The Importance of Honoring the Third Year Clerkship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vir0n

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all the residents, what do you guys think? Is all hope lost for me because I didn't honor my IM clerkship?

vir0n

Members don't see this ad.

the answer is not hopeless at all. unless you wanted to get into the absolutely top programs and have nothing else in your records/application to counter it

the answer is not hopeless at all. unless you wanted to get into the absolutely top programs and have nothing else in your records/application to counter it

Top programs being Penn, MGH, JH, WashU, etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
well, i can't give you a definite answer, i'm just starting as an intern, best persons to ask are your advisors. but whatever ppl tell you, just apply to wherever you want. the only things you will lose is a little bit of money for the fee and not getting an interview

For all the residents, what do you guys think? Is all hope lost for me because I didn't honor my IM clerkship?

vir0n

i didnt honor my IM clerkship... i screwed up on the osce. in the end didnt matter much. not one of my interviewers mentioned it and i matched at a great place. so. dont worry too much.

vir0n

I'd suggest giving up medicine entirely, I mean I guess you could do FP, but even then you'd be lucky.

Do your best and you will match at a good IM program. If you are dead set on going to one of the programs you mentioned like Penn, JHU, MGH, UCSF, then you should probably get in contact with them and do an audition rotation. Not honoring IM will have some negative effect on matching at those places, but letting them get to know you on an away rotation can help make up for that. But you will still match at a great program if the rest of your application is good, as there are many more great programs than those "top 5-10".

Do your best and you will match at a good IM program. If you are dead set on going to one of the programs you mentioned like Penn, JHU, MGH, UCSF, then you should probably get in contact with them and do an audition rotation. Not honoring IM will have some negative effect on matching at those places, but letting them get to know you on an away rotation can help make up for that. But you will still match at a great program if the rest of your application is good, as there are many more great programs than those "top 5-10".

top 5 places don't give a **** if you want to go there, everyone does, or at least enough people do that it doesn't matter what one person thinks

doing an audition rotation is probably a bad idea

IMO, one of the most overlooked factors in getting into a top IM residency is what med school you are coming from. So the concern of not honoring your IM rotation is relative. A decent applicant from Harvard has a better chance at a top residency than a stellar student from an average school.

Of course there are exceptions to everything, but the 4 things that are overwhelming important to top academic places are (in no order): Med school, board scores, research, AOA................then...............rotation performance, letters of rec, etc.

Don't worry too much though. If you are a solid applicant you will get interviews to plenty of places, and you will see during the interview process that there are lots of great IM residencies out there.

Sorry to piggy-back ... figured I'd ask here rather than creating a new thread ...

What are the tiers to consider if one was a DO student with average COMLEX level 1 score? Say goodbye to University-based programs or are they still fair game? I made an 88 and a 95 on my 2 months of IM (one of hospitalist, the other ambulatory). I ask, because I'm a 4th year and I'm trying to consider other options. I love anesthesiology and thought I couldn't do anything else. However, in addition to considering neurology, I was looking through ERAS and I noticed that they have recently accredited Genetics as an option. I'm really interested in it (have been since HS, but didn't think it was an option for residency so I never really pursued research in that ... actually, it was in a surgical field (initially was into surgery but changed my mind)). Anyways, I noticed most, if not all, the Med-Gen and Peds-Gen were University-based. Does anyone know the level of competition and what is needed for these programs? I know that a lot of them say when you apply for the actual IM (or peds) residency, then be sure to also mention you are interested in the Genetics track as well. I wouldn't mind spending 5 years doing that if it meant I could see a unique population of individuals, do research, therapeutics, etc. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

Sorry to piggy-back ... figured I'd ask here rather than creating a new thread ...

What are the tiers to consider if one was a DO student with average COMLEX level 1 score? Say goodbye to University-based programs or are they still fair game? I made an 88 and a 95 on my 2 months of IM (one of hospitalist, the other ambulatory). I ask, because I'm a 4th year and I'm trying to consider other options. I love anesthesiology and thought I couldn't do anything else. However, in addition to considering neurology, I was looking through ERAS and I noticed that they have recently accredited Genetics as an option. I'm really interested in it (have been since HS, but didn't think it was an option for residency so I never really pursued research in that ... actually, it was in a surgical field (initially was into surgery but changed my mind)). Anyways, I noticed most, if not all, the Med-Gen and Peds-Gen were University-based. Does anyone know the level of competition and what is needed for these programs? I know that a lot of them say when you apply for the actual IM (or peds) residency, then be sure to also mention you are interested in the Genetics track as well. I wouldn't mind spending 5 years doing that if it meant I could see a unique population of individuals, do research, therapeutics, etc. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks!

No I think university based programs are definitely fair game. I interviewed at plenty of university programs that had DO residents. Obviously I have no idea how they performed on COMLEX. Probably not at a top 25 research residency program unless you are a true superstar, but I don't think mid-tier university programs are out of the question, just apply broadly and see where you get interviews.

No I think university based programs are definitely fair game. I interviewed at plenty of university programs that had DO residents. Obviously I have no idea how they performed on COMLEX. Probably not at a top 25 research residency program unless you are a true superstar, but I don't think mid-tier university programs are out of the question, just apply broadly and see where you get interviews.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not looking at the Harvards/Yales/UCSFs, JHU/WashU's ... but, approximately what programs are considered "mid-tier"? Is UConn an example of "mid-tier"?

If an IM program has osteopathic residents in it, it is probably mid-tier. The top programs are the ones that have their pick of the best IM applicants from MD programs and don't need to interview DO students.

In NY, any IM program that isn't Mount Sinai, NY Hospital, Columbia-Presbyterian, NYU, or Montefiore could be considered a mid- to lower tier program.

If an IM program has osteopathic residents in it, it is probably mid-tier. The top programs are the ones that have their pick of the best IM applicants from MD programs and don't need to interview DO students.

In NY, any IM program that isn't Mount Sinai, NY Hospital, Columbia-Presbyterian, NYU, or Montefiore could be considered a mid- to lower tier program.

Thanks

Every honors you get helps. Also get a letter if you get honors