the "have you heard back from ____ about your away rotation yet?" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone heard anything from Mt Sinai today about being accepted for an away rotation through the VSAS website? Feel free to jack this thread to ask about other programs because I'll probably be doing the same :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone heard anything from Mt Sinai today about being accepted for an away rotation through the VSAS website? Feel free to jack this thread to ask about other programs because I'll probably be doing the same :)

I think it's still a tad early - most don't start looking till June to fill the rest of their rotation spots with away rotators.

I think you also need to post the specialty because I assume different programs have different processes?

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah I guess thats possible, but strictly looking at the VSAS website the deadlines in terms of when you can begin to apply and when applications are processed and all that are by school/institution rather than by specialty. For what its worth I was talking about applying to an away rotation at Mt Sinai for ortho

I know our school doesn't begin looking at away rotation apps until mid-May because that's when we're supposed to have our fourth year schedule nailed down.

Turned down by Ohio State OTO because they're already full (frick! knew I should have been on the ball a bit more)

Got 4 still pending. UCSF, Wisconsin, UNC, Kansas for OTO. I hear May is when the real movement begins.

FYI - yesterday got an offer from Mount Sinai for the rotation I registered for on VSAS

Einstein is processing apps as of last week - I got an e-mail asking for additional information from the specific department I had applied to.

Ucsf? Hms?

Just got an email for the UCSF oto rotation saying that due to the # of applicants this year, they're doing away with the first come, first serve policy. You're required to send in a 1 pg letter letter describing your motivation for applying for a rotation in OHNS at UCSF and what you hope to accomplish during your 4 week rotation as well as your USMLE scores and they will be selecting according to that.

Don't know if other UCSF departments have adopted this policy.

Just got an email for the UCSF oto rotation saying that due to the # of applicants this year, they're doing away with the first come, first serve policy. You're required to send in a 1 pg letter letter describing your motivation for applying for a rotation in OHNS at UCSF and what you hope to accomplish during your 4 week rotation as well as your USMLE scores and they will be selecting according to that.

Don't know if other UCSF departments have adopted this policy.

Hmmm.. I didn't get an email requesting a letter, so maybe it's not all dept. I guess I just continue to wait and :confused: and a little :scared:

Anyone heard from HMS? The confirmation letter says "You will receive an email from HMS once the scheduling process has begun for the first month for which you have applied."

Anyone know if this is dept specific or if everyone who applied for Aug will get an email saying "scheduling for Aug has now begun we will notify you blah blah blah"?

Thanks, I haven't heard from anyone of my aways yet and I'm very :scared:

I've been told that it is bad form to apply to multiple institutions for the same rotation in the same month, but I have not heard back from my one application for a July spot. What if I don't get it and then I won't have anything scheduled then? What do you guys suggest? Put in some more apps or just wait it out? I've already emailed to check on my application status but no reply yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been told that it is bad form to apply to multiple institutions for the same rotation in the same month, but I have not heard back from my one application for a July spot. What if I don't get it and then I won't have anything scheduled then? What do you guys suggest? Put in some more apps or just wait it out? I've already emailed to check on my application status but no reply yet.

why is this bad form? I'm asking b/c I did just this b/c I was afraid that there wouldn't be any spots, since first dibs go to home students. :confused:

I was told that if you end up getting multiple offers and having to cancel or decline them, it just looks bad. I don't know how true this is. The same person who told me this also told me to call/email the school and just ask about your chances of getting a spot. I emailed last week but no response yet. I want to apply to a bunch of places just to ensure that I get a spot somewhere. I think I'm going to give it a few more days before I put in some more apps though.

I just wanna chime in that applying to several places for the same rotation on the same month may look bad, but if you need to get an away rotation in a certain area/city and are getting turned away from away rotations, this might be a risk you have to take. Ultimately I feel it's better to have to turn down an away rotation than rather not have any place to rotate at.

I just wanna chime in that applying to several places for the same rotation on the same month may look bad, but if you need to get an away rotation in a certain area/city and are getting turned away from away rotations, this might be a risk you have to take. Ultimately I feel it's better to have to turn down an away rotation than rather not have any place to rotate at.

do they really keep track of who turned them down? seems like an awful lot of work. there are also other "real life" reasons to turn down doing a rotation: family, $$.

seems pretty farfetched to me, aka "he said, she said"

I've heard that it is largely a bunch of BS that you would get black-balled for applying for multiple rotations and turning down some when you finally get what you want. There may be one person superficially screening applications by the grades on your transcript or your step 1 score, but they probably won't even remember your name when you eventually apply for residency (at which point multiple people will have a say in whether or not you get in). Also as long as you withdraw your other applications when you get the one you want you should be good.

PS - anyone heard back from USF???? I applied on the first of May and haven't heard from them yet

University of South Florida?

Yup. Their VSAS application opened on May 1 and I had my application in and immunizations updated right away. All I've gotten so far was the e-mail confirming the receipt of my app. Anyone hear about being accepted/rejected from a rotation yet?

