The image of Saudi Arabia in the world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saudiimage

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The notion of image refers to the perceptions that people from various countries have about the world around them with all its constitutes. This image is a natural outcome of direct and indirect individual experiences which they acquire through different communicative interactions. In its international dimensions, this image becomes particularly important given its influence on the prevailing public opinion in terms of the various elements related to it. Starting from the fundamental relation between the stereotype and the shaping of public opinion, many countries have involved their institutions in investigating the image held about them around the world. The recent international events have made it all the more important to study the conceptual image held by the countries around the world about the Kingdom, the factors contributing to its development and the approached necessary for its improvement.
This is what has prompted the Saudi Association for Media and Communication (SAMC) to devote Second Annual Communication Forum to investigating the conceptual image of the kingdom around the around the world. (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2-5 October. 2004)

www.saudiimage.org
www.samc.org.sa

Members don't see this ad.

ummm...yea. ok well I don't really see how your post is related to anything on this message board but i would like to ask you how a U.S. medical student can arrange an international elective rotation in Saudi Arabia? Are there any hospitals in Jeddah, Medina, or Makkah that accept American medical students to rotate for a few weeks? Just stepping foot into Saudi is difficult...would I require a specific hospital to sponsor me in order to get a visa?

thank you!

saudiimage said:
The notion of image refers to the perceptions that people from various countries have about the world around them with all its constitutes. This image is a natural outcome of direct and indirect individual experiences which they acquire through different communicative interactions. In its international dimensions, this image becomes particularly important given its influence on the prevailing public opinion in terms of the various elements related to it. Starting from the fundamental relation between the stereotype and the shaping of public opinion, many countries have involved their institutions in investigating the image held about them around the world. The recent international events have made it all the more important to study the conceptual image held by the countries around the world about the Kingdom, the factors contributing to its development and the approached necessary for its improvement.
This is what has prompted the Saudi Association for Media and Communication (SAMC) to devote Second Annual Communication Forum to investigating the conceptual image of the kingdom around the around the world. (Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 2-5 October. 2004)

www.saudiimage.org
www.samc.org.sa

MY FIRST AND FOREMOST suggestion, if this country is TRULY wanting to improve its national image is (and this isn't hard to guess) improve the treatment of half of the population (women). Women in Saudi cannot drive, cannot travel without a guardian, must be covered (I know, I know, to protect themselves from the lustful gazes of men....what if...duhh...the men guarded their lustful gazes and take responsbility for their own sexuality), and those things would just be a start. Forget the recent international events like 9/11, being married to a Muslim from outside of Saudi, I can tell you that other MUSLIMS talk about how women in Saudi are treated. It also wouldn't hurt to stop importing domestic help from the Indian subcontinent whom get treated like dogs, and, if Saudi truly insists on being the religious center of the Muslim world, to stop the continuous flow of rich Saudi men over the bridge to Bahrain for nights of illicit fun with booze and other diversions! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
realruby2000 said:
ummm...yea. ok well I don't really see how your post is related to anything on this message board but i would like to ask you how a U.S. medical student can arrange an international elective rotation in Saudi Arabia? Are there any hospitals in Jeddah, Medina, or Makkah that accept American medical students to rotate for a few weeks? Just stepping foot into Saudi is difficult...would I require a specific hospital to sponsor me in order to get a visa?

thank you!

If you are a woman, you DO NOT want to step foot in Saudi. You must stay in a heavily guarded compound. If you step outside without the burqa, you will be harassed and spit on. As a woman, even covered, you would not be welcome in many public places and your treatment of patients would be limited only to the treatment of women.

Kahkeetsee said:
If you are a woman, you DO NOT want to step foot in Saudi. You must stay in a heavily guarded compound. If you step outside without the burqa, you will be harassed and spit on. As a woman, even covered, you would not be welcome in many public places and your treatment of patients would be limited only to the treatment of women.

Woah, I didn't expect to run into a nazi feminist!! I have stepped foot in Saudi Arabia and have spent some time there, and I honestly think you are exaggerating if not fabricating most of what you said.

however if anyone else has info on how to arrange elective rotations there (who to contact etc.) please let PM me!

Kahkeetsee said:

dude please you dont know what u are talking about

A) its an abaya
b) my mom doesnt cover her hair there she just wears an abaya so they wont bother her or stair
c) ive seen american ladies pull off a t shirt in the mall with jeans but this is in the eastern province
d) its their culture to each their own, is it messed up yes but who am i too judge their bedoiun traditions

Kahkeetsee said:
MY FIRST AND FOREMOST suggestion, if this country is TRULY wanting to improve its national image is (and this isn't hard to guess) improve the treatment of half of the population (women). Women in Saudi cannot drive, cannot travel without a guardian, must be covered (I know, I know, to protect themselves from the lustful gazes of men....what if...duhh...the men guarded their lustful gazes and take responsbility for their own sexuality), and those things would just be a start. Forget the recent international events like 9/11, being married to a Muslim from outside of Saudi, I can tell you that other MUSLIMS talk about how women in Saudi are treated. It also wouldn't hurt to stop importing domestic help from the Indian subcontinent whom get treated like dogs, and, if Saudi truly insists on being the religious center of the Muslim world, to stop the continuous flow of rich Saudi men over the bridge to Bahrain for nights of illicit fun with booze and other diversions! :mad:

BAHRAIN is AWESOOOOOOOOME

I hate people going there, they're just "BAD" people!
They're even poor, really make you feel sorry for them,
the most important thing they think of is how to have fun,
regardless of what it can result in.

""I hate people going there, they're just "BAD" people!
They're even poor, really make you feel sorry for them,
the most important thing they think of is how to have fun,
regardless of what it can result in.""

ACTULLY .... I didn't anderstand what you mean ??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

but what i really know from my own experiance as a saudi gurl & as a medic :p :p ....... saudi arabia is a fast developing country....... women are taking there rights ....but they need to make a dicussion about da transport >>>>> they must drive cars ....specially female doctors... :cool: ??

ciao :D