The first thing they will see is 4 Ws on my transcripts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the spring semester of my junior year in high school, I was planning on doing the dual-enrollment program at my local community college. However, due to financial/transportation reasons, I could not attend that spring semester. I called my academic counselor about canceling my classes and he said "Don't worry about, just take the courses in the summer." I had no idea about the Withdrawal policy they have in college, so my college transcript has 4 Ws on it! But I retook those exact classes and got As in them.

My question is, will adcomms care about those Ws? My overall GPA from college was 3.996, so it's not like my transcripts look sketchy or something. Do I need to explain those Ws in my personal statement or is it not necessary since I ended up acing those classes in the end?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Because you did not have a 4.0 you will need to explain in detail how you managed to recieve 4 W's. I would spend about 700 characters on this and really make sure you cover every detail.

Because you did not have a 4.0 you will need to explain in detail how you managed to recieve 4 W's. I would spend about 700 characters on this and really make sure you cover every detail.

+1 This is a serious blemish on an already sub-par app :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
In the spring semester of my junior year in high school, I was planning on doing the dual-enrollment program at my local community college. However, due to financial/transportation reasons, I could not attend that spring semester. I called my academic counselor about canceling my classes and he said "Don't worry about, just take the courses in the summer." I had no idea about the Withdrawal policy they have in college, so my college transcript has 4 Ws on it! But I retook those exact classes and got As in them.

My question is, will adcomms care about those Ws? My overall GPA from college was 3.996, so it's not like my transcripts look sketchy or something. Do I need to explain those Ws in my personal statement or is it not necessary since I ended up acing those classes in the end?

Thanks!

This is a legit answer. You should be fine but be prepared to explain during interviews. Also, if any schools have a prompt allowing you to explain extra info. Write a SHORT paragraph detailing pretty much what you did for us. This won't really hurt you at all.

No one will care, don't waste time explaining it in a paragraph of any length. Move on.

Yeah, you should explain it in your personal statement. Just write pretty much exactly what you wrote here, there were transportation problems, you didn't know they'd show up as W's, you even took them later and got A's in all of them, etc.

I don't think its going to hurt you at all, and I don't think it is a serious blemish given that you have a good explanation for it and you have a 4.0; its not like you dropped the courses due to academic struggles, etc...

Thanks!

Good Lord, no, don't waste space in your PS to explain that. Maybe -- MAYBE -- in some sort of secondary comments field on the AMCAS (I didn't use AMCAS, so I don't know). An even somewhat reasonable explanation will make that pretty close to a non-issue, or so I would think.

You will need two essays;

1. One explaining ur motivations for medicine etc etc..
2. In addition to the Ws, you need to explain what da hell happened to the 0.004 chunk of ur gpa? You need to clearly explain ur sub-perfect gpa otherwise they'll question ur academic potential..:scared::scared::scared: Besides 4 Ws seem like u were shopping for easy courses..:eek::eek::eek:

But seriously, u have no worries here...

Thanks!

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it at all-- you may have to address this at interviews and your reason seems perfectly reasonable. I have an entire semester worths of W's on my transcript and I got plenty of interviews immediately after applying.

thats pretty interesting, was it before you lauched your whole college career/ at the beginning, or closer to the end?

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it at all-- you may have to address this at interviews and your reason seems perfectly reasonable. I have an entire semester worths of W's on my transcript and I got plenty of interviews immediately after applying.

I wish I had this person's problems.