the future of matching as a DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

givesumacceptpls

Reaction score
As much as I try to follow and understand the accreditation merger, I am so confused right now with the future of the match.
Right now DO has its own match, and so does MD.
Usually a DO student creates two independent lists for the DO and MD algorithms, right, but if he matches DO, because it's held first, then he must be removed from the MD match.

Now, is this how it's going to be in the future but the difference is that now all residencies are ACGME approved?
Or, are the DO and MD matches going to be consolidated into one?
It would be super cool to just log on to NRMP, create your list and match away without fear of missing out on some sweet residencies, but I don't know if the single accreditation system is heading for this.

Members don't see this ad.

As much as I try to follow and understand the accreditation merger, I am so confused right now with the future of the match.
Right now DO has its own match, and so does MD.
Usually a DO student creates two independent lists for the DO and MD algorithms, right, but if he matches DO, because it's held first, then he must be removed from the MD match.

Now, is this how it's going to be in the future but the difference is that now all residencies are ACGME approved?
Or, are the DO and MD matches going to be consolidated into one?
It would be super cool to just log on to NRMP, create your list and match away without fear of missing out on some sweet residencies, but I don't know if the single accreditation system is heading for this.

I don’t think fear of missing out on “sweet residencies” is the concern, it’s missing out on residencies period. Due to more applicants and the merged match. Every year is more competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
The sky is always falling on SDN and it’s been falling for years. Work hard, make yourself the best applicant, and it’ll all work out (barring you trying to do something wildly competitive or in competitive places)

Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also wanted to know. Any current student can provide insights on whether your schools have gave you guys talks/workshops about how the match will affect DOs?

Maybe it will be better to revisit this next year when the match results are out?

All programs have been merged into the ACGME. AOA programs which passed a set of standards will still exist [under the ACGME]. This will be the last year of two different matches.

Don’t worry about what your school will or will not provide you regarding information. Everything you need to know is available online. You have to be your own advocate.

All specialties will continue to be availableble to MD, as well as DO. Do well in your coursework and clinical rotations. Take Step 1 & Step 2. Network heavily with residents and PDs. Get published.

If you accomplish all of these things in the right way, you will be able to secure a specialty of your choosing.

It won’t be easy- if it was everyone would do it.

Reactions: 8 users
If you accomplish all of these things in the right way, you will be able to secure a specialty of your choosing.

Should really read "If you accomplish all of these things in the right way, you will be able to secure a specialty."

The Emergency Medicine program at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton California recently switched from AOA to ACGME. The PGY-2 residents are 100 % DOs while the PGY-1 class has 5 MDs and 3 DOs. The new program director is now an MD. Things that make you say hmmm..... Did we sign a deal with the devil ???

Reactions: 1 users
The Emergency Medicine program at Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton California recently switched from AOA to ACGME. The PGY-2 residents are 100 % DOs while the PGY-1 class has 5 MDs and 3 DOs. The new program director is now an MD. Things that make you say hmmm..... Did we sign a deal with the devil ???

don't worry, the MDs will take the previously DO spots in California and highly desirable areas. There will now be vacant spots in rural Nebraska that were previously MD residencies.

I mean, who doesn't want to do pediatrics in eastern North Dakota? I hear rural Appalachia is very nice after the flies go away.

Well Arrowhead now has an associated MD school, so it's only inevitable that they will be trying to move towards incorporating more MDs into their graduate education.

This is my worry too. :(

don't worry, the MDs will take the previously DO spots in California and highly desirable areas. There will now be vacant spots in rural Nebraska that were previously MD residencies.

I mean, who doesn't want to do pediatrics in eastern North Dakota? I hear rural Appalachia is very nice after the flies go away.

Popular locations of DO spots may be taken over by MD. Sounds like devil’s deal.

Anecdotal: my school's match this year was among the best in our school's history in terms of number of people landing competitive specialties, highly-ranked medical centers, or competitive specialties at highly-ranked medical centers (e.g. we landed multiple interventional radiology w/ two @ Mayo and UTSW). We've also started landing other mid-competitive specialties at top-ranked programs for the first time in our history.

I think your mileage will vary depending on your school's match history and the reputation of your program in your area and abroad. Schools that have matched more ACGME in the past are likely to do better, or, at least, not change, post-merger. Schools that have matched more AOA in the past are likely to do worse, or, at best, not change, post-merger.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Unless you have a time machine and go to the future, it's hard to tell. I guess you gotta wait until 2020-2021 to truly know.