The End All For Average Dentist Salary (Poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was your net income last year (2009) ?

• Less than $50,000

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • $50,001 - $80,000

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • $80,001 - $100,000

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • $100,001 - $120,000

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • $120,001 - $140,000

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • $140,001 - $160,000

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • $160,001 - $175,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $170,001 - $200,000

• $200,001 - $250,000

• Greater than $250,000

Votes: 11 22.9%

• Total voters

razorback2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much money the average dentist makes seems to be a hot topic in this forum, so lets get some real numbers...

Please, only vote on the poll if you are a practicing dentist in order to keep the numbers at a high level of integrity. All votes will be placed anonymously.

Some of us predents are really interested in the results, as I am sure many practicing dentists are as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't expect there to be THAT many dentists here for this to be accurate... A poll like this would be more useful somewhere like dentaltown perhaps.

A sample size of a few dozen SDNers isn't going to be representative of anything. Isn't the national average $187K for GPs? That's an average that includes those making millions and millions and those making $80K a year in Georgia. If anyone can get the numbers for the Median income of dentists in the US, or a range like the middle 50% of dentists, that might be more useful.

Members don't see this ad :)
A sample size of a few dozen SDNers isn't going to be representative of anything. Isn't the national average $187K for GPs? That's an average that includes those making millions and millions and those making $80K a year in Georgia. If anyone can get the numbers for the Median income of dentists in the US, or a range like the middle 50% of dentists, that might be more useful.
:laugh:

even dentists working for the state typically make more than that - at least 6 figs (well unless they work for Dept of Corrections)

:laugh:

even dentists working for the state typically make more than that - at least 6 figs (well unless they work for Dept of Corrections)

How do you know? A few of my colleagues that I graduated with make less than 6 figures. Many from my class could only find work in corporations, dental mills, or community health centers way out in the boonies - though they make good money. One of them even went to work at Kool Smiles (horrible!). You just never hear about it because nobody is going to get on the internet and brag about having a low salary or a crappy job. Granted, we are new docs and many of us chose to practice in saturated areas. It's just funny when bright-eyed dental students and pre-dents just KNOW they're going to get an awesome job in a fancy FFS practice making 200K fresh out of school. I wish you guys all the best of luck and hope you'll come out of school with realistic expectations.

It's just funny when bright-eyed dental students and pre-dents just KNOW they're going to get an awesome job in a fancy FFS practice making 200K fresh out of school. I wish you guys all the best of luck and hope you'll come out of school with realistic expectations.

:thumbup: Exactly. I turned down guaranteed $160k plus bonuses at a medicaid mill to make half that as an associate in a great little town working at a private practice I love. I don't work very many hours yet, but things are picking up and the practice is growing with me. To me, this was so much more important than making a fortune but burning out and not having enough time to even enjoy what I was doing. I decided that I would learn nothing but bad habits at a place like that, and I am so happy that I am doing quality and ethical work. It's all about perspective.

I am so surprised to see so many dentists make under 50Gs i mean you guys went to school for 4 years. My secretary makes 45. I guess Dentistry is not going to be the gold mine everyone is expecting; only some achieve it.

I am so surprised to see so many dentists make under 50Gs i mean you guys went to school for 4 years. My secretary makes 45. I guess Dentistry is not going to be the gold mine everyone is expecting; only some achieve it.

I think those are residents and part-timers. Don't worry. :)

I really hope your future school offers some kind of course on evidence-based dentistry.

4 years? its 8 plus all the debt and hard work

yea again even if we have dentists voting for this poll, most of them are still fairly younger = less time to have their own practice, etc. = less income for many of them.

oooor....people are just screwing around with the poll because they think it's dumb....

:cool:

oooor....people are just screwing around with the poll because they think it's dumb....

:cool:

+1

This topic has been beaten to death. Do a search.

From the ADA 2008 survey of new dentists:

$203,340 is the average net income of a gp dentist who owns his/her own practice

$108,610 was the mean for an associate gp.

These are averages and can go up or down depending on your skill/speed/location of practice