The end of it all...almost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medivac

EM Supahstah
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I go through the match for the second time. It has been a really wild 5 years on active duty. I thought I would throw a few cents into the mix

I have been lurking on the board for awhile reading the pros/cons that everyone has been posting on HPSP, military medicine, etc etc. I think some really valid points have been made. I went into this whole process with my eyes wide open, completely distrusting everything the recruiter was trying to feed me (I'm a navy brat, with my dad doing his residency at the same hospital where I eventually did my transitional year). Even so, I am constantly amazed by what navy medicine has thrown at me.

With all the negatives that I have suffered through: sweater nurse corps running the clinic into the ground, working with less supplies than a third world clinic, gettting sent to sea while on shore duty with 12 hours notice, and the daily frustration of yet another lame-ass instruction that makes a one step process into 13; the overall experience has been amazing.

My transitional year was great fun. I can highly recommend NMC-Portsmouth. I had call free months, enjoyed the Hampton Roads area, but still felt like I had good training going into my operational tour.

I did the tropical medicine course offered by NSHS in Bethesda with a two week tour to South America. I highly recommend this course if you can swing the TAD. Good training, and it's like being back in college again!

I was selected for flight surgery training, and did my 6 months down in Pensacola. I recommend the second class for FS, as you get good weather with low rents. Sitting in a T-34 for the first time, I had one of those "what in the hell am I DOING here moments" that lasted through every flight with the instructor. Not many of your civilian (or other branch) docs can say they've been at the controls of a training aircraft for free!

I have been to sea a few times. Yeah, not the best of times. There is nothing quite like celebrating the 4th of July, however, while aboard a carrier. Our fireworks rivaled anything back home. Before joining the military I was not the most patriotic soul (and still not rabid about it), but standing on the deck hearing the national anthem got to me.

My squadron is great. I have become more comfortable with my role as a physician (though I think my skill set is decreasing by the day...). There are definite aspects that I will miss.

Over all though, to all those considering the HPSP and the military, do your homework. Look into the bottom line. Ask around to those here. Chose your branch carefully.

I do not regret a moment of the last 5 years. I will be starting my "real" career a little later than I thought I would, and I will be a little older than the other residents with me, but it's the journey, not the destination, right?

PS. I'm not usually this Pollyanna. Find me on a day when everyone is scamming for SIQ and PRT waivers, and see me rant on that for awhile. The weather is too nice, and I am too excited about tomorrow's match to be negative today :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Stand by for personal attacks...

I think you have a healthy attitude about military medicine. If you are flexible it can be an enjoyable experience. Do you feel like doing a GMO tour has had a positive effect on your career? Did it impact your residency choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
sounds like you had a decent time. If you could look back and if a deferment was available would you take it or do your time as a FS. I have had a few people tell me serve your time back as anything but an attending, so I am curious if deferment is really a better route or just do FS and get out? Let me know

No program seemed to have a problem with my military service. In fact, most commented on how attractive I was as an applicant due to my "maturity" (if only they knew...), having taken step 3, and my experience with patients.

If I had been offered a deferrment as a medical student or an intern? Honestly, I don't know. I plan on being EM. EM in the military means you are one of the most deployable assets available for disasters, war torn areas, etc. So as an attending paying back my time (in my prime babymaking years) I would be deployed a good deal of the time. I don't know if I would have had that forethought as an intern or medical student.

That being said, hindsight being 20/20, I loved being a navy flight surgeon. I love flying, I love the cameraderie of a squadron, and I like the opportunities that were available. Doesn't mean I want to be a FS for the remainer of my career, but man, it was a fun re-adolescence after the adult-ness of internship!!

medivac said:
Tomorrow I go through the match for the second time. It has been a really wild 5 years on active duty. I thought I would throw a few cents into the mix

I have been lurking on the board for awhile reading the pros/cons that everyone has been posting on HPSP, military medicine, etc etc. I think some really valid points have been made. I went into this whole process with my eyes wide open, completely distrusting everything the recruiter was trying to feed me (I'm a navy brat, with my dad doing his residency at the same hospital where I eventually did my transitional year). Even so, I am constantly amazed by what navy medicine has thrown at me.

