The heck with med school(Should I give up?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I need great advices desperately from all of you successful people who have great achievement getting into med school. What would you do if you were me?
I'm 25, who graduated high school in Korea with almost 1.0GPA about 7 years ago. I came to the U.S. and went to 2year college and transferred to decent state school graduated with overall GPA for 4yrs is only 2.8. My major was health related science. Well, yeah I pretty much regret that I was a major party pooper. No one can't imagine how I much I was slacking in school.
Then I turned my life around and got so motivated and interested in medicine.
Well,last year, I retook some of science courses and new other courses total(about 14 credit) and all As but one B- in microorganism. So I decided to retake that microorganism course but this semester, unfortunately I had horrible instructor who DOES NOT curve though average was around 60s. Although I'm retaking same course, my exam average so far is 65. I know... bummer, loser.. so stupid. I studied so hard. I got low 80s on most exams on this same class last semester with different instructor though. Well, it's too late to drop this course. I have one exam and a final which counts as double. I just don't know what to do. Just studying harder won't solve a problem. I can't imagine getting lower than B- in the course I'm retaking!!! There will be NO med school(osteopathic) in the future I'm SOOOO frustrated right now. Only couple of people got A on our class. What kind of human are they? I think they are nuts.
Well, I have almost 300hrs working experience + volunteering at physical therapy and I've been working as a clinical tech for almost a year,have 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo, and 2yrs of teaching experience as a karate instructor when I was in highschool and college. And I'm starting Biotech grad program this fall.
So what shall I do? what if I get C in this course? Should I retake it? 3 times in a roll?? What would med school think? Should I give up going to osteopathic school?
I would really appreciate if you give me any advices.

Frustruated
D.O. wannabe

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up your dreams just because of the possibility of an unsatisfactory grade in one class. I think that osteo schools acept many students who were majoring in party but later were able to show that they had turned the situation around. Also, if you can get a good mcat score that will make up for a lot. I recommend that you check out the median acceptance stats for the osteo schools and do a little research. Then contact the schools that you are most interested in and make an appointment to see an admissions officer at each school. Most are friendly and willing to give you some time and advice as a prospective student. They can give you an idea as to how competitive your app would be now, and what you might do to improve it if necessary. You are premature in being negative without at least having taken the mcat. Take it and see what happens, it also counts for admissions. I have the same rank as you in Taekwondo, and black belts do not give up! Hang in there and good luck!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Challenge:
Hi everyone. I need great advices desperately from all of you successful people who have great achievement getting into med school. What would you do if you were me?
I'm 25, who graduated high school in Korea with almost 1.0GPA about 7 years ago. I came to the U.S. and went to 2year college and transferred to decent state school graduated with overall GPA for 4yrs is only 2.8. My major was health related science. Well, yeah I pretty much regret that I was a major party pooper. No one can't imagine how I much I was slacking in school.
Then I turned my life around and got so motivated and interested in medicine.
Well,last year, I retook some of science courses and new other courses total(about 14 credit) and all As but one B- in microorganism. So I decided to retake that microorganism course but this semester, unfortunately I had horrible instructor who DOES NOT curve though average was around 60s. Although I'm retaking same course, my exam average so far is 65. I know... bummer, loser.. so stupid. I studied so hard. I got low 80s on most exams on this same class last semester with different instructor though. Well, it's too late to drop this course. I have one exam and a final which counts as double. I just don't know what to do. Just studying harder won't solve a problem. I can't imagine getting lower than B- in the course I'm retaking!!! There will be NO med school(osteopathic) in the future I'm SOOOO frustrated right now. Only couple of people got A on our class. What kind of human are they? I think they are nuts.
Well, I have almost 300hrs working experience + volunteering at physical therapy and I've been working as a clinical tech for almost a year,have 4th degree black belt in Taekwondo, and 2yrs of teaching experience as a karate instructor when I was in highschool and college. And I'm starting Biotech grad program this fall.
So what shall I do? what if I get C in this course? Should I retake it? 3 times in a roll?? What would med school think? Should I give up going to osteopathic school?
I would really appreciate if you give me any advices.

Frustruated
D.O. wannabe

Do what you feel is best for your future. If you feel like your wasting your time then do it. Give up. If you want to turn yourself around and give it one final push then go do it. Never give up. You can never study too hard, if you lack the talent then you lack the talent. Compensate through working harder.
Good luck

------------------
"If we were supposed to talk more than we listen, we would have been given one ear and two mouths"
-Mark Twain

Members don't see this ad :)
Challenge,
I could empathize with you, I didn't do too well early in my undergrad career and I had to climb up a big mountain. But it is possible to do it, just depends how much work you want to put into it. Sounds like the desire is there, but you need to figure out what works for you in order to get a good grade in that class you're taking. Remember, it doesn't get any easier in medical school. You're in the same class with people who are top notch from other schools.
but there is hope, I would do that master's program you're planning on. You'll develop the right study skills if you do well. It will be a tough climb, but you can do it if you channel your energy & desire in the right way.

Good luck!
Eric
MSI, WesternU

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Eric714:
Challenge,
I could empathize with you, I didn't do too well early in my undergrad career and I had to climb up a big mountain. But it is possible to do it, just depends how much work you want to put into it. Sounds like the desire is there, but you need to figure out what works for you in order to get a good grade in that class you're taking. Remember, it doesn't get any easier in medical school. You're in the same class with people who are top notch from other schools.
but there is hope, I would do that master's program you're planning on. You'll develop the right study skills if you do well. It will be a tough climb, but you can do it if you channel your energy & desire in the right way.

Good luck!
Eric
MSI, WesternU

Not everyone was top notch in my med school calss. I went to my local school and some students were far from a 3.7 undergrad science gpa.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by JThomas88:
Do what you feel is best for your future. If you feel like you're wasting time then do it. Give up. If you want to turn yourself around and give it one final push then go do it. Never give up. You can never study too hard, if you lack the talent then you lack the talent. Compensate through working harder.
Good luck