the ideal resident surgical skills lab/learning center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rubensan

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from a wii and flat screen TV ;), if you had a big budget and were constucting an all new resident wet lab/learning center what would you want in it? What kinds of things do you wish that you had in your program's surgical skills lab? What equipment are you glad that you have in your program's surgical skills lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Essential items:
- a good surgical scope (an exact copy of the ones in your hospital's ORs if possible) with a teaching side scope
- all the instruments you would need to perform the surgeries you want to practice
- an unlimited supply of human eyebank eyes
- a fellow or attending that is available and interested in spending time with you

Possibly:
- Virtual reality training device

Essential items:
- a good surgical scope (an exact copy of the ones in your hospital's ORs if possible) with a teaching side scope
- all the instruments you would need to perform the surgeries you want to practice
- an unlimited supply of human eyebank eyes
- a fellow or attending that is available and interested in spending time with you

Possibly:
- Virtual reality training device

I would add a phaco machine and a vitrector. Unlimited human eyes would be tough, but having a slaughterhouse nearby works pretty well.

I would disagree with "an exact copy of the surgical scope in your hospital"...
I would want Multiple surgical scopes, with multiple phaco/vitrector machines(old and new) so I could better prepare for any situation.
Unlimited human eyes sure would be nice though!
Also include lots of space so people wouldn't be running into each other, and most importantly...
a mini-fridge for a 6 pack of beer...i mean milk