the impact (if any) on future job projects by going to a new EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyboy2888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hoping some of the seasoned residents/program directors here can help me out

i was more than a little bummed out when i failed to match EM at my dream program and instead fell several spots to a new program. program has high volume/acuity with an university affiliation. i'm scared going into it because as there haven't been any graduating classes yet, i don't know how well the graduates will do in terms of job placement or fellowships.

i think right now im looking to just finish and start practicing, without doing a fellowship. i'm from southern california originally and i'd like to go back and practice so i can be close to family and friends.

what sort of impact will graduating from this new program have on the chances of securing a good job in the area where there are several other high powered programs (usc, harbor, etc.)?

any advice is appreciated, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1) You matched. No need to be bummed...100s of ppl hoping for an EM spot, didnt match.
2) Youll be able to find a job almost anywhere for the near forseeable future (maybe not denver and maybe not Hawaii)

I promise you will have a ton of opportunities you wouldn't have at an established program. There have been some good threads about this in the past. Can't say about jobs since I'm also at a new program and only a second year but the advice I've gotten from others is that it's more about what you do. If getting back to LA is your thing then get involved in organizations, develop a niche, network.

Members don't see this ad :)
New program graduate here; nobody cares where you went to residency out there in the community market. I got my "dream job" as a member of the "flagship" class from my residency.

So.Cal is a hard market to break into no matter where you're from, and no matter where you trained.

Also, be prepared to work for peanuts, as pay in so.cal is pathetic.

hoping some of the seasoned residents/program directors here can help me out

i was more than a little bummed out when i failed to match EM at my dream program and instead fell several spots to a new program. program has high volume/acuity with an university affiliation. i'm scared going into it because as there haven't been any graduating classes yet, i don't know how well the graduates will do in terms of job placement or fellowships.

i think right now im looking to just finish and start practicing, without doing a fellowship. i'm from southern california originally and i'd like to go back and practice so i can be close to family and friends.

what sort of impact will graduating from this new program have on the chances of securing a good job in the area where there are several other high powered programs (usc, harbor, etc.)?

any advice is appreciated, thanks

why did you apply to and rank this program?
just wondering since it doesnt seem like the best fit for you, maybe???

Because not ranking it and not matching anywhere is waaay worse.

yep, precisely. several of my classmates didn't match into EM too so i'm blessed, even though its not my top choice. oh well, guess ill just make the most out of it and try to make as many connections as i can the next 3 years

Don't sweat it. You'll be fine. Focus on being the best doc/resident you can be. Things will work out for you. Many tough market areas initially require piecing together a few part-time jobs until something full-time opens up.

I think job wise (as someone who has been involved in hiring), what matters more than any other thing, is your performance in residency. Surely it helps if I know someone who trained you, or if we hired someone who could personally vouch for you but more than anything your performance in residency is what matters most.

Be happy you matched. EM is very competetive. Now go kick some butt.

1) You matched. No need to be bummed...100s of ppl hoping for an EM spot, didnt match.
2) Youll be able to find a job almost anywhere for the near forseeable future (maybe not denver and maybe not Hawaii)

There are jobs in Hawai'i, but the ones available are crap - absolutely horrible for one reason or another, but a large part is that the pay, for the cost of living, is possibly the worst in the country. Now, on top of pay, add a sweatshop atmosphere to that, or oppressively religious (not Catholic, not Jewish, and not one with which you are likely to be aware), or just rural (like, $80/hr, because you see 8 patients a day, or $85/hr for 15 patients in 24 hours). Barbara Katz doesn't give you the details.

However, if the Hawai'i Medical Board gives you a license, you can get an EM job today - but, like the woman you might be able to pick up right this second, you might, within one minute to 1 night later, wish you had not done it.

I think job wise (as someone who has been involved in hiring), what matters more than any other thing, is your performance in residency. Surely it helps if I know someone who trained you, or if we hired someone who could personally vouch for you but more than anything your performance in residency is what matters most.

Be happy you matched. EM is very competetive. Now go kick some butt.

What do you use to assess performance in residency?

Nothing to be bummed about. I actually ranked my current program high because they were newer. There are several perks to being at a newer program which you can find on here on one thread or another.

