SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The ever so hated subject - financial aid

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jrunyan, Nov 6, 2000.

1. jrunyan

jrunyan Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Corunna, MI, USA
    Ok, I have another question for all of you.

HOW DO YOU PAY?

Obviously, most go the route of student loans. After Undergraduate, I am looking at having a total of 40,000 in student loans.

Now, my problem lies in this, my parents dont want to cosign for any more loans. Are you required to have a cosigner for medschool loans, or are lenders more cooperative because of the major you are pursuing?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. deziballer

deziballer Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    hmmm...my parents never cosigned for undergraduate loans, and I'm pretty sure you can get med school loans without yor parents cosigning. I mean, you are technically an adult.

4. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member 10+ Year Member

May 4, 2000
    Minneapolis, MN
    That's correct. Your parents do NOT cosign for medical school loans. Jump in!

5. Cobragirl

Cobragirl Hoohaa helper ;) 10+ Year Member

Aug 18, 2000
    In residency HELL
    I'm only $50,000 in debt after my undergraduate years....I figure another $100,000 or so won't kill me. [​IMG]

Parents are NOT needed to get the loans (not that mine would anyway!) Hell, I had to forwarn my Mom that despite the fact that I'm 30 AND married, the med-schools are probably going to want to see her tax returns! I hate that crap! I moved out when I was 16, and my parents haven't EVER given me money, let alone for school. I don't think that your parents income should be a factor once you're up to this stage (actually I don't think it should be a factor if you're over 21)! It's your life, and your debt!

6. jrunyan

jrunyan Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 28, 2000
    Corunna, MI, USA
    Thank you everyone for your responses. I am very thankful that my parents do not have to cosign...just one more thing for them to hold against me if they so choose (darn parental guilt trips)

Thanks

Jacob