The Impact of Medical School Disciplinary Actions on Match and Later Careers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fionary

Reaction score
If someone cheated in medical school and got punished, how would that affect his match and career later on?

In another situation, if a person is punished by the school many years after graduation, how will this affect his career? (The penalties discussed here do not include expulsion, more likely warnings, etc., but will appear in student records)

Is it possible for schools to penalize students years after they graduate?

Does changing country and school re-enrollment help erase records?

What if someone reported to the Professor, and the Professor decided to cover it? Will it be exposed after years and still with punishment?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you cheat, that greatly will limit your chances of matching to competitive specialties and programs. Assuming you do match and complete a residency I doubt it would affect much, though you might have to answer a question when you’re applying for a medical license.

I have no idea what you’re asking about in regards to getting punished many years after graduation. I suppose anything is possible, but schools aren’t randomly reviewing tests from 10 years ago looking for cheaters they missed once upon a time.

I also don’t know what you’re asking about changing schools and re-enrollment, but suffice to say that if you drop out of school because you cheated you’re going to have to disclose that when you try to apply again, and that’s likely the end of your application. If you mean trying to go to the Caribbean you would still need to submit your old med school transcript, and that would be a bright red flag on an ERAS application and likely kill your app.

As with most of these kinds of threads we are missing a lot of details here that would help us actually answer your real underlying question.

Reactions: 6 users
Yeah as above the main issue would be residency matching. Such a red flag would probably make you DOA for any competitive field or any highly desired program in less competitive fields. Depending on the details and the rest of the application, it could lead to going unmatched entirely. If you’re still in school, best bet is contrition and being a model student for the rest of the time and beg for mercy.

As for later career probably not a problem especially if you already got caught and punished. It would have to be something especially heinous such that they would revoke your degree and that could cost you a license later, but I can’t imagine what would be so bad and worth the inevitable legal actions. Theoretically it’s possible though. It would have to be something like discovering some massive cheating where you cheated through all your exams and they had solid proof.

In reality it just means additional paperwork for licensure if you have to disclose it. You tell the story, express regret, and point to your squeaky clean record for years and years.

Reactions: 1 users