1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

The field of Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by dnt107, May 18, 2001.

1. dnt107

dnt107 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do psychiatrists get pidgeonholed into being the mindless "pill-pushers" or is there realistic possibilites for them to practice psychotherapy with clients? Anyone who is more knowledgeable on this subject, I welcome replies (that includes just about anyone)

I am interested in this field and wondering what people think or know. thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PaddingtonBear

10+ Year Member

A GOOD Psychiatrsit is not a pill pusher, the best therapy is combination therapy, which is a mixture of medications and "talk" therapy.

4. dnt107

dnt107 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

With all due respect PaddingtonBear, I'm not asking what a good psychiatrist is...even though I agree with you...I'm looking for information regarding the reality of the field of psychiatry today.

Thanks.

5. roo

roo Voice From The Wilderness
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Psychiatry today is pretty steady. Psychologists moving into the field have always been in the rear-view mirror, but the same holds for nurse practitioners to GPs and CRNA's to anesthetists.

If you are in for money, then will likely have to forensic psyche and go around testifying in courtrooms. But an average psychiatrist's salary is fine for many and gives a comfortable life.

There is a continuity of patients, not all can be helped significantly, but some can. Good internships pretty straightforward to get. On call is reasonable. Autonomy is pretty good. Shortages in many places, esp. non-metropolitan.

Best wishes, roo

6. Billie

Billie An Oldie but a Goodie...
    10+ Year Member

Howdy,

I am in my psych rotation now. Encore is correct. Managed care does not pay for hour long sessions with the psychiatrist, but with a psychologist or master's level counselor. The psychiatrist I am with though, visits with the patient much longer than just a "med check". He wants to know how they are doing, if there is anything new in their life, how they are coping, etc etc. Though I have heard of docs that literally spend about 5 minutes on med checks and that is it.

Billie

7. Psychologists are not in the rear view mirror. They have their own autonomy. They also make a very good living. Where I live these psychs live in the richer areas.

8. Azygous

Azygous Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Why do Psychiatrists get a bad rap from other doctors? I mean, I'm only in medical school, but students already say that Psychiatry isn't good because anyone who barely gets through medical school can practice in it. I mean, I agree it's not as challenging as getting a DERM or Opthalmology residency, but why the stigma associated with it? It carries the same "negativity" as doing family medicine or pediatrics. It's viewed as the field for people who are average. Any ideas?

9. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    SDN Police...I will remand this subject to my custody and book it in over at Rotations and Residencies Forum.

10. Azygous

Azygous Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN POLICE?!??!! Did I get a ticket or something?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I was just asking a question!!!

11. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'll let you off with a warning this time son!

Nothing personal to Azygous or the original poster, but this topic simply is better placed in this forum rather than the Everybody forum. :)