The feeling after a Organic Test

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pbehzad, Oct 29, 2002.

1. pbehzad

pbehzad Faddayy
    7+ Year Member

So im taking my second organic test of the year, and instead of thinking about SN1 or SN2, im thinking man if i screw this up, and get a C overall in this class, it aint goin to look good on my record (i already have a C in another class :mad: ) I dunno, it just is so discouraging, but oh well, im not goin to whine, thats life. Does anyone else get that feeling especially during a damn organic test, like you are like why am i putting myself through hell?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Chemguync

Chemguync Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I loved taking Orgo tests.. Orgo 1 and 2 are by far my favorite classes in college.. But I'm a Chem major, so I'm prolly somewhat biased.

4. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

LOL, although I loved organic, I know how you feel. Don't worry, this feeling will subside with the many tests you will be taking. And if you think Orgo tests are horrible, wait till you do Biochem.

My suggestion to you is to find something about orgo that you love. and make that the reason for you to study. I loved how to draw little electrons and the little arrows in the reactions were so cute. And biochem got even better as I learned how the little molecules in Orgo made this one big gigantic molecule that is actually IN OUR BODIES! It was all simply awesome. Don't think of Organic as any other subject. You are learning something that comes closer and closer to real, actual medicine that you will be practising someday.

5. ah, yes, I remember Orgo well.. I got a C in the first semester and left the semester with tremendous test anxiety, then ended up liking 2nd semester (some biochem was taught in that class) and getting a B. I would say that Anatomy practicals and today's scary Pharm exam brought back some of the old anxiety from O Chem, yet I have to say that I have enjoyed both classes very much and passed Anatomy (hopefully will pass Pharm too!) and think Pharm is the most clinically important science class I've taken thus far. I find Organic and Biochem to be moderately, but not extremely, useful in Pharmacology.. good luck in any case. BTW, I had <30 MCAT, not a single A in any chem or biochem class, didn't go to an Ivy League school for undergrad, and I had 2 acceptances and am now a second year med student, so you should be fine!:)

6. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

wow Katie. I had no idea....you give me so much hope!! God bless you. You have no idea how much I needed to hear this, since I have ZERO interviews as of yet. And it's already Nov. :(

7. Harps

Harps Jatt Denominator
    7+ Year Member

CAN Please empty your message box? I am trying to send you a PM.

Thank ou

8. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

Yes yes yes, organic chemistry. I am taking organic chemistry I right now and I have test 3 on Thursday. I can tell you that organic chemistry is different from all the other classes I took in the past. I am I never studied like this before (I am studying almost 36hr> for this organic test). I am just looking for a B or better in this class. Well let me go hit the books. Good luck whoever taking organic chemistry right now

9. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

Oh yeah and pbehzad, my test on thursday is also going to be on SN1 vs SN2, E1 vs E2 reaction. great:rolleyes:

10. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just had an organic test a little over a week ago that covered SN1, SN2, E1, and E2. I LOVE learning about that stuff, but I do understand how you could feel overwhelmed by it. There are just so many different reaction types to remember...

11. Chemguync

Chemguync Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There are basically four reactions in all of organic chem. They just wear different dresses depending on the dance they're going to.

12. Dr Sum Day

Dr Sum Day SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Where did you get accepted?

13. Random Access

Random Access 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm guessing Tufts is one of them, since that's in her sig. ;)

14. exigente chica

7+ Year Member

I have orgo test #2 next Monday! I have been studying my arse off and will continue too..I really need a good grade in this class to pull up that yucky one in physics.

Gone to study..:cool:

15. Raptor

Raptor Found one
    7+ Year Member

I took a organic chemistry this past thursday and haven't gotten my results back. I am feeling pretty worried. :(

16. CD

CD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Our first orgo test was scheduled for 1 hour and not a one of us left before 3 hours!!! (no one had classes after orgo and the prof didn't kick us out) OUCH! The second one wasn't much better at 2 hours .....and the final? It took all of 3.5 hours to finish. We were so wiped out after orgo tests that I was even worried about driving home safely! That said, however, I REALLY enjoyed organic chem. It just makes sooooooo much sense once you learn the "why's" of reactions. I understand what you are saying though, because currently I'm taking advanced organic and it is quite a different experience than my undergrad organic. On our last test the highest score was 86%! I think the prof. makes all the difference.

17. MedicinePunkin

7+ Year Member

Chemguync do you go to school at UNCC? Tha'ts wher I am at for right now.

18. heelshmeel

heelshmeel Tar Heel Bred
    7+ Year Member

you guys are right,

orgo is tough stuff... but the way i did well (A and A+!) was to not think about your other classes or other grades or how a C in this will look bad here or there...

whatever, with orgo throw it all out the window. Bcos if you think about all of that, you'll really go down on an exam and then you'll start worrying about that...

it's an endless chain, the point is, take it 1 step at a time!

19. Karina

Karina Surgeon in training...
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey!
    I know, I have my Org Chem test #2 on tuesday...and I am really stressed about it. My face just broke out in pimples a few weeks ago...and they are not going away...too much to handle. I just transfered to a new school, and I'm working, and my boyfriend move, and my face just broke out in pimples...guess I already mentioned that...

Yeah...I feel your pain...I haven't been studying as much as I should have...but I have another test tomorrow, so I take it as it comes...whatever...

Good luck!
    Peace!

20. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have found that it's all about studying in advance. If you put effort into o-chem, it should pay off.

21. armanda1

armanda1 New Member

I know exactly whatyou mean..I just took my orgo exam #2 last night and I definitely know I didn't do well at all....I am also taking it with Physics--stuggling and along with family issues, I am struggling at all ends..I am just trying to get through this semester but I feel that my chances are blown now for any school acceptances