deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
I was talking to my housemate who matched into Internal.

Her: (eyes widening) "You mean you guys don't have to do an internship year?"
Me: "No more sleeping in the hospital, babeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
23
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
well, remind him that he's the numbskull who chose eternal medicine :smuggrin:
 
OP
deschutes

deschutes

Thing
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2004
4,703
1
On location
Status
Attending Physician
These numbskulls are numbskulls precisely because they fail to realize that the honour of carrying a code pager rapidly gets old.

No more writing up DDx and issues and plans at 4am!
No more pre-rounding, rounding and running the list!

*weeps with joy*

I am deeply demotivated from my Step 2 and Surgery studying.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
deschutes said:
These numbskulls are numbskulls precisely because they fail to realize that the honour of carrying a code pager rapidly gets old.

No more writing up DDx and issues and plans at 4am!
No more pre-rounding, rounding and running the list!

*weeps with joy*

I am deeply demotivated from my Step 2 and Surgery studying.
Congratulations! :)
 

Mindy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2001
475
21
Visit site
Status
The single biggest difference between internal medicine and pathology?
(From a seasoned resident...)

COFFEE! (every morning without fail or rounding!)

Good luck everyone!

Mindy
 

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
deschutes said:
I was talking to my housemate who matched into Internal.

Her: (eyes widening) "You mean you guys don't have to do an internship year?"
Me: "No more sleeping in the hospital, babeeeeeeeeeeeee!!"
Yeah, word has suddenly spread like wildfire among my class that the path people don't have to do an internship. Responses have ranged from "**** you, you lucky bastards" to "Humph, all real doctors should have to do an internship." Clearly path is the hidden gem among all medical specialties!
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
Yeah, word has suddenly spread like wildfire among my class that the path people don't have to do an internship. Responses have ranged from "**** you, you lucky bastards" to "Humph, all real doctors should have to do an internship." Clearly path is the hidden gem among all medical specialties!
Man, I remember on our surgery clerkship, I would be advertising the fact that pathologists didn't have to do that damn intern year. Me and a few folks who had already committed to pathology would usually sit as a group in lecture. All of a sudden, one of us would just randomly blurt out, "No intern year." That was a sign for us to raise our hands and give each other high fives. We got strange looks from everyone else. A few people even thought about switching to pathology. Of course, they wussed out and ended up going into clinical fields :laugh:

NO INTERN YEAR! WOOHOO!
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
23
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
AndyMilonakis said:
I thought it was called infernal medicine :D

certainly an acceptable alternative, but with the incessant rounding and note writing, I prefer eternal medicine.
 

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Now we have to sit through this BS preparing-us-for-internship course.

Instructor: What do you do if your patient spikes a fever at 2 am?
Path people: Call the intern! :smuggrin:
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
Mindy said:
The single biggest difference between internal medicine and pathology?
(From a seasoned resident...)

COFFEE! (every morning without fail or rounding!)
Amen to that! I never had the time to get coffee during M3 and M4 year cuz I would get to the hospital just in the nick of time to do stupid crap like prerounding and rounding.

Now, I'm back to being addicted to the wonderful aroma, taste, and caffeination associated with coffee. Coffee is da bomb!
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
cytoborg said:
Yeah, word has suddenly spread like wildfire among my class that the path people don't have to do an internship. Responses have ranged from "**** you, you lucky bastards" to "Humph, all real doctors should have to do an internship." Clearly path is the hidden gem among all medical specialties!
Oh, how I love the "not a real doctor" game. I didn't figure that physicians got it too. Now I know! :laugh:
 

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
bananaface said:
Oh, how I love the "not a real doctor" game. I didn't figure that physicians got it too. Now I know! :laugh:
I was at a clinic today with a pediatric dentist and she told me how she thought path sounded so boring. I almost responded "well, it can't compare to picking at teeth, of course" but I held my tongue.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
geddy said:
I was at a clinic today with a pediatric dentist and she told me how she thought path sounded so boring. I almost responded "well, it can't compare to picking at teeth, of course" but I held my tongue.
You're just jealous that you can't hire a bunch of hot dental hygenists and stare at their asses all day. :rolleyes: :laugh:
 

cytoborg

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
770
2
In a fog
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
geddy said:
I was at a clinic today with a pediatric dentist and she told me how she thought path sounded so boring. I almost responded "well, it can't compare to picking at teeth, of course" but I held my tongue.
Damn! You should have said that! I hate it when people disparage other people's fields right to their faces.

I appreciated it when a classmate said the other day, "Wow, path sounds like such a facinating field....and you have to be sooooo smart!" :thumbup:
 

b&ierstiefel

Guest
10+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2004
11,787
1
In a van down by the river.
Status
Non-Student
cytoborg said:
Damn! You should have said that! I hate it when people disparage other people's fields right to their faces.

I appreciated it when a classmate said the other day, "Wow, path sounds like such a facinating field....and you have to be sooooo smart!" :thumbup:
I've heard that quite a lot actually, wheels. It seems like the intellect of pathologist is well respected...or they're just being nice to us in our face and talking sh!t about us behind our backs.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
yaah said:
I'm so first class I don't need coffee.
Does your cat have a litter box? Do you clean it yourself? If so, your cat so pwns you. And, that's so not first class.
 

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
bananaface said:
You're just jealous that you can't hire a bunch of hot dental hygenists and stare at their asses all day. :rolleyes: :laugh:
Who says I can't? :D
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
geddy said:
Who says I can't? :D
What good are they going to do you in the path lab? You'll just get fat off all that eye candy.

yaah said:
I don't have a cat.

I like dental hygenists, for the most part. :)
I thought you said the other day your cat's breath smelled like cat food. I have a very odd way of remembering everything trivial on the first read. I wish I could do that with non-trivial items. Actually, what I need is for my classes not to be back to back so that I can pretend they are seminars.
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
yaah said:
You're right, I did say that. But I was just quoting Ralph Wiggum because I think someone else had quoted Ralph Wiggum beforehand, or whatever. And my parents have a cat, so I used to.
You should get a cat. It could sit on your face.
 

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
bananaface said:
What good are they going to do you in the path lab? You'll just get fat off all that eye candy.
Pathlab?? Are you nuts? I just want to pay them to prance around on demand, so I can look at their asses!
 

stormjen

Path PGY
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2004
680
0
Status
bananaface said:
You should get a cat. It could sit on your face.
Not could, would. That's what mine do when I'm sleeping. I'm not a happy camper when I wake up and discover it!
 

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
41,962
159
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
geddy said:
Pathlab?? Are you nuts? I just want to pay them to prance around on demand, so I can look at their asses!
So, this would be like a moonlighting stripping position for them?
 

geddy

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
479
0
Status
bananaface said:
So, this would be like a moonlighting stripping position for them?
Hey, they can clean my teeth too, if that will make it better.