The importance of volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwhilk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to ask a quick question please: How important is volunteering to work at a hospital or at a clinic or someplace similar in the admissions process at Australian medical schools?

I'm from the US and realize extracurriculars are super important here. And as I understand it, Australian medical schools look primarily at GPA + MCAT (or GAMSAT) + Interview, placing various weight on each depending on the particular school.

But in general, I was wondering how working at a hospital is considered by Australian med school admissions committees? Obviously it's good to do regardless just so one can have experience and know what we're getting into, etc. But what do Australian medical schools think of volunteer work at hospitals otherwise? Is it considered in the admissions process or not at all?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

It obviously helps. They ascertain what you know about the medical system, and you can draw a lot of your responses from your experiences inside the walls of a hospital.

They want to know you've thought it through, and particularly realise it's not all glitz and glam that some applicants expect it will be.

They will ask you about experiences with doctors and other health professionals and if you just talk from a patient's POV or how your GP is so great it sounds extremely cliche'd.

However it's not essential, but it makes your interview far more difficult if you don't IMO.

From what I understand it is absolutely mandatory in the US. Here in Aus not so much. What is more important is to be able to convey that you know about the profession and what to expect, that you are going in with a good and reasonable expectation about what it is like to work in that environment and so forth.

It is much harder here to do the kind of volunteer work that is done in the US, mostly because it is not needed to the same extent. That being said, there are opportunities, but you may need to look outside hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point Craig. There aren't that many volunteer jobs on offer at hospitals anyway. Whatsmore, I think it seems a little opportunistic to be doing volunteer work in a hospital some months prior to a medical interview.

On the other hand aged care facilities like nursing homes, community restaurants, meals on wheels etc have a desperate shortage of volunteer workers, and I think working in an area that services the needs of people outside hospital walls reflects well during an interview.

which uni do you want to get into

there are some that accept virtually anyone. i mean all you have to do is pass.

the volunteer work that is available in Australia is just "making people feel ok" kind of stuff

there is a high demand for places for final years, especially since grad med

for that reason i went overseas, to get MORE and BETTER experience, in my uni holidays. it was awesome. I am 3rd yr med.

i have heard of students in the UK (who want to get into med) doing some interesting work experience

Just went to med school in Oz and I know, it DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU VOLUNTEER!!! No Aussis med student has, I swear!!! I told them that in the US it is mndatory and they all laugh!!! All you need is good marks, good scores and be intelligent in the interviews. You don't need to save the world, cure aids or even have letters of recommendation.

most places cut out the BS, like Aus, but in the US....there is so much bs....soo soooo much.

most places cut out the BS, like Aus, but in the US....there is so much bs....soo soooo much.

The principle behind doing volunteer work is sound but in practice it becomes a race to see who can get the best CV.

It is in everyone's best interests, the patients and the future doctors, to have applicants who know why they really want to do medicine and to have people who are well-rounded.

Whether this can be measured in your application is a different argument.

A solid academic background is the thing that's going to get you in not loads of volunteer work. Anybody can volunteer.

The principle behind doing volunteer work is sound but in practice it becomes a race to see who can get the best CV.

It is in everyone's best interests, the patients and the future doctors, to have applicants who know why they really want to do medicine and to have people who are well-rounded.

Whether this can be measured in your application is a different argument.

pretty much all the volunteer jargon done in the US is done for the sake of doing it, they dont even give it crap. I completely agree that if poeple genuinly did the things they did, then it would serve a much better purpose.

By the way, Coon cheese is named after Edward William Coon.

LOL. Well that makes way more sense! I'm still casually learning to be an Australian. A girl gave me a tiny jar of Vegemite as a gift a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it's the best thing that's ever happened to Australia.

LOL. Well that makes way more sense! I'm still casually learning to be an Australian. A girl gave me a tiny jar of Vegemite as a gift a couple of weeks ago. Apparently it's the best thing that's ever happened to Australia.

now tell me, do you like vegemite? lol do you put it on your toast in the morning..haha

Yeah I spread it on everything.... steak, chicken, fish, carrots... just kidding. I haven't even touched it since. It's still in my fridge... fermenting. I'm not very fond of the yeast smell to be honest with you.

Yeah I spread it on everything.... steak, chicken, fish, carrots... just kidding. I haven't even touched it since. It's still in my fridge... fermenting. I'm not very fond of the yeast smell to be honest with you.

You don't like beer either? haha

I think it's an acquired taste.... you're not supposed to use heaps of it.

You don't like beer either? haha

I think it's an acquired taste.... you're not supposed to use heaps of it.

I can't believe you just said "heaps" LOL. Just don't start saying "reckon" and you'll be fine.

Anyway, just to reiterate the point, volunteering is not a big deal here in Australia like it is in the US or Canada.

I can't believe you just said "heaps" LOL. Just don't start saying "reckon" and you'll be fine.

Anyway, just to reiterate the point, volunteering is not a big deal here in Australia like it is in the US or Canada.

I reckon you have to incorporate words like 'footpath' and 'walking stick' in history taking to be understood.

Volunteering isn't as important because they haven't come up with complicated ways to delineate the admission process yet.