The importance of numbers post-interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golfdoc8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew how important numbers are once you have had your interview. The reason I ask is because I recently interviewed at NYU and I am afraid I won't get in because I have an EXTREMELY low verbal score. Will they mostly focus on my interview and LOR or will my MCAT still play a large role in their decision? Do I have a chance to get in with such a low number? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Well they were interested enough to interview you. They may overlook it if other areas of your application are good or if English is your second language. At this point it is a waiting game (and a crap shoot). We all can speculate but only you will know for sure when you get an acceptance or otherwise. Until then try not to fret to badly. Best of Luck -- CB

golfdoc8 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew how important numbers are once you have had your interview. The reason I ask is because I recently interviewed at NYU and I am afraid I won't get in because I have an EXTREMELY low verbal score. Will they mostly focus on my interview and LOR or will my MCAT still play a large role in their decision? Do I have a chance to get in with such a low number? Thanks for your help.

#'s are impt regardless of what stage of the app process you're in.

everything (interview(s), lor's, #'s, etc) plays a role in the post-interview decision of an applicant. the interview is just one part--although an impt part--of that decision.

fortunately or unfortunately, your mcat will still play a significant role at the post-interview stage.

Members don't see this ad :)
alumafly said:
#'s are impt regardless of what stage of the app process you're in.

everything (interview(s), lor's, #'s, etc) plays a role in the post-interview decision of an applicant. the interview is just one part--although an impt part--of that decision.

fortunately or unfortunately, your mcat will still play a significant role at the post-interview stage.

I second that. At one of the interviews I attended, someone on the admissions committee admitted that the interview counted for 25% of the final decision, the MCAT 25%, GPA 25%, and extracurriculars/recs, etc 25%. Obviously this will vary from school to school. However, I think it's safe to say that although the interviewer's evaluation of you is an important part of the selection process, a final decision regarding admission will be based on a review of your entire app.

In general, numbers are still important after the interview. There are exceptions, though (for example, OHSU puts 80% weight on the interview).