The gen chem dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realmeaning

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university had a compressed one semester gen chem requirement, which I got a C in. Now I'm in postbacc and want to retake chem to refresh my mind and also to boost my GPA (3.3 in humanities).

My post bacc university (a local school) doesn't offer Gen Chem I in this summer and if I waited to take it in the fall it would F me over in terms of orgo. Should I just go straight to Gen Chem II this summer?

The Gen Chem I course is already taking place in the 'interim' period and I just emailed the professor to see if I could audit. The other option is taking Gen Chem I at a community college.

I desperately need to bring up my GPA and need every last damn course.

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like your best option is to take Gen chem I at a CC, then take gen chem II in the fall. Does this mean that you would take orgo I in the spring then orgo II the following fall? Ther is a lot of good material out there (khanacademy.org) that can help you review gen chem I stuff, but why risk it if you don't have too. Also, if you are looking to boost your GPA then taking gen chem I would be an oppertunity to do that, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the CC. CC credits might not be ideal, but one class won't matter as long as you get an A. Alternatively, Oregon State University, U of Oregon and Western Washington give instate tuition for everyone over the summer. I did an entire year of general chem at Oregon State last summer. You probably won't want to uproot your life to move to another state for the summer, but if you hurry you could enroll in time for classes there.

Okay, I didn't realize how the 'no CC classes' rule could be bent. This helps.

It does mean that I'd end up taking orgo the following fall (of '13), however, when I wanted to be all done.

What if I took Gen Chem I (at CC) and Gen Chem II concurrently, for the sake of my transcript? I could look up Khan Academy and work my butt off. Is this overly idealistic?

Okay, I didn't realize how the 'no CC classes' rule could be bent. This helps.

It does mean that I'd end up taking orgo the following fall (of '13), however, when I wanted to be all done.

What if I took Gen Chem I (at CC) and Gen Chem II concurrently, for the sake of my transcript? I could look up Khan Academy and work my butt off. Is this overly idealistic?

With having already taken Gen Chem once before, you could probably manage it. GCII builds a LOT on GCI, but you could very well make it work if you were willing/able to put in the extra effort to keep up. On the plus side, the GCI course would likely feel pretty easy while doing them concurrently.

With having already taken Gen Chem once before, you could probably manage it. GCII builds a LOT on GCI, but you could very well make it work if you were willing/able to put in the extra effort to keep up. On the plus side, the GCI course would likely feel pretty easy while doing them concurrently.

Yeah, I'm worried about GCII, but it's good to hear that it's not crazy to both. Guess I'll be spending a lot less time on SDN, haha.

Thanks.