The first client

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychanon

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm a second-year student at a clinical psych PhD program. I have an appointment scheduled for next week for my first therapy client. :scared:

I've done assessment practica and a testing case, and I've done a fair amount of assessment interviewing through my lab. I also had a pretty good amount of clinical experience coming into grad school. But I have a feeling that none of it really compares to sitting down with a paying client in therapy.

I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. Do any veterans out there have any advice? Does anyone have any interesting first client anecdotes? Is there anyone else out there about to start seeing clients who wants to commiserate?

Members don't see this ad.

psychanon said:
Does anyone have any interesting first client anecdotes? Is there anyone else out there about to start seeing clients who wants to commiserate?
This is a serious reply .....

Do you or others plan on divulging to your first client that they are indeed a first client? Would First Client be an interesting discussion from an ethics point of view?

psychanon said:
Hi everyone,
I'm a second-year student at a clinical psych PhD program. I have an appointment scheduled for next week for my first therapy client. :scared:

I've done assessment practica and a testing case, and I've done a fair amount of assessment interviewing through my lab. I also had a pretty good amount of clinical experience coming into grad school. But I have a feeling that none of it really compares to sitting down with a paying client in therapy.

I'm feeling pretty anxious about it. Do any veterans out there have any advice? Does anyone have any interesting first client anecdotes? Is there anyone else out there about to start seeing clients who wants to commiserate?

Are you getting supervision? Develop a rough idea of what you'd like to go over during the first session. It's mostly "getting to know you" kinds of things: "What motivated you to come to therapy?" "What are your goals for therapy?" "How have things been for you this week?" and other open-ended questions will help you get started. As a clinical psychology student, you're probably quite inquisitive, so use your curiosity as a guide. Try to understand what your client is going through and why they came to therapy. Use the first few sessions to build rapport and develop a relationship with your client. Don't analyze! Your goal should be to get them to trust you so that you could delve into more substantive issues in subsequent sessions. Pretend you're meeting someone for the first time and you want to get to know them a little better. Fifty minutes will fly by once you get talking. Relax and enjoy the process.

By the way, I'm a second-year medical student interested in psychiatry (psychopharmacology and psychodynamic psychiatry).

Members don't see this ad :)
Primum est non said:
This is a serious reply .....

Do you or others plan on divulging to your first client that they are indeed a first client? Would First Client be an interesting discussion from an ethics point of view?

An interesting question. My answer is no (based on the recommendation of my supervisor). I certainly won't volunteer the information. If he asks me (and I really, really hope he doesn't), I'll say I have experience working with people with a broad range of clinical difficulties. Which is true-- i just haven't been a therapist before. Also, I've had assessment clients, so to say he's not my first client wouldn't be a lie per say. I don't want to be dishonest, of course, but if he thought he was my very first client, he might expect me to be incapable of helping him, which would be damaging to the therapy process.

Does anyone else have opinions on this?

publichealth's opinion is perfect. Just relax and be genuine, that is much more important than it gets credit for. ;)

Be aware that the client is likely as nervous as you are. Like above, be open but not overly enthusiastic...
we've all been there :)

psychanon said:
......but if he thought he was my very first client, he might expect me to be incapable of helping him, which would be damaging to the therapy process......

This is not only thoughtful answer but it also reflects good judgement and good character. No bs. This is the answer prompting the hopeful question. er .. was that the other way around?

. :D