The Investment Thread (stocks, bonds, real estate, retirement, just not gold)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since everyone and their mom seems to be hopping on the NIO train, XPEV (another Chinese EV company) is IPOing sometime tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad.

Guarantee it falls now.

How low do you think?

Are people still contributing to total international index?

I am pretty much all total US now. I am not gonna cash out the internationals that I have but I haven’t been buying it since past four months.

US stocks are expensive now and only make up half of the world's economy. You should diversify. Experts recommend your portfolio to be 15-40% international index and right now they're on sale. Vanguard Target date funds usually have around 30-40% international.

Since everyone and their mom seems to be hopping on the NIO train, XPEV (another Chinese EV company) is IPOing sometime tomorrow.

For some reason people here are only interested in NIO. No one talks about SHLL, WKHS, NKLA, LI etc even though they've had better gains than NIO.

How low do you think?

US stocks are expensive now and only make up half of the world's economy. You should diversify. Experts recommend your portfolio to be 15-40% international index and right now they're on sale. Vanguard Target date funds usually have around 30-40% international.

For some reason people here are only interested in NIO. No one talks about SHLL, WKHS, NKLA, LI etc even though they've had better gains than NIO.

It's only because a certain person keeps bringing it up.

Everyone knows I love FAAAMNT but I don't need to bring it up every single day.

Oh and I have no clue if it drops tomorrow. It's extremely overbought but could keep going.

Members don't see this ad :)
Property tax is a little high in TX... But for me it's kind of a long term plan. I am not looking for cash flow right now. I plan on putting 20% down and finance for 15 yrs and use all the rent proceed to pay down the property. Hoping to pay off in 10 years, and then I use that cash flow to finance my 'semi retirement' lifestyle.

I live in Texas and yea....property taxes are high. Cypress is nice and building up, but the property taxes are pretty ridiculous (mid to high 3s).

Reactions: 1 users

I'm long on SHLL and have been holding on to warrants for a while now. Don't know enough about WKHS and LI to have an opinion either way. I am pretty sure NKLA is just a scam. XPEV looks promising.

How low do you think?

I got ZERO dollar in international or emerging markets. I have zero faith in these markets as someone who is from a 3rd world country. Corruption is rampant in some of these emerging markets.

If one is investing for 15+ yrs, just dump your money into S&P 500 companies (VOO OR VOOG).

I got ZERO dollar in international or emerging markets. I have zero faith in these markets as someone who is from a 3rd world country. Corruption is rampant in some of these emerging markets.

If one is investing for 15+ yrs, just dump your money into S&P 500 companies (VOO OR VOOG).

LoL there's corruption in US stocks too.

Reactions: 1 user
What does the warrant mean?

They let you redeem future shares And are specific to SPACs (such as SHLL, NKLA, DKNG, etc). Warrants are more like options in a sense, but depending on the original filing, typically 1-2 warrants + 11.50 = 1 share.

So warrants are nice because they free up your capital for other investments. However, they intrinsically have no value until after a successful merger. When they are exercised, it means the shares themselves are diluted.

Powell officially saying that the Fed is willing to allow inflation to run hotter than normal in order to support the labor market and broader economy.

Seems pretty good for everyone, interest rates will be low for a long time.

End of July update

JPM: @wagrxm2000 -$32.55
NVDA: @Sine Cura +$36.58
BA: @lane one -$110.50
MELI: @PharmDBro2017 +$167.27
SQ: @msweph +$73.76
T: @redfish955 +$22.61
LULU: @owlegrad +$37.81
PLNT: @mentos -$113.31
WMT: @PharmDminus -$15.23
AZN: @WVUPharm2007 -$20.06
ROST: @Momus +$62.41

Cash reserve: $541.73
Original fund: $11,000.00
Current total: $11,081.14

S&P 500 up 1.99%
DOW down -0.98%
NASDAQ up 2.74%
SDN up 0.74%

You guys are currently lagging both the S&P500 and NASDAQ.

I expect better from you guys.

Anyone looking to change positions?

Boeing and Planet fitness have had a huge effect on the fund contributing about 2% of losses.

PLNT looking good today.

PLNT looking good today.
You looking to switch positions?

Someone needs to make a trade. Only AZN and ATT are currently barely negative.

The fund currently sits at about up 8%. I need to go back and look at the price the S&P was at. I'm updating at the end of the month though

What's interesting going back is I think I got you to switch out of Gilead since there was AZN which so far is a good decision but I also tried to get owle out of Lulu since there already was an apparel company. Good thing that didn't happen.

