The end of subsidized loans? Take action!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ha ga itai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll start by saying I have no political affiliation. I just want to get through dental school, pay off my loans, and ensure a solid financial future for my kids that I did not have.

I received this email and wanted to share it with all current and future healthcare students because it could make a difference in your debt. Feel free to do whatever you want with this to reach as many people as possible. the emailed was addressed to dental students but the political move will affect all graduate and professional loans. (the numbers are kind of dental specific you should be able to see how it will hit you)

President Barack Obama would like to eliminate the Federal Subsidized Loans Program! Read the forwarded email below for specific information, such as how much money it will cost students.
As you may know:

The Obama Administration has proposed the elimination of the Federal Subsidized Loan Program for graduate students in the FY2012 budget. The proposal would eliminate the interest-subsidized graduate-professional student loans. Simply put you will be paying interest during your four years of dental school on all loans from the moment you take out the loan.

Specific to dentistry and YOUR loans

If you take out the full amount of subsidized loans each year ($8,500 a year) from the start of your first year you will accrue $34,000 in debt without interest. With interest on the these loans for four years it would total to be an additional $6,187 bringing your grand total debt to $40,187 upon graduation.

...Now if you took 20 years to pay off just this debt, you would accrue an additional interest on the loan interest of $5,147. Totaling 11,334 in interest alone.

Currently with a 20 year repayment plan on subsidized loans you will actually pay $62,289 but...
if subsidized loans no longer existed this would raise the cost to $73,622 (an 18.20% increase)

PLEASE take just one minute out of your busy schedule to TAKE ACTION and sign this letter letting President Obama and the members of Congress know you oppose this policy.

Click here to sign the letter and protect subsidized loans

1. Click this link and fill the form out. http://www.sagecoalition.org/content/save-our-subsidized-loans
- Your information will be inserted into the template letter and submitted.
2. Fill out the attached document and mail it.

For students who can remember back to the 2008 Presidential Election, here is what our President promised students during his campaign in 2008: http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-06-17-obama-education_N.htm

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure taking 20 years to pay off student loans is kind of stupid.