The infamous "Where do you see yourself in ten years" secondary question.

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
A lot of secondaries have the question, "Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it in ten years." What if you are applying to a school that is very committed to primary care, but you don't really see yourself as a primary care physician? Would I be shooting myself in the foot if I said, "I don't think primary care is for me, but I think that I have a lot to offer to such-and-such field"? What do you think?

Mutterkuchen

15+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2001
Omaha
Visit site
Status
I am applying this year as well and have thought about this, since my state school is very primary care focused. I think that it will be a big negative to say anything like "I don't think primary care is for me, but I think that I have a lot to offer to such-and-such field." I am going to find a way to finesse a more PC answer to such a question without being untruthful. When in Rome. . . to do otherwise is shooting yourself in the foot.

CaNEM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2002
Status
I heard a rumor that it does not look good to answer this question by saying "Ill be applying to medical school for the 11th time, still trying to get in." I can't verify it's true though.

About the Ads

vyc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2002
Chicago
Status
i agree with JBJ.
it's not such a great idea to tell a primary-care focused school that you're not interested in primary care.

OP
W

Wahoo07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
Status
Thanks for your responses! It's pretty much what I suspected. :rolleyes: Time to be creative, I guess. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

DarkChild

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Status
if you have to fudge the truth - do so, just do so credibly. i think the point is to get in - regardless of how you do it. if they want me to jump around on one foot while singing skip to my lou - I'll do it. as i see it, its whatever it takes.
but like I said make it credible - for instance, if you dont really think you want to do primary care, talk about how you're interested in research but you've always been attracted to the patient interaction and blah blah blah that primary care provides - so medical school especially at blah blah blah which has provides both significant exposure to research and as well as primary care would be an ideal place to begin a career. :D

vyc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 20, 2002
Chicago
Status
the more important question is why you're applying to this school in the first place.
don't waste your time nor money if you don't think they have what you need.

souljah1

Attending
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
I think that this question is posed mainly to determine whether you see your self as a leader or as a follower. I think that, whatever you decide to answer, it should present yourself as someone who is looking to lead. Medical schools want alumni who can accomplish great things and carry the medical school name with them. Realistically, ten years from now most of us will be finishing residencies, fellowships, or will be recent attendings. However, in ten years you could also be well on your way to succesfully...blah blah.

Also, don't be afraid to speak of your life outside of medicine. They want commitment, but they also want to know that you will be seeking fulfillment through other aspects of your life such as travel, family, hobbies, etc.

Anyway, one of my mentors clued me in on the leader/follow approach and it helped me quite a bit.

In ten years from now I will be laying on my hands and healing the sick, raising the dead, and selling presciptions for pain killers to high school kids. ;)

Doctor Octopus

Hospitalist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
"Picksburgh"
Idonthaveone
Status
Resident [Any Field]
1. I see myself catering to the vanity of young starlets and people who refuse to age gracefully by augmenting breasts and erasing wrinkles and "flabbies."

2. I see myself helping to improve the lives of thousands of people born with a severe valium deficiency.

Cydney Foote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
www.accepted.com
Status
Originally posted by vyc
the more important question is why you're applying to this school in the first place.
don't waste your time nor money if you don't think they have what you need.
This was my first thought too! If you are interested in the school despite its primary care focus, then try to identify the factors that you like about it. Chances are some of those will jog your thoughts about where an MD from that school will take you. But definitely don't come out and say that you're not interested in primary care.

oldman

Senior Citizen
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Hospital
Status
Attending Physician
Ha, so the AMCAS removed that essay and schools put it on their secondary? :laugh:

FutureM.D.

Psychology major
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2002
Florida,USA
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Doctor Octopus
1. I see myself catering to the vanity of young starlets and people who refuse to age gracefully by augmenting breasts and erasing wrinkles and "flabbies."

2. I see myself helping to improve the lives of thousands of people born with a severe valium deficiency.

THAT'S FUNNY!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bikini Princess

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 26, 2002
Visit site
Status
Originally posted by Cydney Foote

But definitely don't come out and say that you're not interested in primary care.
tsk, tsk..If you state you're interested in a primary care field in your 2ndary, you will be asked about it in your interview. It's no good saying you're interested in pc and then saying in your interview, "well...actually i'm not interested in pc, really". You can't answer their question with enthusiasm if you honestly want to go into derm, so it's best to be honest. Show enthuisasm for their programs; yes. But don't feign an interest if you can't back it up.

Cydney Foote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 6, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
www.accepted.com
Status
Originally posted by Bikini Princess

It's no good saying you're interested in pc and then saying in your interview, "well...actually i'm not interested in pc, really".
That's exactly what I was saying -- don't feign an interest you don't have, but if there are other aspects about the program that do interest you, write about them instead. The important thing is to tie in your personal goals with what the individual school has to offer. Otherwise, why even apply to a p.c. school if you just want to do derm?

About the Ads