the eternally angry co-worker

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ismellLikflower

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working at a busy outpatient pharmacy (which pharmacy isn't, right?) as a tech. I've actually only been working there for a month, but used to work as a clerk 6 months prior. Anyway, there's another technician...in his early twenties, not much younger than me, who is eternally angry! I mean everyday, he comes in to work and it's like the end of the world for him...I'll be like "Hey, how's it going?" to which he responds "Well, another day of my life wasted...." Man, what a drag...I'm generally a happy-go-lucky person, but his demeanor really brings me down. He's aura is almost toxic, that I dread being scheduled on hours when he's working...It's also aggravated by the fact that I'm fairly new and still has a lot of questions. How do you guys deal with these kinds of people??

Members don't see this ad.

Get used to it. There will always be people with whom you do not care to work. I try to have as little encounters with these people as possible, but sometimes, you cannot avoid them; during those times, you just have to deal with them. Ignoring them has always worked for me. They say little to me, I say little to them (if they say something to me, I'll answer them, I don't give them the cold shoulder or anything, because that's would not be nice). Don't like act like you have an attitude towards them or try to visibly show that you don't care for them-- that would not solve anything. Just go about your work, and if you have to ask them something, always be polite. If they say anything negative, don't take it personally because their anger/b**chiness/frustration/etc is not a result of you directly, that's just their character; that's how they've been their whole life. Don't try to change them or anything, that never works.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters. I've had quite a few jobs before pharmacy and it seems like there's always someone with that attitude. Don't take it personally. For you, stick it out. Ask the majority of your questions to more pleasant co-workers and keep a small pocket notebook w/ notes, to help you remember procedures when scheduled with the grouch. In my experience it always works best to be polite and courteous towards this kind of person while limiting exposure to their toxic attitude. In some cases they are looking for a reason to blow up or vent frustrations.
It IS very stressful, especially when you're new to a job, to deal with someone like that. The light at the end of the tunnel is that management rarely puts up with "angry" employees for very long. Customer complaints will inevitably pile up.

Hang in there! Your positive attitude will only show through more in comparison. :)

I worked with a woman once that didn't want anyone listening to the radio. She wasn't my supervisor so I turned the radio up just loud enough so she could hear it was on in the next room. I'd either keep it on classical music or talk radio that way she couldn't complain to the boss that the music was offensive.

my mother said I had a combative attitude towards the situation, I just wanted everyone to be treated nicely.

doesn't help your situation but just because you have to work with them doesn't make you have to be their friend.