The FINAL word on the BEST FM Board Exam Review Book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leukocyte

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear FM SDNs,

So what do you consider the BEST FM exam review book. I have done some research and came up with the four top finalists (in no particular order):

- McGraw-Hill's Family Practice Examination & Board Review, Second Edition
- Bratton's Family Medicine Board Review
- Swanson's Family Medicine Review
- First Aid for the Family Medicine Boards

So which one of the above do you reccommend? Would you reccommend any other book or resource that you liked and worked for you?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so glad someone posted this, because I had the same question! Also, did anyone use any kind of online program?

I used McGraw-Hill, by Graeber and Wilbur. I liked it, although I don't know if it's "better" or "worse" than any other book. FA for Family Med was kind of meh.

I used the free questions available on the AAFP website, as well as the ABFM board review app (available for free on either iPhone/iPad or Android).

Members don't see this ad :)
My residency director recommended the swanson's fm question book. I used first aid and swanson's.

I used only the questions from the past 3 yrs in-training exams. Perfect preparation, and free.

Great post, thanks for that! Exactly what I was looking for.

Based on reviews - McGraw-Hill's is my top choice.
Based on popularity - Swanson's is what a lot of people use.

If I can, I'd get both but if I were to choose just one - McGraw-Hill's.

FYI: new editions are coming out for both books if you don't mind waiting.

1. McGraw-Hill's Family Practice Examination & Board Review, 3rd Ed
Release date: Dec 7, 2012

2. Swanson's Family Medicine Review: Expert consult, 7th Ed
Release date: Sept 19, 2012

From what I read, Bratton's is sub-par compared to those 2 books. If you need something to read/supplement, First Aid is probably a safe bet.

Top online question banks (based on researching):

1. AAFP (free)
2. ABFM ( http://www.exammaster.com/medical-certification/family-medicine )

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend the AAFP and ABFM online questions,
but iam looking to get my hands on the family practice residency ITE questions. ???

I used only the questions from the past 3 yrs in-training exams. Perfect preparation, and free.
how do i get access to the in-training questions? links please? thanks in advance..

Great post, thanks for that! Exactly what I was looking for.

Based on reviews - McGraw-Hill's is my top choice.
Based on popularity - Swanson's is what a lot of people use.

If I can, I'd get both but if I were to choose just one - McGraw-Hill's.

FYI: new editions are coming out for both books if you don't mind waiting.

1. McGraw-Hill's Family Practice Examination & Board Review, 3rd Ed
Release date: Dec 7, 2012

2. Swanson's Family Medicine Review: Expert consult, 7th Ed
Release date: Sept 19, 2012

From what I read, Bratton's is sub-par compared to those 2 books. If you need something to read/supplement, First Aid is probably a safe bet.

Top online question banks (based on researching):

1. AAFP (free)
2. ABFM ( http://www.exammaster.com/medical-certification/family-medicine )
Hi,

can u provide link to the latest editions of both these books?

also any good Board review course?

Has anyone heard of these 2 courses???? any suggestion for the 2?

a) http://www.fmboards.com

b) http://www.thepassmachine.com/

Did/has anyone do/tried online Challenger course ? results ? opinions ?

We have Challenger at our residency program, used longitudinally and rotation-specific. Apparently there's "evidence-based" proof that it leads to increased scores/pass rates? The big problem is that the database is so broad - after 2 years, we are still trying to right-size the questions as well as figure out ways to make them more useful for the rotations and for the boards. The fact that it is taking so long for a program to figure out the best way to utilize this resource is not very promising. I know of at least one residency that dropped challenger from their curriculum totally. I plan to use AAFP, ABFM/ITE questions as well as Swanson's.

I used Swanson's and thought it was pretty good (it was provided by our residency intern year). Also bought First Aid and referenced it during intern and less often in 2nd year. The AAFP question bank was my top resource in 2nd/3rd year.

So would you say Swanson's overall much better than First Aid?
I'm an intern starting now july 1st so just wanted to know what you thought overall of these books. Contemplating on which to purchase eventually!!!