The field of Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnt107

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do psychiatrists get pidgeonholed into being the mindless "pill-pushers" or is there realistic possibilites for them to practice psychotherapy with clients? Anyone who is more knowledgeable on this subject, I welcome replies (that includes just about anyone)

I am interested in this field and wondering what people think or know. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A GOOD Psychiatrsit is not a pill pusher, the best therapy is combination therapy, which is a mixture of medications and "talk" therapy.

With all due respect PaddingtonBear, I'm not asking what a good psychiatrist is...even though I agree with you...I'm looking for information regarding the reality of the field of psychiatry today.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psychiatry today is pretty steady. Psychologists moving into the field have always been in the rear-view mirror, but the same holds for nurse practitioners to GPs and CRNA's to anesthetists.

If you are in for money, then will likely have to forensic psyche and go around testifying in courtrooms. But an average psychiatrist's salary is fine for many and gives a comfortable life.

There is a continuity of patients, not all can be helped significantly, but some can. Good internships pretty straightforward to get. On call is reasonable. Autonomy is pretty good. Shortages in many places, esp. non-metropolitan.

Best wishes, roo

Howdy,

I am in my psych rotation now. Encore is correct. Managed care does not pay for hour long sessions with the psychiatrist, but with a psychologist or master's level counselor. The psychiatrist I am with though, visits with the patient much longer than just a "med check". He wants to know how they are doing, if there is anything new in their life, how they are coping, etc etc. Though I have heard of docs that literally spend about 5 minutes on med checks and that is it.

Billie

Originally posted by roo:
•Psychiatry today is pretty steady. Psychologists moving into the field have always been in the rear-view mirror, but the same holds for nurse practitioners to GPs and CRNA's to anesthetists.

If you are in for money, then will likely have to forensic psyche and go around testifying in courtrooms. But an average psychiatrist's salary is fine for many and gives a comfortable life.

There is a continuity of patients, not all can be helped significantly, but some can. Good internships pretty straightforward to get. On call is reasonable. Autonomy is pretty good. Shortages in many places, esp. non-metropolitan.

Best wishes, roo•

Psychologists are not in the rear view mirror. They have their own autonomy. They also make a very good living. Where I live these psychs live in the richer areas.

Why do Psychiatrists get a bad rap from other doctors? I mean, I'm only in medical school, but students already say that Psychiatry isn't good because anyone who barely gets through medical school can practice in it. I mean, I agree it's not as challenging as getting a DERM or Opthalmology residency, but why the stigma associated with it? It carries the same "negativity" as doing family medicine or pediatrics. It's viewed as the field for people who are average. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Kimberli Cox:
•SDN Police...I will remand this subject to my custody and book it in over at Rotations and Residencies Forum.•

SDN POLICE?!??!! Did I get a ticket or something?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was just asking a question!!!

I'll let you off with a warning this time son!

Nothing personal to Azygous or the original poster, but this topic simply is better placed in this forum rather than the Everybody forum. :)