Last edited:
You know I would have chosen NIO. Up 100% since July 1st.

@Momus is consistent. He tells you he can’t beat the S&P 500 and then he goes off and proves it.

Shouldn't have gotten banned....

I kept asking for your stock pick

Interesting. How did you get those?

I bought back my 7.50 blink put for like 10 bucks profit per contract. if it dips again I'll buy again, or the $5 one.

Just letting the value decline on my 9/18 and hoping the price creeps up.

You use a real broker, not RH. Jk I actually use RH, but they don’t offer warrants. All my warrants are with Schwab.

Members don't see this ad :)
You looking to switch positions?

Someone needs to make a trade. Only AZN and ATT are currently barely negative.

The fund currently sits at about up 8%. I need to go back and look at the price the S&P was at. I'm updating at the end of the month though

What's interesting going back is I think I got you to switch out of Gilead since there was AZN which so far is a good decision but I also tried to get owle out of Lulu since there already was an apparel company. Good thing that didn't happen.

We both told you TSLA and you said no. Then you said you'd hold until December but keep asking for trades now. I didn't know you were going to trade.

We both told you TSLA and you said no. Then you said you'd hold until December but keep asking for trades now. I didn't know you were going to trade.

No one has to make a trade and Tesla was over $1k and I wanted an even spread across all stocks bought. I might change it up next year if I decide to keep going and let the fund be more uneven towards different stocks.

I'm just asking if anyone wants to trade since that's the only advantage stock pickers have. I am still holding until the end of the year though.

Wow, Walmart
View attachment 317065
I purchased some MS stocks hoping they would buy TikTok. I am very bullish with TikTok. They already have 100M monthly active users in the US. I will buy whatever company that buys TikTok.

I'm very curious how Walmart would use tiktok. Would they add it to Walmart + when it comes out to promote memberships or leave it as is.

Absolute tragedy in XPEV. Was suppose to IPO at $15, but opened at $23...

Wow Xpeng just opened and it's already up 56%.

The stock might spike because people are trying to get on the EV train. I am not too impressed with XPEV. It doesn’t seem to have anything special.

Tesla and NIO are the industry leader.

Based on market cap vs vehicle delivery, it seems undervalued compared to NIO. But tbh, I was just trying to get a quick same day or 2-3 day trade.

BABA owns a big portion of XPEV so I want it to do well since I own BABA.

They are in a cash crunch right now so that is why they are IPOing. Their car is similar to the model 3 so it might not offer much of a competitive against Tesla.

There is room for more than one or two EV companies so let’s see.

100% agree that there is room for multiple EV companies. It’s difficult picking the winners from all the EV companies. Regardless of whether XPENG does well or not, BABA will continue to kill it, especially since Alipay is IPOing.

I get that but from a landlord’s point of view, it doesn’t matter.

Also, property tax in California can only be increased by a max of 2% a year. If you have a fixed mortgage, the cost of your rental becomes cheaper and cheaper as time goes by.

Yup. And I'm no real estate expert, but Cypress proper seems a bit more well to do/more owners than renters. There are outskirts of cypress further north with lower property tax and a bit lower income. Those may be good places to look for rentals.

How does Texas determine property tax? Is it higher if it is in a flood zone?

In California, it is mostly the same from one county to another (some differences from the cities selling bonds).

It is determined by each municipality/whatever you call it. Most of the difference in % from area to area is if there is a MUD tax or not, as well as how much emphasis the area puts on funding public schools. I live pretty close to Cypress and my tax rate is almost half in comparison. Flood zone only really directly affects flood insurance and general homeowners insurance rates.

Thanks for the info! What is Texas sale tax? Any other tax that is special to Texas?

It is nice to live in a state that doesn’t have income tax.

State sales tax is around 8.25% I believe. Yea I still pay a lot less in taxes overall compared to most states.

I bought 13 shares of WMT last wk as I really want to own their stocks for awhile. It is a nice surprise tbh.

Alright friends you have convinced me.. Will buy 100 shares tomorrow and see what happens.

What's your next move? Need to make sure I don't own that stock

Joking aside, I hope you buy more and lower your average cost.

• Haha
So turned out I didn’t have any balance left into my vanguard money market account. So I tried buying it though linked bank account like I always do with index funds.

