BeachLuvr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
Houston, Texas
Status
I was watching the Family Feud this afternoon. The question posed was, "What are the top 4 things that children are afraid of?"

You guessed it. "The Dentist" was number one :)

How does that make you feel to think people hate your profession...for fear of the pain or fear of the pain your fees will cause to their pocketbooks? And how do you plan to react to these attittudes in practice?

Beach

AUG2UAG

alize´& pomagranate juice
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2004
constitutional
Status
it's a show for the walking dead; of course it's going to perpetuate fear (and put down those that are greater than he in the process)

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
Doesn't bother me.

AUG2UAG why do you have Paris craig's list? I went to Paris last summer and loved it. If I could have gotten a job there as a bartender or something I would have passed on dentalschool and stayed there. Well not really, but I the thought did eneter my mind.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
I doubt those results are actually true. I have a couple of kids, and there are LOTS of things they are more scared of than the dentist. I mean, the dentist may rank relatively high up on the list, but I don't see the profession being at the top.

pbure

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2004
Canada
Status
ItsGavinC said:
I doubt those results are actually true. I have a couple of kids, and there are LOTS of things they are more scared of than the dentist. I mean, the dentist may rank relatively high up on the list, but I don't see the profession being at the top.
does louie anderson still host that crap? or is it al borlin from home improvement?

OP
B

BeachLuvr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
Houston, Texas
Status
Why is it so difficult to answer questions? Regardless of The Feud...who hosts it, what day the show was created on, and whether or not you agree with the theory behind the show... the fact is that there are many people who feel this way, and it's always great :) to have some interesting answers, reassurances to such questions.

Geez louise people

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
"Its better to be feared than loved" that was either Abe Lincoln or Jesus

divertete

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2004
Status
Dentist
Family Feud... the new leader in statistical excellence. :rolleyes: Don't they ask adults these questions or something? I always heard kids were most afraid of a parent dying.

Pikeyman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
Status
My question is:
Why were you watching that show in the first place?

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
ItsGavinC said:
like seeing daddy gavin and mommy doing the wild thing makin baby three?

thats scary....

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
Pikeyman. Are you more rude than vertical bite, or does he beat you to it. It would be interesting to see a show between you two.

wammmy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2004
Cleveland
Status
Pikeyman said:
My question is:
Why were you watching that show in the first place?
I agree, what a total waste of time. :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :thumbdown:

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
I just love to watch the last five minutes of the show as they play final family feud (if that's what it was called.) It's funny to hear some silly response from them. Or it is fun to watch how excited they are for over 292 dollars or something. I don't know. It's a stupid show that's fun to watch.

Funny. I'm actually watching a show because it is so stupid.

souperman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2005
Status
airvent said:
"Its better to be feared than loved" that was either Abe Lincoln or Jesus
It wasn't Jesus or Lincoln, It was Machiavelli in The Prince.
"Is it better to be loved than feared or the reverse? The answer is that it is desirable to be both, but because it is difficult to join them together, it is much safer for a prince to be feared than loved, if he is to fail in one of the two..."

TX Hopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2004
Status
BeachLuvr said:
I was watching the Family Feud this afternoon. The question posed was, "What are the top 4 things that children are afraid of?"

You guessed it. "The Dentist" was number one :)

How does that make you feel to think people hate your profession...for fear of the pain or fear of the pain your fees will cause to their pocketbooks? And how do you plan to react to these attittudes in practice?

Beach
Just out of curiosity...what was #2,3, and 4?

drtagman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2004
brentwood, ca
Status
if you have a "prize chest or bucket" at your office the kids would change their mind in a second - they are like dogs, givem something they like and they'll love you.
btw i like kids - so everyone that doesnt have a sense of humor can save their half witted remarks to themselves.

jk5177

Just Kidding
10+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
Oregon
Status
Dentist
it's nice that the kids like me, but I rather have parents like me.

OP
B

BeachLuvr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2004
Houston, Texas
Status
TX Hopeful said:
Just out of curiosity...what was #2,3, and 4?
Hey TX,

You know...I really don't remember anymore :) Something about Spring time and Spring Break, it clears your head pretty quick...

Have a great day,

Beachluvr