Uhm, I have applied to SEVERAL schools for the same month. Considering some have already said they're full, I am not too worried about being "black-listed". They understand the competitive nature of some these fields, and they themselves turn down tons of worthy applicants just because they can't accept everyone. I would think that as intelligent adults they understand it works both ways.

Uhm, I have applied to SEVERAL schools for the same month. Considering some have already said they're full, I am not too worried about being "black-listed". They understand the competitive nature of some these fields, and they themselves turn down tons of worthy applicants just because they can't accept everyone. I would think that as intelligent adults they understand it works both ways.

+1

btw what field are you applying for?

Y'all are making me nervous. I'm going to look into some more programs this weekend.

I was told that if you end up getting multiple offers and having to cancel or decline them, it just looks bad.

You can always withdraw from the others after you get your first acceptance for that month. This is what I am doing. I had to have my away in August so I applied to several programs only for August. Got turned down by one since they were full in August, accepted by one, and I am withdrawing from the rest now that I know I have an away.

Wow I'm really freaking out now... UCSF (applied 4/15), HMS (applied 3/17), Emory (applied 5/1), UCLA (applied 5/4).

Anyone heard from any of these schools?

Wow I'm really freaking out now... UCSF (applied 4/15), HMS (applied 3/17), Emory (applied 5/1), UCLA (applied 5/4).

Anyone heard from any of these schools?
Which specialty?

I haven't heard back one way or the other yet, but I know someone who has heard from UCSD already for all of you applying in California.

I haven't heard back one way or the other yet, but I know someone who has heard from UCSD already for all of you applying in California.

i thought ucsd's catalog wasn't even out yet? i've been waiting to apply. am i missing something?

Hmmm I just checked on VSAS and you are right--so who knows what my friend is talking about? :confused:

do they really keep track of who turned them down? seems like an awful lot of work. there are also other "real life" reasons to turn down doing a rotation: family, $$.

seems pretty farfetched to me, aka "he said, she said"

I thought it would be farfetched too as well but one of the M4s I talked to in my class gave me this impression. He applied to an away rotation to a nearby school and got it, but decided to go to a more prestigious campus. He did not get an interview from both places unfortunately. Knowing his track record (he had good step I scores, good grades and letters), I know that he would've been able to secure an interview at the nearby school, so that would have not been the issue.

But then again, I'm applying for an ophtho spot, and I'm from the Southeast, so the rules may be a little different (Southeastern departments seem to be close in touch with each other and usually prefer people from their own area).

My two cents? Hopefully this black-listing stuff is pure BS. I don't like it either and I do think departments realize trying to get a spot is tough. However, I've learned from third year never to count anything out.

Hmmm I just checked on VSAS and you are right--so who knows what my friend is talking about? :confused:
Sometimes people apply for spots outside of VSAS. I've heard of this before. Not sure how it works exactly, but some (or none) of the spots may have gone that way.

I recently received a spot at UCDavis for General Surgery. I'm still waiting to hear from GW...and debating whether or not I should start applying to other places for that particular month...

Anyone heard if they've secured a clerkship spot for July at HMS? I got an e-mail saying they're reviewing my application but haven't heard more than that.

Anyone heard if they've secured a clerkship spot for July at HMS? I got an e-mail saying they're reviewing my application but haven't heard more than that.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you get the email saying they were reviewing your app?

Ugh, I have to be the only one on the planet who hasn't heard anything from the aways I've applied for. Terribly frustrating and so stressed out! :scared:

Sorry had to vent for a second. :oops:

Ugh, I have to be the only one on the planet who hasn't heard anything from the aways I've applied for. Terribly frustrating and so stressed out! :scared:

Sorry had to vent for a second. :oops:

Nope, not a peep. I figure its better than hearing I'm declined.

I still haven't heard back from USF. I e-mailed them 2 weeks after my application was received and the registrar said that she was going through the apps in the order of when the rotations were (i.e. even if you applied late as long as it was for an early rotation your app would get looked at first). It seemed based on the way the e-mail was worded that it was actually someone from the registrar that looked at the applications which I thought was weird...

I'll be at Stanford for Oto in july-august. Still waiting to hear back from UCLA...

I got another e-mail from Penn and a spot opened for me...needless to say I took it, so I'll be there in August (back to my alma mater!). I've only heard from Duke and Mt. Sinai otherwise (both no).

Just got offer for USF ortho elective in Sept

I put in an app for a July spot at a school that started accepting apps on May 1st. Got an email confirmation, but nothing else. I sent an email checking on my status this past week, but no reply. Should I get nervous?

I put in an app for a July spot at a school that started accepting apps on May 1st. Got an email confirmation, but nothing else. I sent an email checking on my status this past week, but no reply. Should I get nervous?

I would go ahead and give them a call and see what's up. This is probably your worst-case, but another student at my school had the same thing going on, called them up only to hear "uhh you applied here?".

Invite from Vandy today...

UCSF finally got back to me today as well, fyi.

Heard back last week from UCLA for OTO. Will be there in September.

Heard from MGH and UCSF today!

Finally:soexcited: