The heck with med school and GPA(It's over now)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need great advices desperately from all of you successful people who have great achievement getting into med school. What would you do if you were me?
I'm 25, who graduated high school in Korea with almost 1.0GPA about 7 years ago. I came to the U.S. and went to 2year college and transferred to decent state school graduated with overall GPA for 4yrs is only 2.8. My major was health related science. Well, yeah I pretty much regret that I was a major party pooper. No one can't imagine how I much I was slacking in school.
Then I turned my life around and got so motivated and interested in medicine.
Well,last year, I retook some of science courses and new other courses total(about 14 credit) and all As but one B- in microorganism. So I decided to retake that microorganism course but this semester, unfortunately I had horrible instructor who DOES NOT curve though average was around 60s. Although I'm retaking same course, my exam average so far is 65. I know... bummer, loser.. so stupid. I studied so hard. I got low 80s on most exams on this same class last semester with different instructor though. Well, it's too late to drop this course. I have on exam and final which counts as double. I just don't know what to do. Just studying harder won't solve a problem. I can't imagine getting lower than B- the course I'm retaking!!! There will be NO med school(osteopathic) in the future I'm SOOOO frustrated right now. Only couple of people got A on our class. What kind of human are they? I think they are nuts.
Well, I have almost 300hrs working experience + volunteering at physical therapy and I've been working as a clinical tech for almost a year,have 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo, and 2yrs of teaching experience as a karate instructor when I was in highschool and college. And I'm starting Biotech grad program this fall.
So what shall I do? what if I get C in this course? Should I retake it? 3 times in a roll?? What other people think? Should I give up going to osteopathic school?
I would appreciate any advice from you guys.

Frustruated
D.O. wannabe

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I'm just applying this summer, but I read your post and I think you should still go for it. From what I've heard and read, DO schools are not as strict about grades, and life experience and interest in medicine both count a great deal. If you got good grades in other science courses (biology, org. chem, etc...) you should definitely still apply. You will have a chance to explain your grades in this one course during the application process.
I think that if this (DO school) is what you really want, you shouldn't give up. Maybe calling a couple of admissions offices and explaining your situation would give you a better picture of how competitive you'll be. Does your school have a pre-med advisor? If so, talk to him/her and maybe they can give you some insight.
Have you taken the MCAT yet? If you score well on it, it will show that you are capable of doing the science work in med school despite a few less than stellar grades in your past.
Anyway, that's just my 2 cents, but I hope it helped a little. Good Luck and keep us posted!
smile.gif
Liz

Go over to the other thread where you posted this message and read my response! Black belts do not give up!

Members don't see this ad :)
How badly do you want to be a physician? Your answer should give you some motivation. My advice, DO NOT GIVE UP! If you really want something, you CAN acheive it.

For example, I graduated w/ Economics major and went back to school to finish up all my required classes. Many of my friends told me that I was just wasting my time. To make the long story short, I proved them wrong. I'll be starting as an MS I at COMP this fall.

I know it took you a lot of time and effort to get up to your 4th degree black belt level because I too have a black belt in TaeKwonDo as well (only 2nd degree though). Hence, I strongly urge you to hang in there and try your darnest.

Don't lose HOPE.

It's not over unless we say it's over!

John Belushi, "Animal House"

Challenge---

I say don't give up, but at the same time, you must be realistic.

I was recently accepted and I know the competition is stiff. There are quite a few people out there with similar stories... they partied and then straightened up when they realized their situation.But, like another response said - you may get a chance to explain yourself.

Although you may get to explain yourself, the secondary applications that allow you to tell your story are generally sent out based on GPA and MCAT scores.

Also, there are many applicants that did not slack in college and still do not get accepted.

Everyone has a unique story and sometimes things other than grades and scores will help you get into Med School.

Keep trying if this is your dream. Don't "punk out" if this is what you want.

Thank you very much all of you.
I've always thought that I did so poorly in highschool and besides language barrier gave me a big handicap that I never thought about becoming a physician. But I gained so much confidence after I graduated from college that I could achieve anything. However, that one micro course is pain in the butt and I even have the worst instructor that you have to know only one studying strategy to get an A. I'm still trying to figure out how to study in this stinky course. Well, let say I got C in this course which means I repeated again from B- to C.(It's gonna be really suck that I repeated and got lower grade)
But can I take this course again? I would still want A in this course so bad. Or would you rather take other courses to make up?
I should have gotten advices from you guys before I register retaking this course at the beginning of semester!!!

hi everyone,

one thing that really impressed me at all of the interviews I went to this last year, is how varied the backgrounds of DO applicants are. We're not just students who went to school all day and studied all night - we're individuals with all kinds of experience. I met people who had gone on missions, lived through floods, were refugees, lost children, etc.

Never think that you are not good enough. Work on what you need to, to prove that you can cut the mustard. Then, get ready to tell the admissions committee about yourself and your special gifts.

"Champions are never quitters, and quitters are never champions"

electra

Just out of curiousity...WHY did you retake a course that you received a "B" in?

Originally posted by Challenge:
Thank you very much all of you.
I've always thought that I did so poorly in highschool and besides language barrier gave me a big handicap that I never thought about becoming a physician....

Are you still a Korean National? What is the chance of going to med school there?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Cobragirl:
Just out of curiousity...WHY did you retake a course that you received a "B" in?

Oh, Yeah I was so stupid. I got B-. That minus went me nuts. I really needed to improve my GPA. But I still have a chance to get B+ so hopefully at least it won't hurt my record. But I should've taken higher level course such as medical microbiology course to make it up. Oh well.....

[/QUOTE][/B]Are you still a Korean National? What is the chance of going to med school there?[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm still Korean citizen but has permanent residency who is getting U.S. citizen this year. Korean medical school is a lot different than here. All med schools have 6 yrs B.S./M.D.program and they don't care about extracurricular activities such as clinical experiences or personal statement to get in. All you need is good numbers show how damn smart you are. That's why so many cocky snobby doctors there who just want money and prestiges.
For male doctors, they think they can marry beautiful wife or something...
I wouldn't repect physicians because they are just doctors.

That's why so many cocky snobby doctors there who just want money and prestiges. For male doctors, they think they can marry beautiful wife or something... I wouldn't repect physicians because they are just doctors.

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you; there are many physicians in Korea who qualify as "compassionate" physicians and there are some who decide to pursue a career in medicine primarily because of the financial rewards.

This also holds true for physicians in the United States or any other country.

[This message has been edited by wasabi (edited April 28, 2001).]