The Inflammatory Nature of Recent Threads...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by MRF1366, Jul 1, 2000.

1. MRF1366

MRF1366 Been Here Long Time

Hi, I've been reading all of your recent MD/DO debates, and decided it was finally time to chime in with an observation. I should start by saying that I have COMPLETE respect for DO's and the traning they receive.

So here it is: I was accepted at both MD and DO schools. Two months ago I chose MD. Why did I do that? The main reason is because of the emotions, beliefs, perpetuated stereotypes, direspect and inflammatory comments demonstrated in the recent threads on SDN.

The fact that battles like this exist is sad. I personally decided to avoid any unneeded stress, so I chose to go MD.

I'm interested in any thoughts on this.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Future DOc

Future DOc Senior Member

Nothing personal, but that is a poor way to make such a decision. If you chose the MD route, it would be legit if it's b/c of family or financial reasons....not b/c of certain individuals that YOU don't even know personally said otherwise.

I too was accepted into both programs & currently I am 3rd year medical student. Keep in mind that most of those people talking on those forums are either just PRE-MEDS, unsure INCOMING 1st years, or even IMGs. Most who are still very ignorant on what really goes on out in the REAL WORLD of medicine.

From my current experiences, I have yet to see actual medical students, interns, residents, or practicing physicians relay the same opinions. In fact, most of them that I have encountered are MDs & they have never said otherwise.

Remember, each world whether it's pre-med or actual medical students, or residents is VERY different when it comes to perspectives compared to pre-meds, incoming students or IMGs & ONLY the world you are currently experiencing will formulate your opinions.

So, be careful which posts you trust in making YOUR life decisions b/c it truly depends on who is speaking or writing that warrents validity.

An opinion of someone is good to hear, but it also depends on HOW INFORMED one is to make a valid opinion. Take each post with a grain of salt, but look at each more more for entertainment value until otherwise. I always do... Good luck!! [​IMG]

Rob
    MS III

[This message has been edited by Future DOc (edited 07-01-2000).]

4. UHS2002

UHS2002 Senior Member

Oh nooooooo, Royce never dies, he just reincarnates!

5. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member

Really? Too bad. At least in KC, DO's and MD students work side by side and study in the same libraries and coffee shops. I mean, we all study medicine! There are people in my class married to MD students!

The fights you see on this page are pretty silly, and are essentially fiction. To base a major decision on what you see on a chat page is REALLY ODD. Too bad.
    I tend to base my decisions on real life experiences, not the internet.

But that is just me.

Best wishes.
    e

6. Pikevillemedstudent

Pikevillemedstudent Bengals Fan

Attending Physician
    Perhaps these silly battles do something for the osteopathic profession, and that is to eliminate those pre-meds that would not feel comfortable being a DO and having to deal with the ignorance of others. Also, am I the only one who realizes that these debates shouldn't be taken so seriously? HELLO!! This is the frickin' internet. You don't make major decisions by researching through the internet only. Some of the things discussed may or may not be valid. Go out and find out for yourself. Don't use this site as your only resource! I know I would not want a student sitting next to me in class who is ignorant enough to go about this way of decision making.

I admit that wheatfarmer and royce act immature, but in reality they are probably very mature and nice. Wake up people!

7. MRF1366

MRF1366 Been Here Long Time

Hey, just got back from the bar and I wanted to clairify my comments from earlier. I guess I didn't make myself very clear. This message board was NOT involved in my decision making (which I believe I stated was 2 months ago, long before I knew of SDN's existence). I did a ton of research into ostropathic med before my interview at a DO school, and my subsequent decision to go the MD route. And I will repeat that I have TOTAL respect for the DO degree.

The point I was trying to make was that the fact that people have such crazy ideas about Osteopathic medicine is what turned me off to pursuing it. The fact that there are people out there like Royce (and no I am NOT his "reincarnation"), is enough to make me run the other way. Maybe that means I don't have the (insert testicular reference here) to be a DO. More specifically, it means I don't want to spend my life defending what I am. And I know that I would have to as a DO, because this Royce guy is not alone in his rediculous beliefs.

