The Great Embryology Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaddyofNine

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Embyrology sucks. I mean, it's interesting, and all, but to actually have to go in and answer questions about it in an exam? Oy.

I find embryology the one MS1 subject that I can find the least amount of material with. Biochemistry's a pain in the ass as well, but at least there's about a gazillion books and websites out there for it. Embryology? Well, my friends reccomend Langman's. And.... that's about it.

Which is where you come in. I'm trying to put together a collection of links and textbook reccomendations that'll help whoever needs it (now and in the future) out with this festering boil of a subject.

I also despise the way the books are all academic-essay style. There's no high-yield list of facts that I can pick out and say, I need to know this. I always end up making my own.

I guess the question is, how do you study embryology?

Feel free to throw in any embryology success/sob - stories, study plans, etc. that you might have as well...

So, to kick it off:

• I like Langman's for some of the stuff, although I have to paraphrase it for exams. I end up making list of important stuff (e.g. dermal origination of various organs and structures - resp. system =>> endoderm) that I think is MCQ-material.
  • I found this site great for understanding the 3dimensional folding involved in the formation of the cardiovascular system!

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people say High Yield for any type of NBME you may get. BRS followed my class pretty well. I just used class notes for our tests (which was plenty) and BRS for the shelf (which was a waste, but I had it). Embryo is just one of those subjects that is pretty low yield, but just high enough to cost you a complete letter grade if you completely ignore it. So.... you can ignore it (not advisable), try to really learn it (also not advisable unless you just like that sort of thing), or half-ass it which is what most of us do. Just getting the high yield stuff in lecture was good for 8 or 9 out of 10 on the block exams and some unknown miserable score on the ebryo addendum to the anatomy NBME. But hey.... it's all relative and most people suck on that portion of the shelf. :thumbup:

watch those cartoons on that site and there are some good video animations too (i can't remember where though!)