The future of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hxx437

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:
My wife is going to apply for Pharmacy school next year.
I'm kind of worried about the future of Pharmacy career.
Currently it looks like that fierce competition comes from
Canada or internet pharmacy site, which is not good news for
pharmacy stores. In the future, will they still pay so much for
pharmacists?

Your opinion appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you live in America, I think you're ok. From what I've heard, pharmacy is an excellent field to go into in america.

Members don't see this ad :)
hxx437 said:
pharmacists?

Expected starting salaries in 10 years set at 120K; more positions opening; most people won't use Canada imports, seems most people are going if using very expensive maintenance drugs; lose some business, not much; pharmacist shortage will increase bc school's can't keep up with demand; many different areas wife could go into besides traditional community pharmacy.

(Source: Arizona Republic's article on pharmacist career)

hxx437 said:
pharmacists?
I don't know about the future of Canadian drugs... It's totally against federal law, but nobody will actually enforce it because nobody wants to be known as "the person who took grandma's drugs away". The drug companies also forbid it, since they sell to Canada for a greatly reduced price. The USA is paying for the world's drugs. Opinions?

I think there will be a major overhaul in drug pricing methods and standardization among developed countries before pharmacists ever have to worry about losing their jobs.

America is paying for the world's drugs, and for some reason I don't think that will ever change.

as soon as we start bombing canada and take over that sorry excuse for a neighbor and use the east portion for a large toxic waste dump and the west for a vacation mecca,, then you will only have to worry about the internet which seems like a real concern to me,,,,,particularly for the chronic meds...

obviously kidding about canada but one can dream

jdpharmd? said:
I don't know about the future of Canadian drugs... It's totally against federal law, but nobody will actually enforce it because nobody wants to be known as "the person who took grandma's drugs away". The drug companies also forbid it, since they sell to Canada for a greatly reduced price. The USA is paying for the world's drugs. Opinions?

Yea I was discussing this with a Step Therapy class I was training (Step Therapy-- take these two drugs, before company will pay brand name at copay and not full price), we do fund the world's use of medicine and technology. I mean, it's so easy for Canada or India to sell them so cheaply with socialized medicine bc they aren't invested or privatized like we are currently. But if you want to see how our health care could look (sure Canada has cheap drugs) like and what type of discoveries we'd have, look at how bad Canada rates with the rest of the world in medical technology and science. Ugh.

Drugs probably cost 500 million from point A (R&D) to point B (Store)--source Mark Rothstein, Pharmacogenomics book. Astounding for one chemical compound! So they have to have 17 year patents to make back on their investment or they would be bankrupt. This is so complicated, bc we need people to get medicine to live and live in a healthy state but how to we pay for it all!

AWk, whats the answer to this moral and economic dilemma?!

if you have been to a hospital, nursing home, or even a community pharmacy you will see that pharmacist do much more intangibles than a mail order/internet pharmacy or canadian pharmacy can do. ;)

if you read the definition of pharmaceutical care, what pharmacists are primarily concerned with these days, you will note that pharmacists provide a level of care that others cannot. (you can find the defintion on the aacp.org ). they are the ones that consult their patients on a face-to-face level about issues like compliance, interactions and so on. medications are changing everyday and pharmacists are the ones trained and capable of stepping up to that plate. they are the ones doctors call for dosing info, titration info... the list goes on and on (my husband is a neurosurgical resident and always calls the pharmacist at his hospital for questions). clincal pharmacy is expanding in every which way. i have heard a few states now allow their pharmacists to be the ones writing a prescription for certain classes of drugs. additionally, a pharmacist i know does coumadin therapy and she monitors everyday how the body is reacting and recalculates their dosing based upon things like how much brocolli they ate... (brocolli has a negating effect on coumadin). :D

anyways, the field of pharmacy is extremely young... it is changing everyday and the oppty's in the field are SO numerous. think of the oppyt's with pharmacogenomics... what the pharmacists can do there is absolutely amazing!! it is changing, but currently there is a common misconception of the pharmacist job def. the pharmacist of tomorrow (and today!) doesn't just count pills and put stickers on, roles that internet/mail order/foreign far off pharmacies can fullfill. +pity+ the pharmacist plays a a very vital role in the healthcare team!! There is a ton of info out there on this!! :wow:

hint: to all pre-pharm ppl, do some research before you write you personal statement- they will see the difference. :cool:

if you have been to a hospital, nursing home, or even a community pharmacy you will see that pharmacist do much more intangibles than a mail order/internet pharmacy or canadian pharmacy can do. ;)

if you read the definition of pharmaceutical care, what pharmacists are primarily concerned with these days, you will note that pharmacists provide a level of care that others cannot. (you can find the defintion on the aacp.org ). they are the ones that consult their patients on a face-to-face level about issues like compliance, interactions and so on. medications are changing everyday and pharmacists are the ones trained and capable of stepping up to that plate. they are the ones doctors call for dosing info, titration info... the list goes on and on (my husband is a neurosurgical resident and always calls the pharmacist at his hospital for questions). clincal pharmacy is expanding in every which way. i have heard a few states now allow their pharmacists to be the ones writing a prescription for certain classes of drugs. additionally, a pharmacist i know does coumadin therapy and she monitors everyday how the body is reacting and recalculates their dosing based upon things like how much brocolli they ate... (brocolli has a negating effect on coumadin). :D

anyways, the field of pharmacy is extremely young... it is changing everyday and the oppty's in the field are SO numerous. think of the oppyt's with pharmacogenomics... what the pharmacists can do there is absolutely amazing!! it is changing, but currently there is a common misconception of the pharmacist job def. the pharmacist of tomorrow (and today!) doesn't just count pills and put stickers on, roles that internet/mail order/foreign far off pharmacies can fullfill. +pity+ the pharmacist plays a a very vital role in the healthcare team!! There is a ton of info out there on this!! :wow:

hint: to all pre-pharm ppl, do some research before you write you personal statement- they will see the difference. :cool:

This is an interesting post! As a pre-pharm student, where should I go to really get a better understanding of what pharmacists do in a clinical setting? Maybe volunteer at a hospital and ask to shadow a pharmacist there?

Yea I was discussing this with a Step Therapy class I was training (Step Therapy-- take these two drugs, before company will pay brand name at copay and not full price), we do fund the world's use of medicine and technology. I mean, it's so easy for Canada or India to sell them so cheaply with socialized medicine bc they aren't invested or privatized like we are currently. But if you want to see how our health care could look (sure Canada has cheap drugs) like and what type of discoveries we'd have, look at how bad Canada rates with the rest of the world in medical technology and science. Ugh.

Drugs probably cost 500 million from point A (R&D) to point B (Store)--source Mark Rothstein, Pharmacogenomics book. Astounding for one chemical compound! So they have to have 17 year patents to make back on their investment or they would be bankrupt. This is so complicated, bc we need people to get medicine to live and live in a healthy state but how to we pay for it all!

AWk, whats the answer to this moral and economic dilemma?!

your 500 million cost for developing a drug is not very consistent with the recent studies that claim that the drug companies spend twice as much in marketing than they do in research. also many recent studies are contradicting the claims that most common and popular maintenance drugs have made. the increase in fines merck and pfizer are paying has also increased due to their business practices with the medicaid and medicare. But hey that's just me.

What sources did you consult for your reserach? BAsed on what you mentioned, I'd like to get a deeper understaning of this field. It seems interesting. thanks.

pharmacists?

You shouldnt be worried about your wife's future. First, internet pharmacy sites and cheaper drugs in Canada has been around for a while. It has not threaten pharmacys in the US and it probably wont in the future either. Our fierce competition mainly comes from mail order. Even with a lot of unions changing to mail order, pharmacy as a profession is still thirving.

In terms of pay, nothing is ever guarantee. I can tell you that Canadian pharmacists get paid about the same as American pharmacists. I wouldnt worry about the Mexican border either as there is such heavy border patrols on drug smugglers etc. Plus the trip is not worth it just to get "drugs". A lot of internet pharmacys are a joke because nobody know what is real and whats conterfeit. Sure there are a few legit ones like drugstore.com but I dont see it as a competition. Look at it this way, has Amazon, Ebay, online clothing shops hurt the businesses of retailers? A Macy website does not replace the Macy stores itself.

In addition, there are a lot of medications that has to be filled there on the spot such as pain meds, antibiotics, etc. There are also the things that the other posters said. . . there is a lot more to pharmacy than dispensing drugs. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

a lot of internet pharmacies are getting into trouble for filling illegal prescriptions so I see online pharmacies as becoming less of a threat due to laws becoming more strictly enforced