Nope! Individual stocks/ ETFs gotta be bought from money market. So it will be next week before I can transfer balance from bank and be able to make a purchase. Blessing in disguise? We will see.

Tesla new ATH premarket. Wild guys wild.

Wishing I just bought Tesla on the dip instead of "diversifying" into American Express, msft, FB, APPL, JPM.... all the tech ones ar least did well. But being up a measly 10% on some of those banks sucks.

How many shares did you get?

I opened a TSLA weekly (8/28) debit spread yesterday "accidentally" (put in limit order not expecting it to execute) and yesterday's dip punched through both of my strikes mid-day.

PLZ stay ATH kthx

Tesla gets brought up all the time.

There was literally an argument days before it exploded that I profited on nicely

There is absolutely nothing special about NIO compared to all the other EV stocks. You could flip a coin and pick any random one and have the same chances of it going up.

The battery swap flopped for Tesla, NIO needs it to workout to be relevant.

They've clearly ran out of money again already.

There is absolutely nothing special about NIO compared to all the other EV stocks. You could flip a coin and pick any random one and have the same chances of it going up.

The battery swap flopped for Tesla, NIO needs it to workout to be relevant.

They've clearly ran out of money again already.

Battery swap is just an option, you can charge too just like any other EV. They also have BaaS. No need to own a battery that will degrade. This will allow buyers to pay 10k less for a new luxury EV. No other company offers this yet.

Having a opposite viewpoint is good.

Battery swap/battery leasing:

1) it allows you to lease a standard battery (cheaper) which is more than adequate for daily use and then swap it for a more powerful battery when you need to make long trips. This significantly reduces the cost of the car.

2) there is a lack of charging stations in the big cities.

3) recurrent revenue for NIO

4) Owners don’t need to buy a new battery when the technology improved. The car can also be updated just like Tesla and therefore, maintaining the value of the car.

The battery swap/leasing is just one component. More importantly, NIO builds a quality car that rivals Tesla. Its fast growth is indicative of that.

NIO received another upgrade today.

View attachment 317144

So battery swap is the only thing they have over all the other EV companies?

And you are confident in this even though it flopped for Tesla?

See below:

What happened to being happy when others make good money?

Remember when you kept on saying the S&P 500 is going back to its March low? Or when you kept on saying real estate is going to crash?

I was the voice of reason on this forum and more importantly, I got it right.

You are just being repetitive at this point. What's the P/E ratio right now? That's right it's way too high.

Real estate is in an enormous bubble right now and the government is the only reason it isn't popping

Anyways why are you ignoring my statement? So what is the advantage NIO has? You aren't saying anything. What makes them special? Why not randomly pick a different EV company?

EV has been hot and that's the only reason all these companies have 10 billion plus market caps even though they have minimum sales.

The current P/E ratio is over 30. Only twice in history has that happened before. Both times were before huge drops.

You have all these people looking at their accounts watching them soar thinking they are about to retire.

I could very well be wrong but it has never happened in history for us to stay at these levels.

My opinions are based on how the market has reacted in the past. If I'm wrong, I will definitely be happy for everyone including myself for making a bunch of money.

So let's think about it. Tesla now charges for the superchargers. It's about $22 for a full charge.

NIO is essentially doing this for free but require man power to do it plus the facility.

What's going to happen when 100k cars are out there? How many workers will be even?

The break even I think is 7 years. How many people will buy a new car before that?
You didn’t know the Fed was going to jump in?

You have to ask yourself...what is more important to the Fed...popping up the economy or the risk of inflation? You are dead wrong if you think risk of inflation is more important.

If you think the bubble is going to pop then why are you buying equity right now? Shouldn’t you be betting against the stock and housing market?

The stock market is now 40% higher than its March low. Housing is up 8.5% YTY.

You have been wrong. I hope you realize that.

You need to stop saying I'm wrong. We're in a bubble

So battery swap is the only thing they have over all the other EV companies?

And you are confident in this even though it flopped for Tesla?

No, read our posts. They offer BaaS which allows you to purchase the cars without the battery for about 10k less.

What is Tesla's P/E ratio? I don't see you ragging on them.

You sound like a hater cause you didn't buy any last month.

No, read our posts. They offer BaaS which allows you to purchase the cars without the battery for about 10k less.

What is Tesla's P/E ratio? I don't see you ragging on them.

You sound like a hater cause you didn't buy any last month.

All EV is in a bubble.

See my post on battery swapping. Huge concerns there