The end of primary care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soeagerun2or

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I always hated these threads about articles but this particular one struck a nerve. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120710036831882059.html?mod=hpp_us_personal_journal

How do people feel about ancillary staff determining themselves that they are capable of providing primary care independent of a physician. What will happen to fields like Family, Internal, and Pediatric Medicine? Should a more firm definition of what medicine is and limitations on who can practice "medicine" be sought?

Members don't see this ad.

How do people feel about ancillary staff determining themselves that they are capable of providing primary care independent of a physician. What will happen to fields like Family, Internal, and Pediatric Medicine? Should a more firm definition of what medicine is and limitations on who can practice "medicine" be sought?

The only specialty that I really think is in jeapordy of being lost to NPs and PAs is Family Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think thats fine.
let NPs and PAs do primary and physicians will only do specialty.

Since this thread is big on anecdotes so far, I'll mention that most of the mid-levels in my area are in specialty care. If you see the local GI practice, a CRNP will determine if you need a colonoscopy, EGD, or both, and then throw in sprue antibodies for good measure, even if you weigh in excess of 300 pounds and your chief complaint is constipation. The doctors exist to do endoscopies. The local cardiologists run the same type of practice, existing solely to perform catheterizations whether necessary or not and ordering B-natriuretic peptides on everyone who sneezes.

As far as Family Medicine "being lost to NP's and PA's", don't hold your breath. As long as healthcare remains a free market system (albeit just barely), I'm not overly concerned about being outperformed by a mid-level. Anyone who is should have saved their medical school tuition and went to nursing school.