The Geometry of HCL ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mrhyde

Becoming Dr. Jekyll
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Dat Destryoer Gen Chem number 42. It asked which molecules where linear ?

But one of the choices was HCl .... I chose that HCl was not linear but rather tetrahedral.

Well HCl is tetrahedral for electron domain geometry , but linear for molecular domain geometry.

How am I supposed to know which domain they want me to answer from , because technically i was right but I was wrong since they wanted the molecular domain answer And they never specified if they wanted me to decide the geometry based on Electron or Molecular ?

Members don't see this ad.

HCl is linear for both cases!
"A diatomic molecule, a molecule composed of only 2 atoms, must always be linear in shape as the centres of the 2 atoms will always be in a straight line."
HCl has two atoms, and if you draw it you can see the only possible structure is linear structure.

But one of the choices was HCl .... I chose that HCl was not linear but rather tetrahedral.

Well HCl is tetrahedral for electron domain geometry , but linear for molecular domain geometry.

How am I supposed to know which domain they want me to answer from , because technically i was right but I was wrong since they wanted the molecular domain answer And they never specified if they wanted me to decide the geometry based on Electron or Molecular ?

You want to look at the general shape of the whole molecule.

Members don't see this ad :)

For all questions,,,,,,,Shape pertains to MOLECULAR GEOMETRY....... For example.....the shape of H2O, H2S, and H2Se...would be BENT !!!!

Hope this helps.

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 user
Wait, so usually you look at the center atom to know the shape. So are all molecules with 2 atoms linear. Since H-Cl, Cl has 3 lone pairs and a bond. That's 4 electron domains. Hydrogen has one electron domain. You can't really tell so I assume it's always linear for elements with 2 atoms like carbon monoxide?