The International student's guide to Podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grifgin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mods, if possible do not delete.
I am a Canadian, who is on his journey to both citizenship and becoming a practice owner.

Podiatry is a great career! Make sure before you jump in you do your research. This is a 7 years of your youth + 250k~ in loans.
Canadians: If you're in Canada, shadow a DPM, know the difference between a DPM and a Chiropodist. Know the limitation imposed by Canadian law (Foot scope in BC and AB, none in ON etc). Shadow a DPM in the US as well.

School:
Most if not all schools will get you a student visa. This visa is called an F-1. Your first four years in terms of immigration are pretty easy as all is handled by the school

Residency:
You can work on whats called an OPT after being on four years of F-1. Apply for OPT in your 4th year ASAP. This way you can start your residency on July 1st. I know of two who lost out as they did not have status in the US and could not start July 1st.

When you are choosing residency programs: have an open discussion with the director and HR. Let them know you are international and will need a work visa. This is crucial, they will tell you up front if they want you vs. matching there and then opening the box of lies...

Hospital will apply for you work visa (while you're on your OPT). Either a H-1B or a J-1. Both are non-immigrant work visa's. J-1 is cheaper and requires that you return to your country for two years after your training. Hence a H-1B should be your choice. If you have no choice and are given a J-1, you can waive the home residency via: getting a no objection from your origin country and other (wikipedia J-1).

Working:
You've trained for seven years, spent a quarter of million. You'd think people would GIVE you a job. Nope. Start your search year 2. Let your future employer know early on about you being non-US citizen upfront (I cannot emphasize this enough).

Knowing the process and explaining to the prospective employer is important, do you homework before. You will by know your hospital lawyer (through residency). Have a chat/discuss options etc.

Your choices now are (to become a citizen): Exceptional ability, NIW (national interest waiver), PERM.

Exceptional ability: difficult to obtain as you have to show you have risen to the top of your field/have multiple papers published that have been cited by others in your field etc.

PERM: employer has to prove that they advertised the podiatry job, and were unable to get a US citizen to fill the position and hence you were there only choice, again difficult as there are tonnes of newly minted DPMs.

NIW: your most likely choice. Over simplification: it goes like this: you work in an underserved area for five years (which is in national interest) and this will get you citizenship. Your employer needs to show that you will work with medicare/medicaid patients and have a contract that states a five year duration (a few other minor documents are required). Beware of employers that will employ you for peanuts for the five years.

And there you have it...
I will update this thread further as I go along my little journey.
Questions and other folks with experiences do share your experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the information, as a Canadian pre-pod I find it very useful! Were you able to obtain National/Provincial student loans for the full cost of tuition/living expenses?