That's how I feel, I know that my reasoning is very shallow and also self-serving. But I also know that I am not the first person to make that choice for the reasons above.

[This message has been edited by MRF1366 (edited 07-02-2000).]

8. kundun

kundun Senior Member

I totally agree...individuals with thin skin, who are insecure, and continually need to justify themselves to everyone, and who are overly concerned about what others think of them, should not become a DO...on the other hand, if you have an earnest desire to become a physician and could care less what letters you have at the end of your name and are secure and confident in yourself that you will make a fine and competant physician...go ahead and go to a DO school

9. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member

I see where you are coming from. I am a DO student, and there are so many splinter groups in the DO profession itself that it is really strange.
    You have the "hard core" Manual therapy people constantly spewing the "cult of A.T. Still" at you until you are ready to vomit. You have the rather mundane "we are holistic" and "we treat the whole person" rants and raves that it really can drive you nuts.
    So I guess I can kinda of see why you may want the "leave me alone, I wanna be a doctor, and I want to be my own person" kind of attitude. I support your thinking in this matter.
    But, DO's certainly have an interesting loyalty and a feeling of family (however disfunctional it may be) that is rather unique. These students that I work with will be undoubtedly some of the best surgeons, pediatricians, gynecologists, internists and family medicine doctors that I will ever see.

But getting there requires a greater determination and ability to "wade the the loads of than may be found in the average MD student. Sorta like the "road less traveled" is covered in alot of sticks and brush...you still get to where you may want to go, but it can sometimes be a royal pain in the ass.
    So, good luck in school, and hopefully I will work with you some day.

[This message has been edited by Derek (edited 07-02-2000).]

10. jules_magnetic_fields

jules_magnetic_fields Junior Member

It is true that one should not take these message boards seriously. I never do. It is just a source of entertainment to me.

I don't take this seriously because people may not even be who they say they are. I tutored an undergrad student that was a geology major and a mathematics minor and he mentioned that he would come to this site claiming to be a fourth year med student when he had no intention of going into medicine.

11. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator

Attending Physician
    Please do not take the DO v MD stuff seriously on this board.

I admit that when I was a pre-med, I was worried about the DO v MD issue. When I got into osteopathic medical school, I and my student colleagues were concerned about the lack of knowledge and mis-information about DOs in the general public.

However, during the three years of my FP residency, I became less concerned about these issues.

None of the concerns of my premed or medical school days ever affected me. I've rarely been asked what my degree means, I've never had any problems finding work; my being a DO has never adversely affected me (it's actually helped my career).

Go to whichever medical school suits your personal preference. If you're a good student and a hard-worker, you'll do well in either educational track.

12. travisco

travisco Member

Hey Dr. Burnett, I am curious about how being a DO helped your career more then being an MD family doc would have? I'm simply curious and I'm not going to try and systematically prove that you could have done everything the same way with an MD.

Thanks

Travis

13. Lee

Lee Sleestack
    Staff Member Administrator

Attending Physician
    Travis-

For most physicians, being an MD or a DO makes little to no difference to their careers.

Indeed, it's also a valid argument that MDs and DOs have become so similar that the only demostrable difference between the professions (besides the degree) is that DOs receive additional training in manipulative therapy. Anyone that says that only DOs practice 'whole body' or 'wholistic' medicine hasn't spent enough time working with primary-care MDs.

Now, to get to your question; I can think of three areas in my career that the degree made no difference:

1. I am in family practice with a group of three other physicians -- that would not be any different if I were an MD.
    2. I am on the editorial board of Hippocrates (published by the Massachusetts Medical Society) -- again, no difference.
    3. I co-founded the StudentDoctor Network -- although I first got onto the Internet to create a website for DO students, who's to say I wouldn't have done the same for MD students?

So, where has the degree helped me? Again, I can think of three examples:

1. I am a Director of Medical Education of a DO FP residency program.
    2. I sit on a University of California committee that provides funding for research into osteopathic medicine.
    3. Most important to me is that I am well trained in musculoskeletal manipulation (which I feel is a benefit to my patients).

[​IMG]