the future of heme onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hsans23

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know heme onc took a hit a few years back with chemo reimbursements, i think, but what does the future hold for the specialty as the size of the cancer population continues to grow?

Members don't see this ad.

there's a growing shortage of oncologists and increasingly more cancer each year, plus a number of promising new targeted therapies with lots more to come. As such, I believe the future looks bright for oncology.

I'm not convinced about the reimbursement problem either. From what I've heard, people are getting hired at $300-400k right out of fellowship in the Southeast. Of course, academics pays much less. In any case, I wouldn't recommend oncology if you're in it for the money...that's a perfect recipe for burnout with how hard they work and all the pain and suffering they generally see.

Members don't see this ad :)
The salaries are still very high, but the workload is incredible. Since there continue to be many pipeline agents in the field of oncology, this is a very exciting area in terms of drug development and pharma/biotech. Hence, many oncologist are also getting pulled into non-clinical positions since more and more opportunities are opening up.

The salaries are still very high, but the workload is incredible. Since there continue to be many pipeline agents in the field of oncology, this is a very exciting area in terms of drug development and pharma/biotech. Hence, many oncologist are also getting pulled into non-clinical positions since more and more opportunities are opening up.

icon1.gif

When you say the workload is incredible, how does that compare to Cards and GI. Can someone realistically attempt to maintain a normal family life in the field?

Also, is there any way to do research in private practice?

thanks for any help.

i know several attendings with very nice lives - 5 day weeks with weekend call every 3 or 4 weekends depending on how many partners in the group. they split their days half clinic half hospital and are normally there 8-5. very nice lives IMO, probably not as cush as GI on average and much cushier than cards in general.

does anyone know what an academic oncologist makes?