The first cut

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CHLApremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When ADCOMs are making a decision of whether or not to request secondaries (with the exception of schools that automatically request them) do they look at MCAT + GPA or MCAT + GPA + Personal statement? :confused:

--Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

When ADCOMs are making a decision of whether or not to request secondaries (with the exception of schools that automatically request them) do they look at MCAT + GPA or MCAT + GPA + Personal statement? :confused:

--Thank you.

In my experience, most schools who do this have some sort of mcat and/or gpa cutoff. I've never heard of personal statements being used, but who knows lol.

I think PS are actually pretty important. I had several interviewers tell me they were really impressed with it, and I think, considering my stats, that is why I ended up getting as many ii as I did.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think PS are actually pretty important. I had several interviewers tell me they were really impressed with it, and I think, considering my stats, that is why I ended up getting as many ii as I did.

Yeah, I agree that they are definitely important. I was just responding to the OP's concern of secondary requests that some schools screen for.

I've had multiple ADCOM members tell me that GPA + MCAT get you in the door, aka secondary, and then other factors (PS, ECs, LoR) are what get you an interview, and then the interview gets you the admission.

It depends on the school. Some schools don't screen, other screen just the GPA/MCAT by computer, and others actually have a human go over the entire application. Only a few schools actually have human contact with your application before sending the secondary though. They usually save that for after you empty the contents of your wallet. :p The only two that I can think of off the top of my head are UCSD and UCSF.

Residency can also be considered for state schools.

I've had multiple ADCOM members tell me that GPA + MCAT get you in the door, aka secondary, and then other factors (PS, ECs, LoR) are what get you an interview, and then the interview gets you the admission.

That would imply that GPA and MCAT are meaningless once you get a secondary, which is almost certainly not the case, especially considering the fact that most schools send secondaries to all applicants. As for the interview, LizzyM compares it to being on a staircase. The people with the best applications are at the top, and those who barely got the interview invite are at the bottom. Your performance in the interview can move you up a few steps or down a few steps. After the interviews, those near the top get accepted first, and those still near the bottom start getting rejected. Your stats and application are still extremely important, even after you get an interview.

That would imply that GPA and MCAT are meaningless once you get a secondary, which is almost certainly not the case, especially considering the fact that most schools send secondaries to all applicants. As for the interview, LizzyM compares it to being on a staircase. The people with the best applications are at the top, and those who barely got the interview invite are at the bottom. Your performance in the interview can move you up a few steps or down a few steps. After the interviews, those near the top get accepted first, and those still near the bottom start getting rejected. Your stats and application are still extremely important, even after you get an interview.

But Osteoth was told that by actual ADCOM members. Are you saying those ADCOMs are wrong and you know better?

But Osteoth was told that by actual ADCOM members. Are you saying those ADCOMs are wrong and you know better?

FYI: LizzyM is an adcom and seeing as there are over 150 allopathic medical schools in the country, I'm sure those few that spoke to Osteopath don't represent every single admissions commitee.

Poster was just repeating what LizzyM, an actual ADCOM has said. Don't think they're trying to imply that they know better. Besides, ADCOMS all behave differently. Maybe some use GPA+MCAT cutoff and maybe other take a more holistic look.

First of all, he's making an argument from authority using a source that can't be verified and hasn't even been named. Second, I find it hard to believe that an ADCOM member would actually say what he claims, because at most schools that policy would be almost ridiculous. Third, there are many ADCOMs that all have different priorities, policies, and procedures, which makes such generalizations entirely useless.

Fourth, the name "Osteoth" doesn't inspire much confidence in a discussion on allopathic admissions.

His first proposition (about secondaries) is demonstrably false, and his comment on interviews is contradicted by a more reputable and verifiable source.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of all, he's making an argument from authority using a source that can't be verified and hasn't even been named. Second, I find it hard to believe that an ADCOM member would actually say what he claims, because at most schools that policy would be almost ridiculous. Third, there are many ADCOMs that all have different priorities, policies, and procedures, which makes such generalizations entirely useless.