In regards to jobs... Trust me, people will be coming out of the woodwork trying to give you jobs, good jobs. If you end up liking your shop, you will likely have a better chance of staying on as faculty. We are only graduating our second class, but so far we have 4 grads get quality Fellowships, 6 landed nice community gigs, 1 is going Military, and 5 of us are in Academics (most at our place of training, but some at other very high quality residencies.) Of those staying, one is using his previous experience and creating an International EM Fellowship. A few others are currently vying for the assistant Program Director spot. Getting a spot at a new program is most definitely not a hindrance, so no need to worry.

you can get an EM job today - but, like the woman you might be able to pick up right this second, you might, within one minute to 1 night later, wish you had not done it.

This is one of the wisest things ever typed.

Sent from my A110 using Tapatalk 2

I graduated in the first class of my program in 2006. I had no problems getting jobs, and I went to a tough market (DC). Granted, the jobs are similar to what Apollyon is referring to.... pay isn't good, work environment sucks, whatever. I wanted to go back to DC because I was from there. Anyways, I didn't have a problem. Of the 6 people in my graduating class, all of us are working at exactly where we want to be six years later.

Don't let it bother you, and enjoy the fact that you are in the charter class of your program! It really was fun being in the first class. Take lots of pics too, cause things will change in the three years your'e there. IMagine ground rounds with just 3-4 of you around a table. FUN!
Q

I matched a newish program graduating their second class and couldn't be more excited. Look at the positives of your program and the unique opportunity to shape it for the future. I ranked several established programs much lower - they have established ways and could stifle someone. Like people have said - the market is wide open, and years later, if you have helped shape a successful program, that in and of itself is a resume builder. Look on the bright side of it all :)

What do you use to assess performance in residency?

We talk with PDs and since our group is large we try to talk to people within that residency where there is a personal relationship. We also require a letter from a nurse.

We call all references and use any channel we can to vet people.

We talk with PDs and since our group is large we try to talk to people within that residency where there is a personal relationship. We also require a letter from a nurse.

We call all references and use any channel we can to vet people.

I think its kind of funny that a letter from a nurse is valued so highly. As if, a singular letter from a random nurse, speaks volumes about how fantastic/horrible your interpersonal skills, etc. are.

Now, please begin onslaught of posts stating how valuable this silly letter is....

I graduated in the first class of my program in 2006. I had no problems getting jobs, and I went to a tough market (DC). Granted, the jobs are similar to what Apollyon is referring to.... pay isn't good, work environment sucks, whatever. I wanted to go back to DC because I was from there. Anyways, I didn't have a problem. Of the 6 people in my graduating class, all of us are working at exactly where we want to be six years later.

Don't let it bother you, and enjoy the fact that you are in the charter class of your program! It really was fun being in the first class. Take lots of pics too, cause things will change in the three years your'e there. IMagine ground rounds with just 3-4 of you around a table. FUN!
Q

It's a Quinn sighting.

I think its kind of funny that a letter from a nurse is valued so highly. As if, a singular letter from a random nurse, speaks volumes about how fantastic/horrible your interpersonal skills, etc. are.

Now, please begin onslaught of posts stating how valuable this silly letter is....

"They" asked for a nurse-letter during my application process, too.

It's more that if you're a terrible person, you're unlikely to get one singular letter from a nurse. They band together. Some may like you, some may not, but if you're impossible to work with, they'll band together and write it in a letter.

It's more that if you're a terrible person, you're unlikely to get one singular letter from a nurse. They band together. Some may like you, some may not, but if you're impossible to work with, they'll band together and write it in a letter.

Sure, if you're THAT bad, that's fine...I guess you kind of get whats coming to you.

Now, if only Doctors could band together...sigh...

I'd say that at some new programs you'd have a leg up if you want to stay in that area. Like if anyone at the new Seattle program wants to stay in Seattle, they are the only residents in town and probably have an inside track on hearing about new jobs, meeting local attendings etc.

Also it's something I'd bring up with the program director when you get there. Most PDs are great if you say "I really want to end up in city X, how do I get there?" Especially if you can do this early in your residency rather than in the summer of your final year. So maybe using some elective time to do a rotation in the city you want to go to. Or going to a conference your second year in that city to make some connections.