the future of heme onc

Discussion in 'Other Subspecialties' started by hsans23, Jun 17, 2008.

1. hsans23

2+ Year Member

I know heme onc took a hit a few years back with chemo reimbursements, i think, but what does the future hold for the specialty as the size of the cancer population continues to grow?

2. Apply Pressure

5+ Year Member

3. TommyGunn04

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    there's a growing shortage of oncologists and increasingly more cancer each year, plus a number of promising new targeted therapies with lots more to come. As such, I believe the future looks bright for oncology.

I'm not convinced about the reimbursement problem either. From what I've heard, people are getting hired at $300-400k right out of fellowship in the Southeast. Of course, academics pays much less. In any case, I wouldn't recommend oncology if you're in it for the money...that's a perfect recipe for burnout with how hard they work and all the pain and suffering they generally see.

4. DrJosephKim

DrJosephKim Advisor
    Physician SDN Advisor 7+ Year Member

The salaries are still very high, but the workload is incredible. Since there continue to be many pipeline agents in the field of oncology, this is a very exciting area in terms of drug development and pharma/biotech. Hence, many oncologist are also getting pulled into non-clinical positions since more and more opportunities are opening up.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. staup

5+ Year Member

[​IMG]
    When you say the workload is incredible, how does that compare to Cards and GI. Can someone realistically attempt to maintain a normal family life in the field?

Also, is there any way to do research in private practice?

thanks for any help.

6. crys20

crys20 make it happen!
    5+ Year Member

i know several attendings with very nice lives - 5 day weeks with weekend call every 3 or 4 weekends depending on how many partners in the group. they split their days half clinic half hospital and are normally there 8-5. very nice lives IMO, probably not as cush as GI on average and much cushier than cards in general.

7. staup

5+ Year Member

does anyone know what an academic oncologist makes?