The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
So $920 round trip from NY to Amsterdam...premium class...yea or nay? Thinking about puling the trigger. Norwegian got a sale going on.
You're still paying for plane tickets? I haven't bought one in like 12 years. Get a Chase Sapphire Reserve and fly for free.

mentos

7+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2009
Status
Key words, understands speech. You know how many people can't pronounce things properly.

That's why I get so many extra phone calls. Our automated system can't understand them.

Also we've had talk to text on phones for awhile, this isn't new technology. Why isn't it already out?
Then they'll just use a touchscreen or order from the app on their phone.

wagrxm2000

Think before responding to this.
5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Is that why Alexa is so popular?
I can tell you exactly what will happen. There will be a button to press for more help and it will get pressed all the time.

It's so interesting how all of a sudden this technology is available but has never been before.

Why didn't McDonald's start doing this in the 90s, just think of the money they could have saved over 20 some years.

You will not see this anytime soon.

Then they'll just use a touchscreen or order from the app on their phone.
A 75 year old person? Really? One of McDonald's main customers in the morning are the elderly.

I've seen the touchscreens in the store, no one used them.

It's like one time I was at a rental company. This man came over and asked if anyone wanted to use the kiosk. Everyone just turned away and said no. He said you would be next up, still no one.

I must speak like I have marbles in my mouth then cause Siri cannot type more than a line or two for me before the errors get out of control.
I've never had an issue

But that also is my main point, somehow this company has figured out how to understand marble mouth?

And just to prove my point to all three of you, how often do you talk to the automation instead of immediately asking to speak to someone?

I am in no way in denial to AI taking over, I think people just don't realize how difficult it is going to be. You guys and I could easily handle this but the older population will make it extremely difficult to not still have someone at drive thru. This is why I think we don't already have this.

There is nothing special about speaking programs already out. We already have the necessary technology. It will just be difficult to go all in or else it would have already been done.

Do people really think McDonald's has just been sitting there wasting money on employees they don't need to pay?

I expect some excellent sarcasm from you @owlegrad

Last edited:
Reactions: lord999

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
I must speak like I have marbles in my mouth then cause Siri cannot type more than a line or two for me before the errors get out of control.
Possibly change your language. I actually use the Singlish (Singaporean English) setting, and even though I'm not close to Singaporean, apparently my speech patterns match better with that.

I kind of wish there was a "Romantic speaking English" (Romantic meaning Spanish, French, Portuguese, and Italian) and a "Tonal speaking English" (Chinese and Vietnamese) function for those who have weird inflections.

Reactions: owlegrad

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
One of the reasons why I love Olive Garden but never eat there is that within my city, an Italian restaurant has to be better than Olive Garden or it is out of business. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with Olive Garden as a restaurant to me, but I like Italian food, and I want better normally, but I'll accept Olive Garden as a baseline and be happy, and some people get to eat good Italian food for not very much.

AI does this to people. AI is never that good, but it puts a floor beneath the worst. This is why there is job displacement and why minimum wages have that market clearing rate, there are just some people out there that can't be productive to that standard, that you'd rather pay off with less than actually have them work. To have AI as a baseline for better people, sure, I'm with it. It's still frustrating when you want better, but I prefer it to speaking with transnational customer service and other outsourced labor.

But what happens when labor is displaced, well, same scenario as the Highland Clearances:

owlegrad

Uncontrollable Sarcasm Machine
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
I expect some excellent sarcasm from you @owlegrad
Sorry to disappoint you but I do not believe you have “never had a problem” with voice recognition software. Or perhaps the reason you’ve never had a problem is that you don’t use it that much. Or perhaps you have perfect diction for it, who knows.

Oddly though it seems to me that I am agreeing with your larger point - that while the technology exists it hasn’t completely displaced the people that it can. You are right about the kiosks at McD. I use them every time I go (unless I use the app, which often have better deals anyway) but I do not think I have ever seen anyone else use them, even people way younger than me just seem to que up at the counter.

I think where technology really shines is areas where you don’t have an expectation of a human helping you. Think of Uber. They never had a person who would book a ride for you so you don’t even think of that when you do it yourself on the app. Same for Postmates. Really any web or app based service. Heck even Tesla can only be ordered online, even if you find a showroom and order there they literally just go to the website and order it from the Tesla website with you.

I think that turned into a meaningless ramble, sorry about that. I’ll try to bring my A-grade sarcasm to future posts, promise.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Sorry to disappoint you but I do not believe you have “never had a problem” with voice recognition software. Or perhaps the reason you’ve never had a problem is that you don’t use it that much. Or perhaps you have perfect diction for it, who knows.

Oddly though it seems to me that I am agreeing with your larger point - that while the technology exists it hasn’t completely displaced the people that it can. You are right about the kiosks at McD. I use them every time I go (unless I use the app, which often have better deals anyway) but I do not think I have ever seen anyone else use them, even people way younger than me just seem to que up at the counter.