With all the negatives that I have suffered through: sweater nurse corps running the clinic into the ground, working with less supplies than a third world clinic, gettting sent to sea while on shore duty with 12 hours notice, and the daily frustration of yet another lame-ass instruction that makes a one step process into 13; the overall experience has been amazing.

My transitional year was great fun. I can highly recommend NMC-Portsmouth. I had call free months, enjoyed the Hampton Roads area, but still felt like I had good training going into my operational tour.

I did the tropical medicine course offered by NSHS in Bethesda with a two week tour to South America. I highly recommend this course if you can swing the TAD. Good training, and it's like being back in college again!

I was selected for flight surgery training, and did my 6 months down in Pensacola. I recommend the second class for FS, as you get good weather with low rents. Sitting in a T-34 for the first time, I had one of those "what in the hell am I DOING here moments" that lasted through every flight with the instructor. Not many of your civilian (or other branch) docs can say they've been at the controls of a training aircraft for free!

I have been to sea a few times. Yeah, not the best of times. There is nothing quite like celebrating the 4th of July, however, while aboard a carrier. Our fireworks rivaled anything back home. Before joining the military I was not the most patriotic soul (and still not rabid about it), but standing on the deck hearing the national anthem got to me.

My squadron is great. I have become more comfortable with my role as a physician (though I think my skill set is decreasing by the day...). There are definite aspects that I will miss.

Over all though, to all those considering the HPSP and the military, do your homework. Look into the bottom line. Ask around to those here. Chose your branch carefully.

I do not regret a moment of the last 5 years. I will be starting my "real" career a little later than I thought I would, and I will be a little older than the other residents with me, but it's the journey, not the destination, right?

PS. I'm not usually this Pollyanna. Find me on a day when everyone is scamming for SIQ and PRT waivers, and see me rant on that for awhile. The weather is too nice, and I am too excited about tomorrow's match to be negative today :love:

Congratulations on getting this behind you. No matter how you may rationalize it, time spent as a FS or GMO is "non-value added" time.

IgD said:
Stand by for personal attacks...

I think you have a healthy attitude about military medicine. If you are flexible it can be an enjoyable experience. Do you feel like doing a GMO tour has had a positive effect on your career? Did it impact your residency choice?

A little over dramatizing, IgD. Note she is getting out.

Best of luck on your match, wherever it takes you.

I guess, yes, in the strictest career sense, my FS time was no-value, as I am not a boarded physician. But how can you say that having a great lifestyle, meeting amazing people, and adding to your total life experiences as no value?

I understand the frustration with the military system, I do. Hence my getting out when I can. But, as bad as it ever was, I did sign on the line, and I did get my med school paid for. Ultimately, I do think I got more out of the navy than they managed to get out of me, so I win!

trixmd--do you think the key west det was worth no value? :laugh:

medivac said:
I guess, yes, in the strictest career sense, my FS time was no-value, as I am not a boarded physician. But how can you say that having a great lifestyle, meeting amazing people, and adding to your total life experiences as no value?

I understand the frustration with the military system, I do. Hence my getting out when I can. But, as bad as it ever was, I did sign on the line, and I did get my med school paid for. Ultimately, I do think I got more out of the navy than they managed to get out of me, so I win!

I agree with everything medicvac has stated. All programs remarked that my time in the military is something that really set me above other applicants. I learned a lot about leadership, maturity, and teamwork during my time. I disagree that is no value added. Just my two cents.

Key West was of such little value that I need to join your bubbas in Curacao to try to get some kind of additional educational/real life experience courtesy of the Naval Air Forces..

Go Heels. :laugh:

medivac said: