The first of June!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by water, Jun 1, 2000.

1. water

water Junior Member

Hi there,

The day has come. The first of June is here. I'm just wondering if anyone has sent in the AMCAS yet. I was told to send it in ASAP but also told to wait til July. What do you think?
    Thanks for any reply.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 1918

1918 Member

If you've completed your AMCAS app and it is ready to be submitted, why wait?

Time is of the essence. The sooner your file is complete, the sooner you get your secondaries, the sooner you get your interviews, etc.

4. Lt. Ub

Lt. Ub Senior Member

SEND IT IN!!!

I sent mine in on July 1 and my secondaries were about 2 months behind those who turned it in ASAP. Early interviews = early acceptances...

------------------
    "They do certainly give very strange and newfangled names to diseases."
    - Plato

5. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I sent mine off yesterday via FedEx and it was delivered this morning. I don't know if waiting until July will hurt you, but I know several people who waited until September during last year's application cycle and they didn't get any interviews before the new year and are now sitting on waitlists. I don't know how much an early application helps but it sure can't hurt (unless you rush it and don't do a good job). [​IMG]

6. nerak74

nerak74 Junior Member

I am waiting for my MCAT scores before I can send in my AMCAS application. If my MCAT scores are ok, then I will send the applcn in right after I receive the scores. WHEN ARE MY SCORES COMING???? This wait is such a torture. Btw, what do you think is an ok MCAT score? My GPA is currently 3.8

7. rufus

rufus Member

nerak74,

I'd suggest forgetting about waiting for your MCAT scores and send in your app now if it's ready to go! I know those extra few weeks don't seem like much, but when it comes to med school admissions, timing seems to be about as important as everything else [​IMG]. Your GPA is very competitive; I'd run with that and the rest of my app to the post office today.

rufus

8. Dave

Dave Member

I agree, send it in. I didn't get my MCAT scores for 10 weeks last april even though they say 6-8 wks. You have a great GPA, you should have your score before secondaries come which should help you decide how many to send in.

9. Call me paraniod....but I've always sent my apps. via certified mail. I feel that by doing so I'm showing "who ever" just how important that app. is to me.

Early submitions = early interviews [​IMG]

------------------
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    --M. Ghandi

10. water

water Junior Member

Thank you so much for all the replies. I have another concern. I have had some clinical experience but I still want to have more stuff to put on my application so I started shadowing doctors 2 weeks ago after the spring semester was out. I have shadowed a plastic surgeon and a pediatrician, one week each. Next week I will start with an ER doctor. What I am doing is sorta rotation to get a feel for each speacialty. I'll be doing this for the rest of the summer. Should I wait a little bit more to have my hours added up or just be satisfied with what I've got right now? Thanks again.

11. water

water Junior Member

what I meant was: should I wait to send my AMCAS application after I have some more hours or go ahead and send it in right now with what I've got? Thanks [​IMG]

12. 1918

1918 Member

The benefit of adding a few more hours to your volunteer experience is outweighed by submitting your app in as early as possible.

You can make it clear on your AMCAS that you are currently engaged in these activities, and when it comes to your secondaries and interviews, you will then be able to update what your AMCAS indicated.

Bottom line: time is of the essence.

Good luck! [​IMG]

13. water

water Junior Member

Thanks a bunch 1918 [​IMG]