I think where technology really shines is areas where you don’t have an expectation of a human helping you. Think of Uber. They never had a person who would book a ride for you so you don’t even think of that when you do it yourself on the app. Same for Postmates. Really any web or app based service. Heck even Tesla can only be ordered online, even if you find a showroom and order there they literally just go to the website and order it from the Tesla website with you.

I think that turned into a meaningless ramble, sorry about that. I’ll try to bring my A-grade sarcasm to future posts, promise.
That's kind of where I'm getting at. You pretty much have to rip the band-aid off or people won't adjust. I remember when Walgreens had those kiosks that completely flopped. There's absolutely no reason anyone should be calling a pharmacy for a refill or even better dropping a bottle off.

AI is taking over but it's going to be much slower then some seem to think.

Oh and no I used to screw things up but I know I have to speak slower then usual.

OP
B

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
It is not as difficult as you think. McD will probably “beam” someone in or ask the driver to drive to the window if AI can’t recognize your voice.

Seriously...how difficult is it to say “I want number 2”? Even if it is 90% effective, it will save McD a lot of money and other fast food will follow or they will not be able to compete with McD.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Born: Parkersburg, WV | Now: Montgomery TWP, PA
Status
Pharmacist
You're still paying for plane tickets? I haven't bought one in like 12 years. Get a Chase Sapphire Reserve and fly for free.
I think I have enough miles on my venture card, actually...

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
It is not as difficult as you think. McD will probably “beam” someone in or ask the driver to drive to the window if AI can’t recognize your voice.

Seriously...how difficult is it to say “I want number 2”? Even if it is 90% effective, it will save McD a lot of money and other fast food will follow or they will not be able to compete with McD.
People vastly overestimate how unique and special the human brain is.

Reactions: Sine Cura

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014

I forgot you don't work retail..... It's way harder then you think.

People vastly overestimate how unique and special the human brain is.
So why don't we already have it?

Did McDonald's suddenly come up with this idea?

We've literally have had this for over 20 years.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
No we haven't. The emerging software is going to be able to detect and understand multiple languages, accents, and slang. As well as have integrated AI that will be able to have seamless, realistic sounding conversations with patrons.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
No we haven't. The emerging software is going to be able to detect and understand multiple languages, accents, and slang. As well as have integrated AI that will be able to have seamless, realistic sounding conversations with patrons.
Obviously I meant a form of understanding language. My point though is why haven't they been working on this until now?

We'll see what happens, only thing I see is they integrate it but don't let any employees off since they will need backup in case of confusion.

Sine Cura

10 seconds or less
7+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
The new CVS system can recognize words when I use my Grover voice and also Peter Griffin voice so I consider that progress

OP
B

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
I forgot you don't work retail..... It's way harder then you think.

So why don't we already have it?

Did McDonald's suddenly come up with this idea?

You can say the same thing about self driving car. Just because it is not here yet doesn’t mean there is no progress.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
You can say the same thing about self driving car. Just because it is not here yet doesn’t mean there is no progress.
But that's what I'm getting at

We've been working on these things for many years. Who knows when it will actually be perfected so we can use them without backup.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist

We've been working on these things for many years. Who knows when it will actually be perfected so we can use them without backup.
That's kind of along the lines of what Poland thought then the next thing they knew Hitler was rolling tanks down the streets of Krakow.

There is constant, incremental progress. We aren't too far off right now. Just look at where the tech stands right now.

OP
B

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003

I am not sure why you are in denial. You already see how popular these voice activated devices are. They are popular because they work. It is only a matter of time before the drive thru person is replaced by AI.

I think you are in denial because this would hurt your fast food franchise....take a step back and think a minute. Don’t make decisions based on emotions.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
I am not sure why you are in denial. You already see how popular these voice activated devices are. They are popular because they work. It is only a matter of time before the drive thru person is replaced by AI.

I think you are in denial because this would hurt your fast food franchise....take a step back and think a minute. Don’t make decisions based on emotions.
This isn't denial, you just want your $1k a month and for some reason have to be right.

I personally do not think AI will take over quicker then new jobs are created.

This has nothing to do with emotions, AI has been taking over for years now, it's not going to happen all of a sudden.

I would like you to take a step back and ask yourself, there are already kiosks in McDonald's, why do they still have employees taking orders?

OP
B

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
This isn't denial, you just want your $1k a month and for some reason have to be right.

I personally do not think AI will take over quicker then new jobs are created.

This has nothing to do with emotions, AI has been taking over for years now, it's not going to happen all of a sudden.

I would like you to take a step back and ask yourself, there are already kiosks in McDonald's, why do they still have employees taking orders?
That is a dumb argument. There are still taxi...doesn’t mean Uber is not destroying their industry.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
You don’t think long term...that is why.

That is so far away.

The question is how safe will driverless cars have to show they are in order for them to be allowed to be on the road.

