, then just post a topic in allopathic room. You'll get many response from GT and non-GT students.

From what I recall, GT has their unique philosophy in medicine and treating patients. During the interview, the coordinator, the infamous Ms. Sullivan gives a long intro to GT although I don't remember much about it now...

Another thing that stands out at GT, is that they don't condone or teach abortion, enuthanaisa or any other non-Catholic stuff. Not to say non-Catholics need-not-apply. There are many non-Catholics at GT now. Good luck~

Originally posted by booie00:
•I agree with together.

If researching and reading about Georgetown does not give much insight into the school, then just post a topic in allopathic room. You'll get many response from GT and non-GT students.

From what I recall, GT has their unique philosophy in medicine and treating patients. During the interview, the coordinator, the infamous Ms. Sullivan gives a long intro to GT although I don't remember much about it now...

Another thing that stands out at GT, is that they don't condone or teach abortion, enuthanaisa or any other non-Catholic stuff. Not to say non-Catholics need-not-apply. There are many non-Catholics at GT now. Good luck~•

Well, I am Catholic and pretty conservative in my views so that's not a problem for me! Should I bring religion into it? I mean, I don't want them to think I'm playing the religion game.