Quantcast

The future of dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlbinoPolarBear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, as soon as we evolve into a half-man, half-shark species, dentists will be working at Starbucks.

Tooth Extractor

Reaction score
No, but will regenerating teeth replace dental implants etc, and possibly dentistry in the future?

I keep reading about successful regrowing of teeth in laboratories around the world.

ekephant

Reaction score
I would say no. Dentistry is more than just implants...

Tooth Extractor

Reaction score
I would say no. Dentistry is more than just implants...

:thumbup:

Yeah, you're right, but what's dentistry without a drill, implants, root canals etc.

Though, these miracle techniques (regenerating teeth) seem very expensive. I don't know it's very hard to tell....

yappy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't regrowing teeth be another (expensive) tool in the tool boxes of dentists the same way many other procedures are?

For example, implants can be a great technique; however, many people are priced out of getting an implant and it also takes alot of time and multi office visits. As a result some people just opt for a crown and RTC rather than just pulling a tooth for an implant. Why wouldn't these same pressures be present for regrowing teeth (assuming it's safe or desirable). With this same logic did the implant make the standard filling obsolete?

Tooth Extractor

Reaction score
Why wouldn't regrowing teeth be another (expensive) tool in the tool boxes of dentists the same way many other procedures are?

For example, implants can be a great technique; however, many people are priced out of getting an implant and it also takes alot of time and multi office visits. As a result some people just opt for a crown and RTC rather than just pulling a tooth for an implant. Why wouldn't these same pressures be present for regrowing teeth (assuming it's safe or desirable). With this same logic did the implant make the standard filling obsolete?

Yes, it might not prevent implants from vanishing. But you also bring an important topic, are these regenerating techniques safe, durable (like implants), and do they last like implants? We'll let the FDA, ADA, insurance companies, and schools decide (they know what's best for our patients) :D

xbite

Reaction score
In the very distant future...if, and when, this miracle tooth-regrowing procedure is approved by the FDA, I don't think it will be an over-the-counter kind of thing. It'll probably be only dentists who can use it, so that people aren't growing teeth out of their eyeballs.

Dentistry will be fine.

scrambledgreggs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As long as people have mouths and teeth, there will be dentists to take care of them

cmcner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tooth erupts in patient's mouth
Patient doesn't take care of the tooth, develops caries gets a filling
Filling fails or patient gets additional caries on the same tooth, patient gets a RCT and crown
Patient gets root caries due to recession and tooth becomes unrestorable and gets extracted

New genetically engineered tooth erupts into patients mouth
Patient doesn't take care of the tooth, develops caries gets a filling
Filling fails or patient gets additional caries on the same tooth, patient gets a RCT and crown
Patient gets root caries due to recession and tooth becomes unrestorable and gets extracted

Repeat

Last edited:

NDPitch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dentistry is fine in the sense that it is a service that people will need for the foreseeable future. However, there are two main issues that are challenging DENTISTS right now that I think we should focus most of the time and energy on.

1) The ludicrous price of a dental education.
2) Maldistribution of dentists and the possibility of dental therapists joining the party.

Those are the issues I see being big in "the future of dentistry".

Members don't see this ad :)

ushaseos

-Classified Information-
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Independently regenerating teeth is too far ahead
Creating teeth from iPSC is too expensive and inefficient for the general public.

My research was in similar treatments for spinal injuries. Hockeytalk speaks the truth here. This stuff is great research material with really wonderful science behind it...that aside there are SOOOOO many issues to be fixed before these will ever become viable for general usage.

Dentistry will not be killed by regenerative teeth and will likely remain a viable career for a very long time. Certain specialties MAY take a couple hits here and there if promising new technology surfaces, but the field itself should be fine in my opinion.

kpanesar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
its not as far off as many think.. there will be some issues and the procedure would need to be tightly regulated, but it will definitely be a treatment offered to patients that can afford it. implants themselves are only a bandaid procedure and take way too long to become fixed, something like 18 months from start to finish. heres a study with mice where they regrew teeth..the future is here.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2009/08/03-04.html

a2ndragoon89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not going to happen anytime soon. lol :thumbup: No one would pay an arm and leg for a tooth versus a cheap implant. (in comparison)

Titus Times

Afro Doc
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
dentistry's not going anywhere just like pancakes.

dantemac

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once you come to dental school and learn about teeth stem cells, the research is laughable. The technology is so far away from re-growing entire teeth. They can't even induce tooth formation in animals let alone go through the rigorous programs to be accepted for human use. The technology is very far away

Aestheticbrah

Reaction score
If this teeth regrowing technology becomes available to humans then it will probably be preformed by doctors, doctors who specialize in teeth....wait what? I don't even...

Jasmine zazi

Reaction score

omg right!!