Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The Insider's Guide

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by RayneeDeigh, Mar 1, 2007.

1. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    I have a question for anybody who has the Insider's Guide. Does it tell you the acceptance stats for each school? I'm wondering what PGSP's look like, and I can't find it on the website. If you wouldn't mind looking at your book and telling me what the stats are, I'd love you forever.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. JustinSane1

My book is outdated (it's the 2004/2005 ed), but in that year 253 applied, 149 got in (wow), and 36 ended up going.

Damn CA. It has 2 highly research oriented schools which are ridiculously hard to get into, and a bunch of balanced or practice-focused schools that are too easy to get into. *shakes fist at CA for being so polarized*

Why can't there be a difficult or at least mildly difficult school to get into that is practice-focused? WHY!?

4. psychanon

Psychology Student
    My book is even more outdated (2000-2001), but in case you want a multi-year perspective: In 1997 (the year reported in this volume) 212 applied, 149 got in (70%). So I guess they're pretty consistent with the number they accept (at least across these two time points)!

5. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    Thanks guys. Man that kind of sucks huh.

6. Cosmo 23

I have the 2006/07 edition...
    It states that for PGSP, in 2005:
    136 applied
    120 admissions offers
    44 incoming students
    35% received assitanship or fellowship

7. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    Thank you.

Man, now I really don't know what to do. lol

8. joetro

joetro Senior Member

I'm not quite sure why this matters. You got in - good for you! Who cares if you were the only one or if a lot of other people were also accepted. You have an option now.

9. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    Oh I agree, I'm very excited to have been accepted somewhere, especially since I'm only 21. The only problem is that they're a professional school so funding is limited. I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of the huge debt and knowing what sort of reputation the school has is helpful.

I don't mean to sound like a snob, if I did...

10. Quynh2007

Quynh2007 the oracle of destiny

Psychology Student
    I definitely understand. I'm still 20 myself and it's hard to see things 5-7 years down the road. personally, if I was in your situation, and funding would be a huge problem (which it probably would) I would have tried again because the debt isn't worth it getting a year's head start. you would probably get accepted again to this program next year, so why not try it with much more wisdom and insight the 2nd time around. definitely get in touch and keep contact with interested profs. not all will be reciprocal, but it only takes one (for example: me, 1 interview, 1 acceptance = :) course i withdrew from all other schools, but you get the idea)

11. RayneeDeigh

Psychology Student
    Yeah I'm definitely considering it. Once this weekend is over I'm gonna get in touch with someone at the school. My choice will depend on whether or not I qualified for a fellowship, whether or not they have some program that gives students some money to present at conferences, and then whether or not my projected earnings could eventually pay off my debt.

I really love the program curriculum and everything. This is gonna be a tough decision.

12. JatPenn

JatPenn Senior Member

There's legitimate cause for concern here. A school that accepts over 70% of its applicants and offers little in the way of funding smacks of diploma mill.