Fourth, the name "Osteoth" doesn't inspire much confidence in a discussion on allopathic admissions.

His first proposition (about secondaries) is demonstrably false, and his comment on interviews is contradicted by a more reputable and verifiable source.

Screening someones advice based on an internet username... priceless.

Screening advice based on a perceived school attended... even better.

How about... I wouldn't listen to someone's advice that didn't know "osteo" can also refer to "bone" not only degree type.

Screening someones advice based on an internet username... priceless.

Screening advice based on a perceived school attended... even better.

How about... I wouldn't listen to someone's advice that didn't know "osteo" can also refer to "bone" not only degree type.

How about you evaluate claims based on their merit, rather than on the perceived qualifications of the person making them? I did not "screen" his advice based on his username. I merely remarked that the claims he was making were ridiculous and unfounded, and that if he wants to make such claims, he would do well to provide at least some evidence to back them up.

You seem to have ignored all of the important parts of my post and replied that, because I made an offhand comment about the fact that his username implies an interest in DO (a comment that has also been made by two other people), my entire post said nothing of value. If you would take the time to read my post, you might notice that there are several important points at the beginning, followed by a brief comment on his username, and then a convenient summary that includes not a single mention of his username. I am entirely open to criticism, but please keep your criticism relevant. I could care less about his username, and I am well aware of the alternative uses of that particular root.

How about you evaluate claims based on their merit, rather than on the perceived qualifications of the person making them? I did not "screen" his advice based on his username. I merely remarked that the claims he was making were ridiculous and unfounded, and that if he wants to make such claims, he would do well to provide at least some evidence to back them up.

You seem to have ignored all of the important parts of my post and replied that, because I made an offhand comment about the fact that his username implies an interest in DO (a comment that has also been made by two other people), my entire post said nothing of value. If you would take the time to read my post, you might notice that there are several important points at the beginning, followed by a brief comment on his username, and then a convenient summary that includes not a single mention of his username. I am entirely open to criticism, but please keep your criticism relevant. I could care less about his username, and I am well aware of the alternative uses of that particular root.

That's because I didn't value any other portions as important.

I think it's common sense that GPA and MCAT still play a huge factor in getting an interview and eventual acceptance. I don't think anyone was insinuating otherwise but simply stating other factors start weighing in as the process moves forward. You might want to tone down the attitude when giving advice to others.

The staircase analogy from LizzyM is a good way to look at things.

That's because I didn't value any other portions as important.

I think it's common sense that GPA and MCAT still play a huge factor in getting an interview and eventual acceptance. I don't think anyone was insinuating otherwise but simply stating other factors start weighing in as the process moves forward. You might want to tone down the attitude when giving advice to others.

The staircase analogy from LizzyM is a good way to look at things.

Have you even read my original post? Someone made a claim with which I disagreed. I explained why I disagreed, and then gave my own opinion. When challenged, I expanded upon my earlier comments.

Now, you seem to be in one sentence insulting me for not posting anything of value, before spending the rest of your post stating how you agree with what I said originally. Either you have misunderstood the discussion I was having, or you ignored it and simply jumped in and began insulting me.

Well this escalated quickly.

well this escalated quickly.

duty_calls.png

MCAT+GPA gets you the interview, the PS plays a larger role after that (I think).

MCAT+GPA gets you the interview, the PS plays a larger role after that (I think).

Numbers aways play the largest role at every stage. It's like the staircase model that guy explained earlier. Everything besides GPA/MCAT are what help you get the interview. After the interview everything is in consideration with GPA and MCAT still being the most important. These schools are trying to have the highest GPA and MCAT average they can to boost their rankings. If you have high stats, unless you are a completely arrogant a-hole or super weird and antisocial, then you are pretty much set. Nobody's good interview or PS will beat you out.

