The Effect of Work Experience? (MSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danxthexman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for MSW programs for next fall 2010. How much edge would a very good work experience give me as an applicant? My GPA is 3.0 and my GRE is 1240. I've been working at a DV shelter for about a year and I am getting a great experience and training there. My GPA is on the low side and my GRE is average. After weighing in all those factors, what do you guys think? Do I have a shot for, lets say, Boston U?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have no clue about BU admissions, but doing any work related to the field always looks good as long as you can get a good letter of recommendation from a supervisor.

Your numbers sound good enough to get you past the first cut. Actually, I think most MSW programs look at your application as a whole rather than having a # cut. Anyway, if they do I think you might be ok. From what I remember when applying to MSW programs, their minimum gpa was a 2.7, and a number of them have conditional acceptances.

Work experience will be helpful if it was a very meaningful one with lots of interesting experiences. If you spent most of your time photocopying stuff for their business offices, then it might not make a huge impact. That being said, very good experiences, I think, will be a big help! A lot of MSW programs are looking for that passion for vulnerable populations. They want people who feel "called" for it.