The other thing, if given the option what will people choose, driverless or driver. There will be a ton of push back with people wanting to pay a driver instead of giving their money to some giant corporation.

And yes I understand there are already driverless cars on the road.

You keep assuming jobs will be eliminated quicker than created that's the problem in your thinking.

Last edited:

stoichiometrist

7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2011
Back in 2012-2014 there were talks that driverless cars would quickly take off and make up most of the cars on the road by 2016-2020. Right now we're not even close.

It seems just as overhyped as provider status was for us.

Reactions: wagrxm2000

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Back in 2012-2014 there were talks that driverless cars would quickly take off and make up most of the cars on the road by 2016-2020. Right now we're not even close.

It seems just as overhyped as provider status was for us.
I don't think any credible expert thought that the autonomous car revolution would happen in 4 years.

Reactions: owlegrad

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
I don't think any credible expert thought that the autonomous car revolution would happen in 4 years.
Yet all the experts that post here know the future is so close that it will destroy millions of jobs without creating any?

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist
Yet all the experts that post here know the future is so close that it will destroy millions of jobs without creating any?
It will. It's in the not immediate, but near future. This is something you need to plan for in advance. You can't just wait until there are millions of unemployed people before you take action.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
It will. It's in the not immediate, but near future. This is something you need to plan for in advance. You can't just wait until there are millions of unemployed people before you take action.
Do you think some form of the green new deal ever occurs and if so do you think no one will be employed?

Asking for a friend

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Do you think some form of the green new deal ever occurs and if so do you think no one will be employed?

Asking for a friend
Do you think that automation and AI hasn't eliminated jobs? Do you think that trend isn't going to continue?

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Do you think that automation and AI hasn't eliminated jobs? Do you think that trend isn't going to continue?
So no answer?

I've already said AI is taking over, I just don't believe it moves quick enough to eliminate more jobs then created.

Stick to the sarcasm or read all my posts.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
15+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2003
Status
Pharmacist

Asking for a friend
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But it's not going to give everyone a job either way.

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But it's not going to give everyone a job either way.
Those are going to be some good paying jobs.

In other news, we are 9 points away from an all time high in the S&P.

Thank you President Trump.

Last edited:

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
So no answer?

I've already said AI is taking over, I just don't believe it moves quick enough to eliminate more jobs then created.

Stick to the sarcasm or read all my posts.
I read them. I just think it’s funny how wrong you are. Like do you really believe what your saying? How many people are needed to create the AI that puts other people out of work? Maybe a few hundred programmers vs the millions of jobs it can eliminate?

I mean your argument is that new jobs are created faster than they are destroyed. If that’s true why is there unemployment?

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Those are going to be some good paying jobs.

In other news, we are 9 points away from an all time high in the S&P.

Thank you President Trump.
Do you thank him when it crashes as well?

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
I read them. I just think it’s funny how wrong you are. Like do you really believe what your saying? How many people are needed to create the AI that puts other people out of work? Maybe a few hundred programmers vs the millions of jobs it can eliminate?

I mean your argument is that new jobs are created faster than they are destroyed. If that’s true why is there unemployment?
You may want to look at the unemployment reports.

Do you thank him when it crashes as well?
The crash will be due to the mass freak out when people realize Warren will be the next president.

People want a crash so bad so they can say Trump failed.

Last edited:

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
You may want to look at the unemployment reports.

The crash will be due to the mass freak out when people realize Warren will be the next president.

People want a crash so bad so they can say Trump failed.
So when the market is up Trump did it but when the market is down a Democrat did it?

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
So when the market is up Trump did it but when the market is down a Democrat did it?
Um a market freak out when there's a realization who will win? Uh yeah why would that be Trump's fault? Remember what happened when Trump was elected? Most give that to Obama but why should he get that credit?

It's going to happen just watch.

Warren is not pro business, the decline will be necessary.

owlegrad

Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2009
Locked in the basement
www.facebook.com
Status
Pharmacist
Um a market freak out when there's a realization who will win? Uh yeah why would that be Trump's fault? Remember what happened when Trump was elected? Most give that to Obama but why should he get that credit?

It's going to happen just watch.

Warren is not pro business, the decline will be necessary.
What about the last market turn down? Or any of the others that have happened while Trump has been in office? Why does he get credit for the upturns but not the downturns?

Wasn’t the market improving long before Trump won the election? I thought they were but I could be wrong.

If Warren is so bad for the market why do you think she will win?

wagrxm2000

5+ Year Member
Sep 17, 2014
What about the last market turn down? Or any of the others that have happened while Trump has been in office? Why does he get credit for the upturns but not the downturns?

Wasn’t the market improving long before Trump won the election? I thought they were but I could be wrong.

If Warren is so bad for the market why do you think she will win?
People want free stuff which is why I prefer Yang so I can actually pocket the free stuff.

Its also why Biden needs to win.