1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

The first REU thread EVER...?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Jacobian78, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Jacobian78

2+ Year Member

Since Pre-Allo was able to give birth to a 10+ page thread on SMDEP programs, seems there might as well be a thread about applying for the NIH-REU programs this summer. Anyone out there applying? Anyone want to give a little heart-to-heart story share about their experience doing REU a previous summer? Yes....Yeeeesss...do it. In the spirit of the Holidays :D

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RSAgator

RSAgator Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I had an REU experience that was somewhat different to the typical program so my advice will be of limited use. It was a chemical engineering REU that took place over a fall semester in Japan (funding was cut so now it is no longer offered). Aside from the experience in Japan, it's really a great opportunity to get some significant research experience. You get paid, get to visit a different school, meet a bunch of new people, and depending on how much work you put in/timing you have the potential to get a paper published from it. At the very least you'll have a presentation at a symposium, maybe even a poster presentation.

If you're even considering doing it I would highly suggest it. Unlike many of the "resume boosters" pre-meds do, this is one that is highly beneficial to you as a person and an applicant, and it's something you get paid for as well. Also I don't think that they are all incredibly competitive either.

4. Jacobian78

2+ Year Member

Yeah, I saw that there were a couple that were offered at international venues. Japan definitely sounds like it would be awesome. It's odd because not that many people seem to A) know about them, or B) be interested in doing them. Were you able to keep contact with your PI after it was over?

Anyone else? Summer research is getting no love.

5. Tuckermans

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey,
    I did an REU at the University of Idaho this last summer. It was a really awesome experience, and I highly recommend it. Incidentally enough, it has come up at all of my medical school interviews. They can be kind of hard to get as a lot of people apply for the jobs, but if you get one then they can be a great learning experience. Obviously a lot depends on your PI but from what I understand they go out of there way to pick PIs who are easy to work with. It is also a easy way to make some money. I worked like 5 hours a day and made 3200 plus room and board over 2 months. If you get the chance absoulty go for it. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions about either the REU at the University of Idaho or anything else. Good luck!