Numbers aways play the largest role at every stage. It's like the staircase model that guy explained earlier. Everything besides GPA/MCAT are what help you get the interview. After the interview everything is in consideration with GPA and MCAT still being the most important. These schools are trying to have the highest GPA and MCAT average they can to boost their rankings. If you have high stats, unless you are a completely arrogant a-hole or super weird and antisocial, then you are pretty much set. Nobody's good interview or PS will beat you out.

I agree, to a certain extent. An exceptional GPA and MCAT is definitely the biggest thing, but even if you have absurdly high stats, you still need to have at least reasonable ECs, written materials, etc, especially at the highly competitive schools. I also think it's worth clarifying that if you genuinely bomb the interview, you're probably getting rejected regardless of your stats. Even someone with a 4.0/45 would probably be rejected if they turned up at the interview wearing flip flops and a tank top and then spent the entire interview staring silently at the ceiling.

I agree, to a certain extent. An exceptional GPA and MCAT is definitely the biggest thing, but even if you have absurdly high stats, you still need to have at least reasonable ECs, written materials, etc, especially at the highly competitive schools. I also think it's worth clarifying that if you genuinely bomb the interview, you're probably getting rejected regardless of your stats. Even someone with a 4.0/45 would probably be rejected if they turned up at the interview wearing flip flops and a tank top and then spent the entire interview staring silently at the ceiling.

May be wrong, but if you're wearing flip flops and a tank top you're probably an arrogant a-hole like he said..

Fair point, I was just taking an extreme example. I'm just trying to say that, while stats are (arguably) the most important, they won't make up for gaping holes elsewhere.

some schools (like UCSF) include LORs, PS and gpa/mcat scores in a calculation for whether to send secondaries.

Some just use the gpa/mcat scores themselves.

Some have more complicated formulas than others. (eg. U Wash has a formula on their website, where junior year is weighted more heavily than previous years)

Some have cutoffs (UCSD MSTP MCAT cutoff is 34, or so I heard from somewhere, although this may be a rumor)

Thanks. It's sad to learn schools are trying to boost rankings, but I guess I could understand the economic perspective of theirs.

What can I put in my personal statement without worrying about its confidentiality being violated? Does anyone else other than ADCOMs read the PS? I'm talking about a very pertinent personal medical incident/history, i.e. if that's the reason I want to be a doctor, how can I write that in my personal statement with the limited space there is for words.
--Thank you.

I had several interviewers tell me they were really impressed with it
2a6.jpg

What can I put in my personal statement without worrying about its confidentiality being violated? Does anyone else other than ADCOMs read the PS? I'm talking about a very pertinent personal medical incident/history, i.e. if that's the reason I want to be a doctor, how can I write that in my personal statement with the limited space there is for words.
--Thank you.
Your PS is open to everyone with a legitimate educational reason to review it. This may include screeners, interviewers, committee members, scholarship committee and staff.

Also, if one had to put off applying to medical school right after graduation in order to enter the workforce to help out family financially, will that look bad to ADCOMs?

--Thank you.

If it is about you, then put all the detail you want into it. Try to keep it light though since there is only so much space in the PS

If it is about someone else, remember to not have a hipaa violation. Cut the details to a minimum and say things like gentleman, immigrant, elderly patient. Just make sure nobody can identify that person.

MCAT and GPA. The point is to have an easy way to shorten the stack of applications. Reading through all the personal statements would defeat the purpose.

Most places have multiple "cut-off tiers" though where how seriously they consider your application will vary depending on where you stand.

MCAT and GPA. The point is to have an easy way to shorten the stack of applications. Reading through all the personal statements would defeat the purpose.

Most places have multiple "cut-off tiers" though where how seriously they consider your application will vary depending on where you stand.

Thanks so much for your input. What advice do you have for preparing for verbal? Aside from doing a lot of practice tests, are you a speed reader?