The importance of being a good worker at your crappy job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gollum1985

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to be accepted into medical school in October. I immediately began looking at options to pay for the cost of going to school. I decided the best option for me would be to pursue the Air Force HPSP. So I applied for it.

Meanwhile, I was working two jobs which were at a gym and warehouse to pay for the application process. The warehouse involved moving 300 pound furniture by hand. So it was not a fun job, but I stuck with it and was awarded employee of the month.

I ended up receiving the Air Force HPSP. However, the FBI needed to run an extensive background check on me. This included asking both my jobs if I was a good worker or not. I know most of you Pre-meds are working at jobs that you either think are beneath you or just plain boring. It's important to put your best effort into these jobs, because it's a small world. Your manager at Jimmy Johns could have an older brother who ends up being the PD of the residency you want. You just never know.

Members don't see this ad.