The future of EMR and Rad Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many hospitals and private groups have fully transitioned to EMR (electronic medical record) as mandated by the HITECH (The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health) act. However, there is a fundamental disconnect between using EMR for documentation/orders and the technical nature of Rad Onc EMR (needs record & verify). My former residency switched to Epic EMR a little while back (which they use to document all inpatient/outpatient clinical encounters) but still uses MOSAIQ for record & verify.

I assume in the near-term, this type of scenario will be commonplace? It seems to me that there is not much incentive for Epic or Tenant to include Rad Onc specific stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, totally irritating.

We are using a homegrown EMR for radonc documentation purposes and MOSAIQ for technical stuff. It's this program our physics management group created, and it's not that great, but will me on the market soon as it meets meaningful use.

Many hospitals and private groups have fully transitioned to EMR (electronic medical record) as mandated by the HITECH (The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health) act. However, there is a fundamental disconnect between using EMR for documentation/orders and the technical nature of Rad Onc EMR (needs record & verify). My former residency switched to Epic EMR a little while back (which they use to document all inpatient/outpatient clinical encounters) but still uses MOSAIQ for record & verify.

I assume in the near-term, this type of scenario will be commonplace? It seems to me that there is not much incentive for Epic or Tenant to include Rad Onc specific stuff.

Having just interviewed all over the place, I can say that >70% of the places I interviewed did something like this EPIC + Mosaiq. It came up on a tour or something, and they did say that they didn't foresee EPIC including those more Rad Onc specific tasks. Kind of unfortunate really.