The English pre-requisite for medical schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BerkeleyPremed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to the science/math pre-requisite classes...there is also an english requirement...right? I'm just wondering what classes would fulfill this english requirement. Are they looking for reading/composition courses...or would upper division courses in english fulfill the requirement (such as a class on Chaucer)? Also, would upper division courses in comparitive literature fulfill this requirement? I would check the MSAR, the only problem is that the library on campus which has several copies of this book is now closed. In addition, I'd rather just get a consensus regarding medical schools in general than just looking at the individual requirements of XYZ med school.

Members don't see this ad.

usually the R&C courses fulfill their requirements. they want to know if you can read and write.

Originally posted by jlee9531
usually the R&C courses fulfill their requirements. they want to know if you can read and write.

The thing is...I used my AP credit to get out of R1A so I just had to take R1B. I took Near Eastern Studies R1B to satisfy the R1B requirement so would that count as one semester towards the english requirement? I suppose I could sign up for an R1A class to satisfy the other semester of the english requirement. Though, I'd rather sign up for an upper division class in english.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahh i see...

if you dont want to deal with the hassle then take an upper div english class in the english dept...so that it actually says English 1XX

i have no idea what R1A or R1B is, but upper div lit classes should fulfill the requirement too. at my undergrad, it was recommended that we take both composition and literature classes to fulfill the pre-med requirement. i ended up taking 2 qtrs of lit and 2 qtrs of writing.

i'm not sure if near eastern studies counts, or if it'd be considered a history/social science class. maybe check with your premed advisor?

Originally posted by BerkeleyPremed
The thing is...I used my AP credit to get out of R1A so I just had to take R1B. I took Near Eastern Studies R1B to satisfy the R1B requirement so would that count as one semester towards the english requirement? I suppose I could sign up for an R1A class to satisfy the other semester of the english requirement. Though, I'd rather sign up for an upper division class in english.

It depends on the medical school. A number of medical schools I applied to told me that my honors classes (emphasizing writing, but were not English) would be fine for their English requirement. Some schools required actual English classes on the transcript, and AP credit didn't count.

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by spaz
i have no idea what R1A or R1B is, but upper div lit classes should fulfill the requirement too. at my undergrad, it was recommended that we take both composition and literature classes to fulfill the pre-med requirement. i ended up taking 2 qtrs of lit and 2 qtrs of writing.

i'm not sure if near eastern studies counts, or if it'd be considered a history/social science class. maybe check with your premed advisor?

at berkeley the class he took will count as a semester toward the english requirement. :)

its a berkeley thang ;).

Originally posted by jlee9531
at berkeley the class he took will count as a semester toward the english requirement. :)

its a berkeley thang ;).

lol. Thank you my fellow Cal bear. I'm typing to you as I look outside the window of the 7th floor of Eshleman Hall (the beautiful Sather Tower is illuminating the skyline). :)

im a post-bacc, and im finishing up my science requirements now.
i just realized that i do not have any classes on my undergrad transcript with from the english dept. i do have 2 semesters of comparative literature. does anyone know if these will count? anyone in/ have been in a similar situation?
should i just call the med schools i want to apply to and ask them?

thanks for any advice...
megaluna

I would contact the med schools to which you have applied and find out. You might be OK with 2 semesters of complit, but you might not. Each school is very particular.

Good luck! :luck:

for sure Berkeley Premed I know what you are talking about

i'm at cal too and i passed out of both R1A/1B with my APs but I ended up taking English R1B anyways.

Do any of you know what a good other upper div english class is? I heard they are pretty intense and kind of want to take comp lit lower div.

alas, they make us go through so much hardship for one measly notation on our transcript!!

what's new though...

for sure Berkeley Premed I know what you are talking about

i'm at cal too and i passed out of both R1A/1B with my APs but I ended up taking English R1B anyways.

Do any of you know what a good other upper div english class is? I heard they are pretty intense and kind of want to take comp lit lower div.

alas, they make us go through so much hardship for one measly notation on our transcript!!

what's new though...

i did my r1b then eng 135ac

english 135ac is upper div english, will do your AC req as well as fine arts breadth if you need those, and is full of engineers and science majors knocking off multiple req's, so you are more likely to be above the mean in writing ability, which helps on those subjective essay grades.

not the greatest class the semester i took it (definitely better AC classes to be had), but we did read some good books, and it changes a lot every term i think. different profs and such

I just went on a search for why the OP was banned. Why this thread was bumped I'm not entirely sure, but if you want to know the reason for the banning go here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1852945#post1852945

Anyway... If you place out of the first semester of composition just take a literature class. Simple. I think that any writing intensive class counts for the requirement. (Depends on the school)

I realize this thread is old, but for any Cal students/graduates concerned about whether their Reading and Composition courses satisfy the med school's English requirements, the Berkeley website explains:

"Courses that satisfy the Reading and Composition requirement at Berkeley will fulfill medical school English coursework requirements for most medical schools." https://career.berkeley.edu/Medical/PrepPrereq.stm