The ECE sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chinabuffet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my GPA from the ECE. And I must say they did a very bad job of converting my grades. My GPA is. . . .wait for it. . . . . . . . . 2.19!

Absolute joke. I went to University in the UK where they give you a score on a scale of 30-70. Most of the people on the course score between 55-60. Rarely people make it past 60. This GPA doesn't take into account how the University actually distributes and gives these marks. In my University they placed more emphasis on people passing (with a 50) than people scoring in high range. Therefore it is very common to see marks of 50 on several of the courses over the whole 5 years. The ECE obviously thinks a 50 means a 50 and has given me a crappy GPA in hopes to get into a University with. I have a friend who graduated with Honors and only had a GPA of 3.0. I think i'm screwed!

Comments anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, if i were you i would contact the programs i was most interested in and explain my situation to them. If your university marking system is thus, your's will not be a stray case. There must have been applicants (from the same univ.) hopefully before you with the same problem. You could also mail the program directors explaining your situation. Its better than not doing anything.

All the best.!

You should contact ECE first to solve the issue. If still you cant do that, then you should briefly mention in personal statment while you apply for dental schools.​

I just got my GPA from the ECE. And I must say they did a very bad job of converting my grades. My GPA is. . . .wait for it. . . . . . . . . 2.19!

Absolute joke. I went to University in the UK where they give you a score on a scale of 30-70. Most of the people on the course score between 55-60. Rarely people make it past 60. This GPA doesn't take into account how the University actually distributes and gives these marks. In my University they placed more emphasis on people passing (with a 50) than people scoring in high range. Therefore it is very common to see marks of 50 on several of the courses over the whole 5 years. The ECE obviously thinks a 50 means a 50 and has given me a crappy GPA in hopes to get into a University with. I have a friend who graduated with Honors and only had a GPA of 3.0. I think i'm screwed!

Comments anyone?

The evaluators at ECE are human; these are not computer generated reports. They draw conclusions from the material you send them. This is why it is a good idea to send something which puts your scores into perspective, e.g. a letter from your school explaining the scoring scale, and one certifying your standing in the class.
For a course-by-course report, I think it is mandatory to send a copy of your university's published curriculum. This should help equate your credit hours.

Call them and get in touch with the specific person who prepared your report (yes, it's possible). Explain the situation and ask if they would do a repeat evaluation in light of new material you could send.

Members don't see this ad :)

Comments anyone?

hi, ECE sucks , i m from india ... in ur college too 65 was highest .... i think they should evaluated according to wat score is highest & for passing not according to US grades .... it will be all time higher than my country score ...... any ways can't do anything , is there anyother evalution board in US whose grades r valid for school?

hi, ECE sucks , i m from india ... in ur college too 65 was highest .... i think they should evaluated according to wat score is highest & for passing not according to US grades .... it will be all time higher than my country score ...... any ways can't do anything , is there anyother evalution board in US whose grades r valid for school?

There are 2 other evaluation boards out there but most schools are only accepting ECE reports. I have sent an email to my evaluator (thanks to peoples advise) in hopes of getting it reevaluated. But how much higher can they possibly make it? Maybe a good lesson to other students out there is to make sure they score good while in Dental School.