The infamous post-MCAT month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think/know the AAMC does during this time that they need a month to release scores?

I have heard they conduct investigations and normalizations. Do you think they actually need all that time? Or is it a buffer just in case?

Members don't see this ad.

Massive orgies and hard drugs.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you think/know the AAMC does during this time that they need a month to release scores?

I have heard they conduct investigations and normalizations. Do you think they actually need all that time? Or is it a buffer just in case?

I highly doubt they do anything. All the of the normalizations or whatever they do, if they even do it, must be done on the computer, and it is probably done instantly. No reason it can't be done in a day. They probably just sit on it to make people comfortable with their scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I prefer to not think about it, because the more I do, the more I realize how unnecessary and truly annoying it is. it must be a money-making tactic, there's no other explanation.

a month to look at video and make sure no one cheated, on top of the airport security on test day? I doubt it.

I prefer to not think about it, because the more I do, the more I realize how unnecessary and truly annoying it is. it must be a money-making tactic, there's no other explanation.

a month to look at video and make sure no one cheated, on top of the airport security on test day? I doubt it.

Yeah, and even if they have to review the videos, they could just let you know your score and not release it to schools for a month while they review the videos.

Reactions: 1 user

Are all the test-takers (i.e. non mcat like GRE/LSAT etc) at the prometric center subject to the same level of scrutiny?

I know that one nice thing about the GRE is they at least gave you an UNSCALED score...I don't get why they cannot do that.

Are all the test-takers (i.e. non mcat like GRE/LSAT etc) at the prometric center subject to the same level of scrutiny?

I know that one nice thing about the GRE is they at least gave you an UNSCALED score...I don't get why they cannot do that.

When I took my GRE I got my scores instantly. And then I got the official report which was the same score. But I took the old GRE so maybe it has changed.

I would think that you could at least get an unoffical score right after the exam. Its impossible to plan for anything when you don't have a score and waiting an entire month for your score after months of prep reallllly sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
I would think that you could at least get an unoffical score right after the exam. Its impossible to plan for anything when you don't have a score and waiting an entire month for your score after months of prep reallllly sucks.

This.

By making you wait a month without knowing your score you become increasingly uncomfortable and schedule a retake, which locks you into $300 basically. They make A LOT more money by holding the scores for a month.

I don't know if I subscribe to the AAMC conspiracy... They have not given any reason for me to believe they would behave unethically.

IDK why they have us wait a month to get your results... it's annoying and nerve-racking.

But, I think the reason why we don't get a raw/un-scaled score on the same day is because the software that they give the testing people doesn't have the actual answers to the test. I think the program just records our answer choices and they are later sent to the AAMC where they match our choices with the correct answers at their evil headquarters (no offence?). It seems that they want to be really secretive and secure about everything and if they do it that way they can avoid somebody bugging the system or something.

I don't know if I subscribe to the AAMC conspiracy... They have not given any reason for me to believe they would behave unethically.

they haven't given me any reason to believe they don't...

lol nah but to be honest, in my opinion, I don't think they could actually get away with it if there wasn't some legitimate reason for the wait. just bc we don't know what it is exactly doesn't mean there isn't a good reason. either way it's all a part of the game, not going to change anytime soon.

Well played sir

pSYNDGP.gif

Reactions: 1 user