The guaranteed admission podiatric community college program.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunyplatt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As stated on the Lorain County Community College website

Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine:

Students graduating from Lorain County Community College with an Associate of Science degree, and completing specific coursework included in and surpassing requirements for earning an Associate of Science degree, will be allowed admission into the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine to complete the program for the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree without having to earn a Bachelor's Degree. Admission is guaranteed for students who maintain an overall GPA of at least a 3.00, with a science GPA of at least a 3.25 during their program at LCCC; score (apparently a 22 MCAT now) or higher on the MCAT; and have sound letters of recommendation from a faculty member and a podiatrist.

Any comments or thoughts?

I didn't make up the 18 mcat to prove it go to google and type

Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine
Admission is guaranteed for students who maintain an overall GPA of at least a 3.00, with a science GPA of at least a 3.25 during their program at LCCC; score 18 or higher on the MCAT; and have sound letters of recommendation from a faculty member and a podiatrist.

The second result will show the 18 mcat score still in the text on google....they changed it today I think because I called and they updated there stats

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The topic of this thread is now:

Parity.

This is my first time hearing about this. Wish I had known when coming out of high school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, I find it really strange that an associates will guarantee you a spot. But interesting and great if true.

I'm sorry, but I have to really agree with Ferocity. I think that pre-pods, pod students, and practicing residents and podiatrist would like to all strive for parity. If this is true, which I an very skeptical, would be a terrible step in the wrong direction.

I am not saying that someone with an associates degree is not capable of becoming a wonderful podiatrist and surgeon. I just believe that the venture for parity starts at the level of education we receive. To shorten the time it takes to become a practicing pod could be detrimental to the way we are perceived in the world of medicine.

On top of the overall shortening of years in an academic environment, I also find the admission standards to be very troubling. A 3.0 cGPA, 3.25 sGPA, and 18 MCAT is FAR from stellar!! Those stats would not get you into ANY MD/DO schools. To say that these stats could guarantee admission would be absolutely horrendous and could potentially hurt the reputation of podiatry.

Last edited:
I just checked their website and do not believe its a great idea. The associates degree lacks organic chemistry and students who take this route will enter podiatry school with a severe disadvantage. Subjects in Organic chemistry are built upon in upper division courses (micro, biochem, phys, etc). Be prepare to hit the ground running when you start podiatry school .

Is this for real? 100% authenticated? Because, this would really drop OCPM's standards...

I'm not sure what alarms me more: not requiring a four year degree for admission or that a MCAT score of 18 guarantees admission. :scared:
We need all of the schools to be strengthening the admission standards. This is a step (or leap) in the wrong direction.

Did some research... turns out sunnyplatt edited the MCAT number required

Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine
Students graduating from Lorain County Community College with an Associate of Science degree, and completing specific coursework included in and surpassing requirements for earning an Associate of Science degree, will be allowed admission into the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine to complete the program for the Doctor of Podiatric Medicine degree without having to earn a Bachelor's Degree. Admission is guaranteed for students who maintain an overall GPA of at least a 3.00, with a science GPA of at least a 3.25 during their program at LCCC; score 22 or higher on the MCAT; and have sound letters of recommendation from a faculty member and a podiatrist.

If you'd like feel free to check the link below:
http://www.lorainccc.edu/transfer+information/articulation.htm

I'm looking at the information for an Associates of Science at this community college, and from what I can see, the OPPORTUNITY to take the minimum requirements are certainly there. Chem 1, 2, Orgo 1, 2, Bio 1, 2, and a whole slew of math courses available. I think that students who work hard will do well regardless. But keep in mind, the requirement to score a 22 or higher is actually a higher standard than the incoming applicants. I'm not really sure how to interpret this new bit of info... Only time will definitely tell...

Members don't see this ad :)
Completion of a bachelor's degree has long NOT been a requirement to be admitted to Podiatry school, but most people just assume it to be so. While the vast majority of students do complete a 4 year degree first, even the mighty Des Moines University College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery does NOT require a bachelor's but instead has a credit hour requirement:

"In some situations, exceptional students may be considered for admission after completing only three years (90 semester hours) of undergraduate work."
(quoted from: http://www.dmu.edu/pm/admission-requirements/ )

However, it seems that they obviously encourage future matriculants to finish their degree and would only take a very highly qualified candidate without a degree, and they also make no guarantees about acceptance, community college or otherwise.

I personally think that if a student can cram 90 credit hours into 3 years and have successful grades to show for it, they have proved that they are as, or even more capable than, a student who did the same in 4, and probably deserve to be admitted early.

I think the concern is the fact that all the courses are taken at a community college. We don't really know how difficult a level they maintain. In general, community colleges are on a lesser level than a traditional 4 year university (which is why most podiatry schools frown on multiple community college credits). But there are some CC's that are decent. Right now, I'm thoroughly researching this specific CC to see what sort of standards are set.

I didn't alter the numbers

Last edited:
Quite strange they'd have such a large error on their website but ok :p Wasn't meaning to insult... just looked up the website and posted what I saw.

There are also some med schools that don't require a 4 year degree, BUT it is rare that anyone is admitted without one. This is what we should strive for. Also, I believe that even with the new 22 MCAT standard, it is much too low to set a higher standard for our admissions standard. I believe that changing admissions standards would change how we all are viewed for the better. The strategy that OCPM is currently implementing is doing nothing for this career. I don't usually express strong opinions on SDN, but I feel that this is really terrible and I need to vent.

Last edited:
To my knowledge podiatry schools require 90 semester hours + meet the pre med requirements for admissions. Which is the same for medical schools. Very few enter without a 4 year degree. As far as I know.. everyone in my class has a 4 year degree.

GUARANTEED admission? while I'm not guaranteed with a BS in microbio, 30+ for sure on mcat (havn't taken it yet but am a cocky mofo), and admirable credentials? hmmm...

What would be the goal of a program like this?

I think its ridiculous just purely based on the fact that the coursework is taken at a community college.

Yeah this program seems to legitimatize Ohio's program. I wonder if this CC/Ohio partnership will continue once Ohio is part of Kent State....?

As far as I could find the guaranteed admission is only mentioned on their website. Ocpm's handbook only discusses the articulation agreement. I don't really think it is that big of a deal, as most students with those stats will be accepted at several to most podiatry schools anyway. Furthermore most of the schools (temple, barry, nycpm, ohio, scholl, dmu's med program not sure on pod) have some form of an articulation agreement with various schools.

I guess someone could still be upset if they just really don't like community colleges. Personally I wish I would have gone to a community college over the expensive private school I went to, just means more loans to pay back in the end:(....

To meet accreditation standards this would require the applicant to take required higher level courses at a four-year institution to meet the minimum credit hours. Nonetheless, to post such high watermark GPAs from a community college (basket weaving...), makes it possible for The OCPM to accept applicants who fall below their website stated required science GPA. One step forward, three steps back.

Taken from the OCPM handbook:

"OCPM cooperates in accelerated associate/doctoral degree programs with Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C) in Cleveland, Lorain Community College in Lorain and Lakeland Community College in Kirtland, Ohio. These programs permit qualified community college students to enter OCPM following the completion of three years of specified college study. Entrance to the program is predicated upon proven academic abilities, including the completion of a general education core and pre-professional science curriculum at the community college, commitment to the profession and its advancement, and demonstrated moral and professional character."

I don't see the problem, the students are taking the required pre-professional science curriculum. As long as the community colleges are accredited it is just like any other professional school early entrance agreement.

If you can get the prereqs out of the way on the cheap then why not? Seems like a good idea for those that are in a position to do it.